Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I just got back from hangin with Mom at the nursing center and checked the score since I was not watching.

I am happy for the win. As I wrote in a thread a few weeks ago that I want a coach who expects performance from himself and the team all of the time.

I was nervous given Barnes' comments after the first game Thursday. I was hoping for some comments about spurring offensive performance. This should be something that can be done given the very good to great defense which should be able to produce offensive opportunities.

That is what will make me excited about this team and I have never said Barnes should be fired. What I would love is a team that will battle to get to the final four.

Today the team at least did that, I think the inside guys may have done some of that today, and I hope the coach did. Again, I did not watch the game.

I was glad we played Duke since they had less scoring over the year than the team they beat, but I did not think there would be a convincing win.

Hopefully, we keep this up and battle for the wins.

The ones who say those who do not agree with them are negavols know inside that the team today played like a contender (from all I have learned so far). The team the other day would have not beaten many at all today and the coaching / commentator authorities know that even if they think they are all time coaches and commentators in their minds. They see no issue with losing 6 of the last 10 regular season games.

All Barnes needs to do is help his team bring the intensity. There will be loses with it because that happens, but lack of intensity will kill a team when the ball won't go in the basket, especially in a tournament with the best. When there is intensity under control, the ball will start getting into the basket.

tenor.gif

I'll take Bruce Pearl. He does pretty well with his talent and his teams play with intensity. They lost the touch in the second half against a number 1.

I'll take Rick Barnes also if he gets his teams to play with intensity on defense and offense.

I'll take Bruce Pearl. He does pretty well with his talent and his teams play with intensity. They lost the touch in the second half against a number 1.

I'll take Rick Barnes also if he gets his teams to play with intensity on defense and offense.

This is not the time…or ever. Bruce Pearl’s offense is no better than Barnes’. Pearl’s just got hot in their FF run. Pearl’s has been awful this year.

Want to know how many 25-win seasons the basketball program has in its entire history? 7

Want to know how many of those Barnes has? 4 in the past 6 seasons.

Want to know how many Pearl had in his 6 seasons? 2

Want to know how many 25-win seasons the basketball program has in its entire history? 7

Want to know how many of those Barnes has? 4 in the past 6 seasons.

Want to know how many Pearl had in his 6 seasons? 2

Thank you stat man. Pearl had one year under 20 wins at UT in a pretty good conference beating some teams who were quite good. Barnes was in the ACC, but I don't remember him beating NC and Duke a lot.

I still will take Pearl because his teams' intensity and I will also take Barnes if the intensity is there. That intensity was not there at the end of the season as pointed out although it must have gone above your head (Do you really think Krzyzewski would be relaxed about 4-6 over 10 games?)

That intensity was not there for a good bit of the second half Thursday, but the Vols pulled it out. I understand Zig's injury is big, but great teams overcome. Today seemed to be be that overcoming atitude although Duke's somewhat defensive orientation and youth were a plus for us.

Once again, intensity can help win games, but like I wrote above, it does not happen 100% of the time. It will happen more than not. Duke's old coach was like that with his attitude in my opinion. His teams played basically all of the time (not being a fan, but it's true). He just did not seem to be passive even though he is a quiet type guy.

Rick Barnes has been a good coach and sometimes very good. I hope this is one of his very good coaching years. I'm glad he has a good record over the years, but I would like to see him go deep in the tournament and now is the time for intensity every minute of every game.

We are still in it so that means we can win it. Go Vols!

Thank you stat man. Pearl had one year under 20 wins at UT in a pretty good conference beating some teams who were quite good. Barnes was in the ACC, but I don't remember him beating NC and Duke a lot.

I still will take Pearl because his teams' intensity and I will also take Barnes if the intensity is there. That intensity was not there at the end of the season as pointed out although it must have gone above your head (Do you really think Krzyzewski would be relaxed about 4-6 over 10 games?)

That intensity was not there for a good bit of the second half Thursday, but the Vols pulled it out. I understand Zig's injury is big, but great teams overcome. Today seemed to be be that overcoming atitude although Duke's somewhat defensive orientation and youth were a plus for us.

Once again, intensity can help win games, but like I wrote above, it does not happen 100% of the time. It will happen more than not. Duke's old coach was like that with his attitude in my opinion. His teams played basically all of the time (not being a fan, but it's true). He just did not seem to be passive even though he is a quiet type guy.

Rick Barnes has been a good coach and sometimes very good. I hope this is one of his very good coaching years. I'm glad he has a good record over the years, but I would like to see him go deep in the tournament and now is the time for intensity every minute of every game.

What is your buddy Pearl doing right now? Choked away a 10 point halftime lead and allowed a team to score 50 in the 2nd half. That sure is some great intensity! Yeah, no thanks. Rick Barnes allowed a team to score 2 more points than that in an entire game. I’m grateful for the Pearl years but I know a better coach whenever I see one and Rick Barnes is a better coach.

Last edited:

Some of our fans care about the strangest things. Because Barnes isn’t jumping around on the sidelines, he isn’t intense? Our offense has nothing to do with intensity. It’s about running efficiently and hitting shots.

This SEC right now is much tougher than some of Pearl’s years.

Some of our fans care about the strangest things. Because Barnes isn’t jumping around on the sidelines, he isn’t intense? Our offense has nothing to do with intensity. It’s about running efficiently and hitting shots.

Barnes also didn’t inherit one of the greatest college basketball shooters of all-time at his disposal for his inaugural season (Chris Lofton) 🤷‍♂️

Give Barnes guys like CJ Watson, Lofton, and JaJuan Smith for his first season and see what he does. He had to completely transform a guy’s shot and turned him into a 20 point scorer whenever he got here.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
What is your buddy Pearl doing right now? Choked away a 10 point halftime lead and allowed a team to score 50 in the 2nd half. That sure is some great intensity! Yeah, no thanks. Rick Barnes allowed a team to score 2 more points than that in an entire game. I’m grateful for the Pearl years but I know a better coach whenever I see one and Rick Barnes is a better coach.

Pearl is not my buddy, but nice message board commentary. Once again, I apologize for thinking I might get some agreement that intensity has been lacking and it has cost us and almost cost us Thursday. It seems like it was no big deal and that happens sometimes, but it happened too much this season. Fortunately, we are still alive.

I also pointed out that Auburn who does not really have such great talent was playing a number 1 seed Houston who is not a fluke. They Auburn were 7th in the conference this year while we unfortunately fell from 1st in the country to 5th in the SEC.

Please continue with your stat man stuff if you like, but I would also like to understand why going 40% in the last 10 is productive and why the top coaches that I have seen in my lifetime did not seem to allow that to happen. Interesting that you just ignore that. We can change and have intensity which I have been saying, but that has been an issue this season. Chareles Barkley just commented on our intensity on defense today. I agree, but I think the offense had that attitude and I would be quite impressed to hear how we were that way during those losses earlier this season.

Please tell me also why we dropped the intensity and let a team we could have easily handled back in the game Thursday and why we let teams like the commodedoors and gturds beat us along with a&m plus not getting at least 1 against both ky and mo even though they were pretty good (Some may argue a&m, but I say not.

You are acting like anyone who has had issues with the performance is off their rocker.

Once again, while I have been disappointed by our intensity and purpose at times, I have never wanted coach fired.

Also once again, I want our coach to be intense on both sides of the ball. Great teams in many sports play great on offense and defense and do it with purpose and intensity. They look to make things work when times are tough and try harder and sometimes try new things.

The great coaches have been able to do that. Our coach can be great. Let's hope the team will continue from today and not fall back.

And so, onward stat man!

Yeah. That is why I was pointing out Coach K. He showed his intensity by running around and jumping.

Not using blue here. If one cannot figure out the sarcasm, he has not watched college bball since the 90s and / or is just plain dumb.

VN Store

Back