Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

2 decades ago, we would've been thrilled to death to have the Mark Richt of hoops running our program.

I know we're all tired of being just good, but this is the best run Tennessee has ever had. This is how you build towards being a true powerhouse. Pearl didn't do this well and he's slimey. Cuonzo had 1 awesome run in him and it wasn't very much fun otherwise. My lifetime as a Vols hoops fan has been mostly hell, otherwise. We should be happy with this. I'm not trying to be preachy, I'm reminding myself even.

These threads crack me up. Once Barnes leaves and we are in the valley again (I hope not, but history says that will happen) half the people complaining about him will be nowhere to find on this forum. They’re only watching now bc we’re good.
Is what it is. Some can't wait until we lose a game. They are absolutely giddy with excitement to point out their "told you so" moments. Be thankful their giddy moments are limited.

I guess TN had some delusional fans that wanted Fulmer to be our coach again in the last couple of coaching searches, so you may be right that a few Texas fans would want him back.

It's not so much wanting him back, it's that if you are going to send a guy like Barnes packing you better have someone at least as good replacing. So far, they've whiffed in both basketball and football.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
It's not so much wanting him back, it's that if you are going to send a guy like Barnes packing you better have someone at least as good replacing. So far, they've whiffed in both basketball and football.

I've never said he needs to be fired. I'm just saying that too many of our fans seem to think he is above reproach, which is absurd.

Barnes Coaching in Basketball, is like Richt Coached in Football. He’ll win enough regular season games to be in the top 15 year in and year out. Currently, it appears this is good enough to be the Head Basketball Coach at TN. He’ll always lose a few games he shouldn’t and will never do well in the Big Tourney.

Chris Lofton deserved a better effort today…..really a Dang shame.
Are you related to Pat Adams, bc your take reflects the same quality of vision he displayed today!

Coach Barnes has my 100% support! He won the SEC last year if anyone forgot? We happen to have a realistic shot at winning it again and the ncaa tournament... we have a good shot still. We should be competitive the next couple years too. Don't expect the next John Wooden to just show up out of nowhere. Even John Wooden had a mega booster called Sam Gilbert I believe who paid the top basketball recruits lots of cash and material items to get ucla so good for so many years. You want a better chance at getting the Vols to a championship... find a way to donate to NIL and pay up. If your not doing that then might as well enjoy competing for championships. If we are not doing that anymore or often enough then go ahead and state your case! Bad loss... let's rally around Coach Barnes and our players and play better next game! GBO!

i dont remember coach barnes getting on the floor and missing wide open layups i think that falls on the players unless he teaches them how to miss them.

Nobody should want Barnes fired, but anytime we lose to Kentucky the crazies come out. It’s nice being a top 15-20 program. For Tennessee is perfectly acceptable and it’s really nice to have good, consistent basketball. The offense is just always gonna be like this with what Barnes run. It is what it is.

That’s what Texas fans said. They would give anything to have him back.
Thats only because their last coach like to smack his girl around. Beard was a good damn coach. For anyone to think there are no better coaches out there than Barnes are just shortsighted. Make no mistake, Ricks a good coach and good guy. But this loss is AWFUL. We had a chance to even the home series all time. We had Lofton and several well known Alumni here. We couldve kept pace for the SEC champioship. All that... POOF. GONZO. Complete choke job by everyone involved.

Nobody should want Barnes fired, but anytime we lose to Kentucky the crazies come out. It’s nice being a top 15-20 program. For Tennessee is perfectly acceptable and it’s really nice to have good, consistent basketball. The offense is just always gonna be like this with what Barnes run. It is what it is.

Make no mistake, I think Barnes deserves some criticism. If for nothing else, the team just didn't seem ready. He can't hit layups and all and that's on the players, but a "crap the bed" moment like this for a coach that fair or not has a reputation isn't a great thing.

Reactions: Native Orange
Make no mistake, I think Barnes deserves some criticism. If for nothing else, the team just didn't seem ready. He can't hit layups and all and that's on the players, but a "crap the bed" moment like this for a coach that fair or not has a reputation isn't a great thing.

If your best offensive play is “throw it down to Plavsic” for a game, your game plan was probably poor.

I was hoping Phillips could really be relied on to create offense in late shot clock situations but he’s obviously not ready. ON can somewhat get decent shots in face up situations but he’s not good enough to run the offense through. Santi/ZZ/JJJ just don’t have enough athleticism and/or skill to get easy shots. If they don’t shoot 35% from 3 it’s going to be a rock fight. Like today

Almost as bad as losing to the worst team in the SEC at home (UK).

Lol, this is why Barnes will be at TN for years and the Basketball Team will continue to have the same type of seasons.

You must be some kind of Dumb ass loser. I didn't see Barnes miss a single shot including 8 or 9 lay ups. Didn't see him miss an open 3 pointer. We had our chances and we played tight on offense and Ky. played much better on defense than they usually do.

Reactions: TC 83
The SEC is a meat grinder and these losses will happen on occasion...................i.e. Nobody thought South Carolina would beat Kentucky in Rupp Arena.

This loss is a teachable moment for Rick Barnes and his staff in that you have to compete hard for 40 minutes every night.

I expect Tennessee to come out with a very intense mindset against Mississippi State on Tuesday night in Starkville.

Absolutley, unequivocally not true. Mark Richt was given default 10 win teams simply from having an SEC team in the country's top recruiting state.

Richt never took below average teams and made them good. He took great players and made good teams.

Barnes has shown he can win with whatever talent he is given. He has done it everywhere. He has a system that teaches discipline and defense regardless of recruiting stars. With that said, his teams do tend to peak and fall victim to hot shooting teams.

VN Store

Back