Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I’ve said it time and time again. I like Barnes. He was brought in to stabilize the program. He’s accomplished that goal and for that I’m grateful. But it seems people are expecting and demanding him to all of a sudden do something that doesn’t match his 35 years of head coaching history. He’s shown that he will consistently get you into the dance. He will run the program the right way. He will bring in great talent. He will have highly touted players and exciting regular seasons. He just probably won’t get past the sweet 16. And will hardly make that. But Barnes is close to retiring. Given where our program could have been had he not decided to come to Tennessee, maybe we should stick by him until he does retire. At that time get someone who can take Tennessee further.

Exactly. CRB is a good man, solid coach, and has Tennessee being nationally relevant. He just isn’t a coach who will win a NC. I would be in favor of playing out his contract, remembering him fondly, and hopefully in a few years when he retires brining in a “next level” coach.

He brought us our first SECC since 1979. That’s something. And that has earned him being well remembered and deserving of a graceful retirement.

He just isn’t a NCAA Tourney coach. Damnedest thing I’ve seen.

What's getting old is the NCAA hating on UT. Michigan hacked at us all night and were rarely called for it. Michigan did not deserve to be in the tournament....Any alarms going off there??? Then they of course make it so we end up playing them. The NCAA hates us. Always have...Always will..

I’ve said it time and time again. I like Barnes. He was brought in to stabilize the program. He’s accomplished that goal and for that I’m grateful. But it seems people are expecting and demanding him to all of a sudden do something that doesn’t match his 35 years of head coaching history. He’s shown that he will consistently get you into the dance. He will run the program the right way. He will bring in great talent. He will have highly touted players and exciting regular seasons. He just probably won’t get past the sweet 16. And will hardly make that. But Barnes is close to retiring. Given where our program could have been had he not decided to come to Tennessee, maybe we should stick by him until he does retire. At that time get someone who can take Tennessee further.
If I was much better with words like you, I wouldve said the same in my initial post that got me into so much trouble 😂. This is a great post. I want him to stay here for as long as he wants because he's a good coach and Tenn isn't exactly a school that's going to have their pick of better coaches. I'm just glad they got the SEC tourney win. He was due, UT was due and these SRs deserved it.

Last edited:
Did Barnes miss one of those 13’s that we missed? Maybe I missed him shooting. Now I will fault him for not sending a double team at Dickinson earlier I’m the game. That was a mistake. We had nobody inside that could handle him. And after he hit the first couple of 3’s, I was wondering why his defender kept leaving him. Uros and Fulky left him several times wide open. Oh well, didn’t play our best or shoot well and just got beat. Nothing else to say.
It's tough to pick your poison trying to guard a guy who can get any shot he wants within 5 feet, and despite being a 31% 3-pt shooter, nails 3 of them in the game.

The trolls are out in force after hiding in their Mommies’ basements for a few weeks. The giddiness is strong.

Honest question: is any criticism or observation of CRB’s Tourney stumbles trolling?? There are some in here piling on, but most of the posts are from people like me who REALLY wanted his drought to end and for his team to make a deep run. I’m just accepting that it likely isn’t going to happen for him and it’s a damned shame because he is a good guy and a solid coach.

Lol again he can coach for another 20 years and I'll be happy but I keep thinking "maybe this is the year they make that deep run" only to be disappointed. Why can't he get any consistent offensive play?

I have noticed on many occassions, he wants to do a certain thing in his offensive scheme and players pass up on taking a wide open shot to do what he wants them to do, and many times wind up having to force a shot as the shot clock is running down. I say if you are a shooter and you have an open shot they should be albe to take that shot.

&

like I have been saying……if someone has been silent for the last month when things were going great, why on earth come now to post?

I suggest that’s truly a pretend fan. Most take the good and the bad. Most fans acknowledge accomplishments……not just run off at the mouth when the supposed team gets beat.
It’s casual basketball fans…they don’t understand how hard tournaments are especially single elimination. We won the SEC for the 1st time since the 70’s and then they come on to talk trash about their own program. It’s a bizarre fetish of these idiots.

I have noticed on many occassions, he wants to do a certain thing in his offensive scheme and players pass up on taking a wide open shot to do what he wants them to do, and many times wind up having to force a shot as the shot clock is running down. I say if you are a shooter and you have an open shot they should be albe to take that shot.
I didn't understand why Chandler touched the ball the final 3 possessions and never took the shot (IIRC). The one guy who on tonight didn't shoot it.

Honest question: is any criticism or observation of CRB’s Tourney stumbles trolling?? There are some in here piling on, but most of the posts are from people like me who REALLY wanted his drought to end and for his team to make a deep run. I’m just accepting that it likely isn’t going to happen for him and it’s a damned shame because he is a good guy and a solid coach.

I’m not going to pile on if it’s on Barnes or not; but it sucks thinking this team was different and wasn’t going to wilt in the NCAAT. And that talk was was happening plenty around here all week.

And then they pretty much wilt. The cold offense that has reared its head throughout the season sinks them. We all said the offense going cold was going to cost us in the NCAAT and it did.

Check their stats. Some posters love the failures and follow them with bumps in their post counts. They aren’t fans. They are, by definition, trolls.

Reactions: cbcollins
OK? You're going to be upset at the HOF coach whose schemes have proven to work instead of at the players who failed to execute the scheme, even though they've proven they can do it?

VN Store

Back