Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I love Barnes but this is a reoccurring theme with his teams, the offense being horrendous. Seems like if he doesn’t have a elite post player he’s clueless.

It's early December morans -

relax
What are Morans?

Between the ages of about 14 and 30, young men are traditionally known as morans. During this life stage they live in isolation in the bush, learning tribal customs and developing strength, courage, and endurance—traits for which Maasai warriors are noted throughout the world.
Really think they're watching in Africa?

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Wake up people, this is a reoccurring theme. Same thing happened in March against Oregon State and has been happening under Barnes. He is not a good coach, the game has passed him by. WAKE THE **** UP

I wish there was a dislike 👎. He can only coach so much regarding shooting. If we can’t hit the broad side of a barn you’re saying that’s his fault? He sets up the open looks. It’s up to them to knock them down. He even tried to go inside some and nothing worked. 26% from the field with many of them good looks is not his fault.

Reactions: cardvolfan
No appreciation for the defensive performance last night? This may have been one of their best D games they have played. Without that it was a huge blowout. This was a positive, its just lost in all the nega posts.

I made an obvious poor choice of wording but glad you got your zinger in.

Good thing I don't feel like having Barnes as out coach for a long time is settling.

Some of us simply have decided to acknowledge what was in the back of our minds from the get go - 2018 Vols is Barnes ceiling. This isn't about him not being a good coach or that this university "deserves more", hence my opening comment. I used to think Barnes could get to, even win a final 4 at UT but that was on me for being a homer. He is what he is and I still enjoy following them and hope he sticks around for awhile longer.
Just glad you are not the Athletic Director. I would love to know what coach is out there that we could fire Barnes for and be better off. The answer is none.

Reactions: jmcarr33
So many Legions of the Miserables have crawled out from under their rocks with the hot takes.

I might be concerned about the offense if the rotation wasn’t loaded with first year players and it was late February. The defense managed to keep TN in the game despite the worst conceivable shooting results possible.

last night was a bad matchup for us. Experiences long teams will give us a hard time every time. Add to that we could not hit the broad side of a barn shooting last night. The coaches do not take the shots!!!! If we shoot 33 to 38% from 3 which is less than average for this team, we win by 10 points.

He’s not a bad coach. However, he’s an average coach at best.
You have to be joking. Not sure how you’d post this with a straight face.

Every team is going to have off nights, and it’s the FIRST WEEK of December. Let’s hold off on crucifying the guy. Personally, I think we are lucky to have him as a coach. So just chill man.

Reactions: cardvolfan
No TO, tied, with 12 seconds and not only giving VB minutes but starting him is insane. All on Barnes. Should have called a TO and got Chandler the ball on a drive with Fulky and James cleaning up. Instead we settled again for a low % 3 . I would be using these games to develop BHH, cause we're gonna need him. Pick apart if you want, but SV isn't my pick for the last shot.

Big difference between football and basketball due to number of games and nature of the conference tournament is That losses early in the season are not as much of a liability. As Long as Barnes gets the Team clicking in mid to late January, everything is still golden. Heup doesn’t get that luxury

No TO, tied, with 12 seconds and not only giving VB minutes but starting him is insane. All on Barnes. Should have called a TO and got Chandler the ball on a drive with Fulky and James cleaning up. Instead we settled again for a low % 3 . I would be using these games to develop BHH, cause we're gonna need him. Pick apart if you want, but SV isn't my pick for the last shot.
Disagree. Against a team as good as TTU is on defense it’s almost always better to try to score in transition as opposed to giving them a chance to set their half court defense by calling a timeout.

Disagree. Against a team as good as TTU is on defense it’s almost always better to try to score in transition as opposed to giving them a chance to set their half court defense by calling a timeout.
Yes, basketball 101.

With all due respect, not all situations are the same, and I think time outs in that situation usually benefit the defense.

Had Barnes taken a TO and had the subsequent play been unsuccessful, critics of our coach (not saying you) would have pounced on him for giving the defense a breather instead of letting our five star guard take control of the chaos to win the game. There is no win for Barnes, assuming a loss. Hindsight, as practiced by the numerous drive-by bball coaches on this board, is always going to be 20/20. A loss almost always means Barnes personally screwed it up, not that any number of other causes were in play--like dead legs and incredibly bad shooting. If only he made less money, he would be smarter and more experienced! :rolleyes:

Being the highest rated team in the country for a month isn’t an accomplishment? Just stop posting already. Your hot takes are garbage. And your obsession with making posts trashing Barnes is psychotic.

The funny part about this is one of the things that was a constant praise for Pearl was getting ranked #1….which lasted all of a week and we actually lost the next game to Vandy. Yet Barnes has us ranked #1 almost a month and suddenly it’s not a big deal.

Love coach Barnes and he can coach as long as he wants here, but he's a sweet 16 coach. Looking pretty good and giving us hope only to look like crap on offense and underachieve when it matters. New team, same old song.
Tennessee is in no way a traditional powerhouse basketball program. We should be more than happy with Barnes and what he has done for this program. However, with our facilities and how much is spent on basketball I do expect Tennessee to at least make the NCAA Tournament most years.

Barnes is not the only great coach searching for his first national championship. Mark Few still has not won one at Gonzaga. John Chaney and Norm Stewart were great coaches for years and never took their teams to the Final Four. After going through the Wade Houston era, Kevin O Neil era, and Buzz Ball, I am more than happy to have Barnes as coach.

Reactions: Lurker
The funny part about this is one of the things that was a constant praise for Pearl was getting ranked #1….which lasted all of a week and we actually lost the next game to Vandy. Yet Barnes has us ranked #1 almost a month and suddenly it’s not a big deal.
5 weeks, or 4? Regardless, the Barnes haters are going to hate.

Tennessee “should” be 8-2 after the next two games………this would be like the 3rd best start since the 07-08 season………..but the sky is falling?

Tennessee has been knocked out of the tournament early twice in the last 3………and their big was out both times………..both times Tennessee “probably” wins otherwise………I doubt that will become a normality.

Tennessee has never been a dominant program……..we’ve never seen them in a final 4. I’m certainly hopeful for more success; however I’m certainly not tired of winning, making the tournament, beating good teams, seeing Tennessee land top recruits and having Tennessee in the spotlight.

Tennessee “should” be 8-2 after the next two games………this would be like the 3rd best start since the 07-08 season………..but the sky is falling?

Tennessee has been knocked out of the tournament early twice in the last 3………and their big was out both times………..both times Tennessee “probably” wins otherwise………I doubt that will become a normality.

Tennessee has never been a dominant program……..we’ve never seen them in a final 4. I’m certainly hopeful for more success; however I’m certainly not tired of winning, making the tournament, beating good teams, seeing Tennessee land top recruits and having Tennessee in the spotlight.

Best post I’ve seen on here

Was definitely a bizarre effort by him. It was almost as if he developed the lay-up yips. Fully expected that he had twisted an ankle or tweaked a knee, causing him to react as he did. Obviously, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Slipped on the ice. Were you watching?

If he did slip, I didn't catch it live or on the replays. I honestly, couldn't explain how he rotated/fell so awkwardly--the way he fell made it look like he had twisted his ankle when he planted to jump, but that clearly wasn't the case. Crazy.

Love coach Barnes and he can coach as long as he wants here, but he's a sweet 16 coach. Looking pretty good and giving us hope only to look like crap on offense and underachieve when it matters. New team, same old song.
Barnes can't mold a team.

VN Store

Back