Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I don't think we could have hit water if we were standing on the beach last night. It was surreal

Love coach Barnes and he can coach as long as he wants here, but he's a sweet 16 coach. Looking pretty good and giving us hope only to look like crap on offense and underachieve when it matters. New team, same old song.
Admittedly, I've only had a chance to really sit there and watch two whole games. My early eye test says these things...

Kennedy Chandler - The most legit 5* we've had in a few years. Kid can play and he competes hard.
Vescovi - Solid season and much better off the ball with somebody that can get in the lane as expected. He's a talented kid but just limited athletically at times.
Fulkerson - Expected a lot more from him so far. He's had a long history of coming and going at this point though.
Olivier - Same story different season. Great preseason and disappears in the game.
Powell - Needs more run. I'd much rather him be out there than Bailey.
Zeigler - Love the kid. Competes hard but his size will be hunted against teams like TX Tech.
BHH - I puckered up when I heard the reports from camp. It's early but looks like another post bust for Barnes as of now. Hopefully that changes. If he transfers out after this year, we have to look internally as to why we can't keep or improve a post player.
Uros - Seems like a good kid but he shouldn't be playing more than 3 minutes a game.
JJJ - I'd love for him to be a 12 PPG player, but that's just not him. Great mix of skills though. He fit in against Tech when most of the team didn't.
Bailey - Small and takes questionable shots. I'd rather see what Powell and Mashack can do at this point.

Just based on last night's game. Here is what I see. A guard led team with more minus athletes than plus athletes. Two teams have given us fits this year. Tech and Nova. What can they do? Switch everything with long athletes. If our best group has 3-4 guards out there, that's fine, but we have to be an above average 3pt team if that's the case. We need something, anything, from Fulkerson and BHH to take a step forward. I'm not a basketball expert. I follow the game and played the game, but the one thing that continually drives me nuts on the sets for Barnes is the C getting camped out at the top of the key often. What purpose does that serve? If you're playing a non-shooting big, he needs to be picking for Chandler to get in the lane and then rumbling in behind for the lob or dunker spot. Surround that with Vescovi, Powell, Bailey, Zeigler, etc. and you shouldn't be able to keep Chandler out of the lane.

Granted, last night we shot awful.

Reactions: Lurker
What are the odds that all the guys would have such an atrocious shooting night at the same time? They had a bad game. Some key players are in their first few college games. One should be in high-school right now. We'll be fine.

Barnes has about the same number of wins per season as Jim Boeheim, who is already in the HOF. And Barnes hasn’t had the benefit of coaching at a school that wins nearly 70% of its games historically like Syracuse.
Lol, you’re hilarious. You can’t even mention Barnes and Boeheim in the same sentence. Boeheim has 5 Final Fours and a National Championship. Barnes has 1 Final Four, there is no comparison

Reactions: volpass
Barnes has about the same number of wins per season as Jim Boeheim, who is already in the HOF. And Barnes hasn’t had the benefit of coaching at a school that wins nearly 70% of its games historically like Syracuse.

I'm sorry, but comparing Boeheim to Barnes is apples to oranges. No pun intended. Boeheim has multiple final fours (5), multiple conference championships (10), 3 NC appearances and a NC in 03. Barnes has no where near those accomplishments.

Reactions: volpass
Wake up people, this is a reoccurring theme. Same thing happened in March against Oregon State and has been happening under Barnes. He is not a good coach, the game has passed him by. WAKE THE **** UP
Just out of curiosity, and I'm no Barnes Homer, if we could throw 10 mil at some one who might take the job who would it be?

It was a frustrating game to watch as a fan. But it's obvious some people have never played sports. Games like this happen. Big arena, depth perception, travel miles, lots of reason to shoot the ball badly. We still had a chance to win playing the ugliest game of the season. Very rarely does someone go undefeated in basketball.

As my high school coach used to say, we couldn't throw a ping-pong ball in the Gulf of Mexico last night, and yet still went to OT with an NCAA Tournament team. Defense travels, even when shooting doesn't. It happens. We'll be fine.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Josiah Jordan James's inexplicable missed lay-up/dunk last night was crazy. It's almost like JJJ was on the take and needed Tech to win to make sure he got paid by his bookies. Absolutely killed our chance of taking back the lead and dictating the pace/play at the end of the game. Can't imagine a more blatantly bad play in my life watching Tennessee basketball or football. That was worse than Milton running out of bounds in the Ole Miss game.

How's that Barnes's fault again?

Josiah Jordan James's inexplicable missed lay-up/dunk last night was crazy. It's almost like JJJ was on the take and needed Tech to win to make sure he got paid by his bookies. Absolutely killed our chance of taking back the lead and dictating the pace/play at the end of the game. Can't imagine a more blatantly bad play in my life watching Tennessee basketball or football. That was worse than Milton running out of bounds in the Ole Miss game.

Was definitely a bizarre effort by him. It was almost as if he developed the lay-up yips. Fully expected that he had twisted an ankle or tweaked a knee, causing him to react as he did. Obviously, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Slipped on the ice. Were you watching?

It's almost as if Fulky has gotten worse. He is non existent on the offensive side of the ball.
Fulkerson had a double double. Sadly he's about all we have in the front court if we're going to play Plav in front of HH and not allow him to develop.

Wow the Nega's are out in force. You play a bad game and the coach is the worst ever, gloom an doom all over, BB program will never win anything. Amazing. Are you all going to show up here when they look good next game and you can't criticize everything about the team.

VN Store

Back