Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Well thought out response? So you agree with those who say we shouldn't expect Barnes to get past week one in the tournament because it was rarely accomplished in our basketball history.
I say anyone who thinks like that is the worst of this teams' TROLLS.

And before the ijuts respond I'm not for replacing Barnes, I'm for him to get back to what he was doing 1998 to 2008.
I didn't quote you. Didn't say who was giving the responses I like. Didn't say which side I did or don't agree with.

I was specifically referencing one poster and the tone of his responses while throwing out random reasons for his thought process. He appeared to be struggling with why people disagreed with him so strongly. I was just proposing it had nothing to do with his actual opinions and experiences and everything to do with how he's representing them and responding to the discussion.

I'm all for a difference of opinions, it's how you learn and grow. In sports fandom, where emotions and experiences vary greatly from fan to fan, there is rarely a truly right or wrong. Everyone values different things. I have my own opinion of our program and the job Barnes has done here. I think I've laid it out in other threads and it's completely irrelevant to what your opinion of him is because we have different points of view. Just because I lay mine out differently from yours doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong. Now, if we fight and argue about it and resort to name calling or insulting their thought process of some kind, then that is where the right or wrong comes into play. And that seems to be where this board goes wrong more often than not.

Hope that clarifies my earlier post. Feel free to let me know if that doesn't make sense.

p.s. - I have high expectations for this program too; and despite his post-season struggles, I'm still a firm believer of Barnes getting us there because I agree with his prioritizing culture and integrity above all else. I'm not willing to sacrifice those concepts for the program I love simply to lay claim to a few more wins. It's simply what I value the most. [Edit to add: I am willing to risk not achieving those few extra wins with Barnes to maintain a program I feel very proud to follow.]

[2nd Edit: really did not mean to come across as a condescending a-hole haha.]

Last edited:
Reactions: spyfish007
You don’t expect a HoF coach to make it past first weekend even after 8 yrs at one school.....TN did it few times before Barnes.
I do expect S16 now.......and guess what......that’s ok

I don’t EXPECT it. TN isn’t solidly a top 15 program, but they are there occasionally. NCAAT wins will come once the program is firmly established. The long term trend has certainly been very good.

You don’t expect a HoF coach to make it past first weekend even after 8 yrs at one school.....TN did it few times before Barnes.

I expect him to put together teams capable of going deep. He has and did. He did not coach them down from the first game to the second game at the same arena. That is on the players AS A GROUP. It is a team game.

April 15th and next season's roster is still under construction.

I trust Barnes and his staff to get the best fits for the roster next season and we still have a decent nucleus with James and Vescovi and Nkamhoua and Plavsic and eigler returning
along with Mashack and Powell and Aidoo.

Well if we only talk about this year, the Vols 3 point shooting was something they needed to win. We won many games shooting decent 3 point %. Against MI we shot 2/18 from 3 point land and unless you have a heckuva inside game which this year's team did not have you are going to get beat. I believe Rick Barnes is here until he decides to retire. Looking at 3 to 5 more years unless AD White has other ideas.

Well if we only talk about this year, the Vols 3 point shooting was something they needed to win. We won many games shooting decent 3 point %. Against MI we shot 2/18 from 3 point land and unless you have a heckuva inside game which this year's team did not have you are going to get beat. I believe Rick Barnes is here until he decides to retire. Looking at 3 to 5 more years unless AD White has other ideas.

I could see Barnes hanging it up once ZZ and them graduate, but I could also see him pulling another 5+ years.

I love Barnes and what he has done for this program. Not going to lie, I cried a little when they showed our SEC championship win, and all the players giving Barnes love. I hope he stays another 5+ years personally

Reactions: TexasVFL

What am I missing? Barnes has made a SS at UT.

Reactions: jp1
What goes into firmly established program by your view?

Rarely missing NCAATs. Being able to beat ANY team. TN beat the national champion runner up this year. Pearl took 3 of 4 from Florida’s back-to-back NCAAT champions. I would bet that TN has beaten some of KY’s national championship teams. Continuing to compete for SEC championships. Believe it or not, there are dozens of teams sparing no expense and fighting all out for Sweet 16s. Expecting them is naive.

It isn’t easy to crack the top 25. It’s being taken for granted. Staying there and consistently trending higher are great measures of being established.

It isn’t a straight line to the top. TN has never been hitting this well on so many measures. Advancing slightly further in the NCAAT isn’t the end all.

Last edited:
I don’t have your mentality. So now what?

Enjoy your place in the Legions of the Miserable. I’ll remain thankful for the championships, the high level of play, and the high character young men and coaches that pass through this program. The program is on the highest level that I remember and there is room for even higher achievements.

If TN has a drop like they did after Grant and Admiral left after yr 4 it would be very disappointing imo. I would like to see Barnes land ready made ballers to fill these remaining spots. Winners hate losing and expect better with a HoF coach.......imo.

If TN has a drop like they did after Grant and Admiral left after yr 4 it would be very disappointing imo. I would like to see Barnes land ready made ballers to fill these remaining spots. Winners hate losing and expect better with a HoF coach.......imo.

Who said they enjoy losing?

The reality is that every team not Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky will sometimes regress quite a bit. Michigan State, Villanova, and Gonzaga are right there. Teams like Louisville, Georgetown, DePaul, St John’s, and Indiana have fallen way off and are struggling to get back to where they once lived. UConn is another program usually hovering around the top. Hopefully Syracuse loses a lot once their cheating coach retires. Those are 11 programs that have been excellent. Arizona. UCLA. Ohio State. Purdue. UNLV. Florida. FSU. LSU. Alabama. Auburn. Notre Dame. Michigan. Arkansas. Houston. Virginia. Baylor. It gets very crowded competing for those Sweet 16 spots - especially when you throw in the frequent out of nowhere teams on their runs - Loyola, USCe, Butler, Oregon State, VCU, UMass, George Mason, etc. it is very naive to expect Sweet 16s to be easy while competing with those programs and others.

Rarely missing NCAATs. Being able to beat ANY team. TN beat the national champion this year. Pearl took 3 of 4 from Florida’s back-to-back NCAAT champions. I would bet that TN has beaten some of KY’s national championship teams. Continuing to compete for SEC championships. Believe it or not, there are dozens of teams sparing no expense and fighting all out for Sweet 16s. Expecting them is naive.

It isn’t easy to crack the top 25. It’s being taken for granted. Staying there and consistently trending higher are great measures of being established.

It isn’t a straight line to the top. TN has never been hitting this well on so many measures. Advancing slightly further in the NCAAT isn’t the end all.
Musta missed that game. When did we play Kansas?

Musta missed that game. When did we play Kansas?

Derp. Runner up. But that’s how much these blue blood final fours mean to me. Kind of boring when the same teams are always the last ones left standing. Much like Bama, Clempson, tOSU, and OK in football.

Rarely missing NCAATs. Being able to beat ANY team. TN beat the national champion this year. Pearl took 3 of 4 from Florida’s back-to-back NCAAT champions. I would bet that TN has beaten some of KY’s national championship teams. Continuing to compete for SEC championships. Believe it or not, there are dozens of teams sparing no expense and fighting all out for Sweet 16s. Expecting them is naive.

We did not beat Kansas. I am confused.

TGO is 100% correct. “Ring culture”/saban mentality, especially in college sports, has totally ruined the game. You can have a great program without stringing together multiple championships/playoffs/final four appearances. Becoming a great program and always being in the mix is how you reach those goals over the long term. Having a stable program that always has a chance at making a run, even if those runs are few and far between, is something that many take for granted. The NCAAT, moreso than any other sport’s tourney, is an absolute sh*t shoot. I would wager Pearl’s least talented team (that had its most talented player booted mid-season) made the deepest run in school history. You gotta get there year after year if you want to make runs, so appreciate that we are doing that now and laying the groundwork for long term basketball success.

Enjoy your place in the Legions of the Miserable. I’ll remain thankful for the championships, the high level of play, and the high character young men and coaches that pass through this program. The program is on the highest level that I remember and there is room for even higher achievements.
Expecting more than you isn’t miserable. I know that’s the go to from pumpers. Noone has a problem with those successes. Coaches? Kept Cuonzo?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back