Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

What about him makes you think he might have a health issue? What signs have you observed? He looks damn healthy to me for a guy 10 years younger than him
Nothing. I just was commenting on a previous post. I wanted to make sure everyone knows I am pro Barnes, but also feel that no job is worth sacrificing your health.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
We’ve never done that, so you are suggesting something that hasn’t been done.

You responded to someone saying UT has never paid a big salary upfront, and that is correct. Barnes was hired at roughly 2.5 million per year until he flirted with UCLA after year 4.

Danny White just hired a LV coach cheaper than the one he fired. He may or not with a new men’s basketball hire, but that it’s the pattern at UT.

Because Barnes got 1.75 million in his Texas buyout......

Math is hard for some here. And please quit using the Lady Vols hire as some bell weather.

We fired Harper and that resulted in needing to do a new hire..... the men's opening will be because Barnes chooses when he wants to leave/retire... Two very different scenarios.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Because Barnes got 1.75 million in his Texas buyout......

Math is hard for some here. And please quit using the Lady Vols hire as some bell weather.

We fired Harper and that resulted in needing to do a new hire..... the men's opening will be because Barnes chooses when he wants to leave/retire... Two very different scenarios.
I mean, I don’t care if you want to insult me. But a 1.75 million dollar buyout is peanuts and has no bearing on a new contract at a different school, especially for a coach that had made a FF and gone to the NCAAT 16 of 17 years. Your argument has no factual basis to it. UT has never done what you are suggesting.

For some reason, people still have this same mindset after years and years. We hired Buzz Peterson, Bruce Pearl, Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall, and a fired Rick Barnes that needed to rebound on a great deal. It’s been mid major or a recipient of circumstances. Just like Florida, LSU, Louisville, Alabama, Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, and even Hurley at UConn. All midmajor coaches or assistants being promoted.

Quit using the LV? Other the football, it is the biggest brand on campus. It’s the program that put WBB on the map. Yet, we hired an up and comer for $750k while a couple of schools are paying their coaches over $3 million.

Facts are the facts.

Let’s be honest, no established football coach was coming here with the NCAA balls deep into an investigation. The other coaching hires don’t count. It’s FB here. It’s the monster that feeds everything else

I mean, I don’t care if you want to insult me. But a 1.75 million dollar buyout is peanuts and has no bearing on a new contract at a different school, especially for a coach that had made a FF and gone to the NCAAT 16 of 17 years. Your argument has no factual basis to it. UT has never done what you are suggesting.

For some reason, people still have this same mindset after years and years. We hired Buzz Peterson, Bruce Pearl, Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall, and a fired Rick Barnes that needed to rebound on a great deal. It’s been mid major or a recipient of circumstances. Just like Florida, LSU, Louisville, Alabama, Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, and even Hurley at UConn. All midmajor coaches or assistants being promoted.

Quit using the LV? Other the football, it is the biggest brand on campus. It’s the program that put WBB on the map. Yet, we hired an up and comer for $750k while a couple of schools are paying their coaches over $3 million.

Facts are the facts.

Women's hoops has mostly been irrelevant since Pat passed and Warlick flamed out..... All while Barnes and Men's Program took off and started a good ascent since 2018.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you can't comprehend that going cheap with an opening due to a firing is completely different than an opening due to a retirement.... But math is hard I guess.

Women's hoops has mostly been irrelevant since Pat passed and Warlick flamed out..... All while Barnes and Men's Program took off and started a good ascent since 2018.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you can't comprehend that going cheap with an opening due to a firing is completely different than an opening due to a retirement.... But math is hard I guess.
For the life of me, I have no idea how math has anything to do with it. Yet you are still suggesting something that UT has never done. Your opinion, nothing else. Not based in facts. Just keep insulting.

For the life of me, I have no idea how math has anything to do with it. Yet you are still suggesting something that UT has never done. Your opinion, nothing else. Not based in facts. Just keep insulting.

Tennessee paid Barnes Top 5 money to stay here when he had one foot out the door...... Literally the definition of doing something that has never been done.

Struggle on though!

I think Kentucky fans would love to have a coach to have made the sweet 16 and elite 8 last few years. Actually they would love to have made it to the 2nd round of the tourney. I'm happy with Coach Barnes and his style of play.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think Kentucky fans would love to have a coach to have made the sweet 16 and elite 8 last few years. Actually they would love to have made it to the 2nd round of the tourney. I'm happy with Coach Barnes and his style of play.
I'm more than happy with Barnes.

Maybe he will get us a true big for next year!

Cheap COULD be the best available option. Big risk paying big money and getting a past their prime NAME $ Coach.

The committee went this direction and SPECULATION of short and long term has zero value add, so please quit repackaging your thoughts on the subject.

Get back to us after roster is set and we play a few games. Would expect a transitional year due to roster absorption. DW bought in and his record with up and comers is what it is TOO.

Tennessee paid Barnes Top 5 money to stay here when he had one foot out the door...... Literally the definition of doing something that has never been done.

Struggle on though!
lol…because that doesn’t prove your point. Talk about struggling with an argument.

lol…because that doesn’t prove your point. Talk about struggling with an argument.
There is some merit to that specific point that he made. You are correct that they have never spent big money to go out and hire a big name, established coach. But if the current administration is willing to go all-in and pay big money to keep a coach that they feel is a good fit and is being successful then I don't think it is a stretch to think they are willing to do that to hire a big name, established coach IF they think it is the right fit. They won't do it just to get a "name" or to win the press conference though. At the same time, I think this administration is also very confident in their ability to find value by hiring a coach that is on the ascent and can provide more wins per dollar on the contract.

Cheap COULD be the best available option. Big risk paying big money and getting a past their prime NAME $ Coach.

The committee went this direction and SPECULATION of short and long term has zero value add, so please quit repackaging your thoughts on the subject.

Get back to us after roster is set and we play a few games. Would expect a transitional year due to roster absorption. DW bought in and his record with up and comers is what it is TOO.

The committee went the cheap and up and comer route because they have to also pay a buyout to Harper in addition to major names that would cost significant money not being available.

To sit here and say we are going to go after the cheapest name after Barnes, who is making Top 5-7 money in the country, retires first and foremost is moronic..... Could we settle with cheap mid major coach? Sure. But are we going to target them first and foremost? Of course not.

It is a bit stupid to sit here and say that Tennessee is going to go the cheap route because of history when we broke the historical trend in terms of what we pay our men's hoops coach.

No reason to sit here and be a clown and compare the women's opening that was caused by a firing (and subsequently a buyout) to the eventual men's opening caused by a retirement by a coach we won't be paying to NOT coach here any longer.

I swear offseason makes some fans delusional and negaVols.

Good God people.

The committee went the cheap and up and comer route because they have to also pay a buyout to Harper in addition to major names that would cost significant money not being available.

To sit here and say we are going to go after the cheapest name after Barnes, who is making Top 5-7 money in the country, retires first and foremost is moronic..... Could we settle with cheap mid major coach? Sure. But are we going to target them first and foremost? Of course not.

It is a bit stupid to sit here and say that Tennessee is going to go the cheap route because of history when we broke the historical trend in terms of what we pay our men's hoops coach.

No reason to sit here and be a clown and compare the women's opening that was caused by a firing (and subsequently a buyout) to the eventual men's opening caused by a retirement by a coach we won't be paying to NOT coach here any longer.

Good God people.

I don’t think anyone is being delusional or a clown in this thread. No one is denying that Tennessee has the resources and funds to make a high dollar offer to an established coach. Maybe we can land an established coach. I think the point being made is that in 2024 in the era of college athletics where just about every program in a Power 5 conference is flushed with cash, it’s no longer as easy as waving your checkbook and throwing around Top 5 money to get a Top 5 coach.

There are many factors as to why a coach does or does not take a job. Money used to be the driving factor. Few schools could pay top dollar to get a good coach, so when a big boy came calling they would rarely say no.

Now, you have mid majors programs like Saint Louis paying $2 - $3 million for their coach. Hell, Ole Miss is not a historically strong basketball program, and they are set to pay Beard close to $4 million next year I think after the contracts extension.

Lots of great coaches are choosing to stay put where they are because they can make millions of dollars at a location they like and with the transfer portal basically any school can get players and win now.

It is true that Tennessee has the ability to court a strong coach with a big checkbook, but I think all people are saying is don’t be shocked if we have to go the mid major route and look for a rising star because our top targets say no because they like where they are at. Thats a very, very real possibility.

Good God people.
You love insults.

And…I never said the “cheap route.” I just said they most likely won’t pay Barnes money with a starting salary based on history. There is some in-between. What’s dumb is people not understanding the economic situation when Barnes got his raise. He was selling out the arena and had gone to the SS. There was no evidence that he was slowing down. When you pay him his raise, he pays for himself by continuing to sell tickets, sell apparel, bring awareness, and raise revenue for the program. It’s a lot different to pay that amount up front when you haven’t seen the new hire succeed at your school yet, even if you can persuade a sitting P5 coach. Life is about timing, and Barnes benefitted from it. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back