Something needs to be said about our QB situation

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person question JGs character. Kid truly has all of the tools to be anreally good WB, physically he’s there, mentally from a leadership standpoint, he’s there, he just doesn’t have it on the field on Saturdays from a make plays standpoint.

I’d love for him to stick around and help our young QBs next season, but I’d also like to see him transfer to FAU and see if Lane can have a Cromptonesque effect on his ability. He needs a QB savant in a bad way.

Last edited:
Yes, but if he could just not hold on to the ball...…….It would make me a happy man :) Agree with you observation of the team first attitude, Pruitt and Company are trying to change a culture and it might be starting to show up.

GBO!!!!

They're competitors but doing it the right way apparently. I don't think JG's motives or desire have ever been the problem. There's just something with his confidence or decision making that doesn't work. He "didn't lose" the game. Pruitt spoke to that during his post game. They didn't ask JG to do much but he performed what they asked. In the same context, he said that playing that conservative helped them to win this game but probably wouldn't work often.

It is disconcerting that Maurer has had two concussions in two weeks. I get that they're completely different causes and may just be anomalies... but I hope it isn't a continuing problem. They need to coach him to get down- live to fight another play.

They're competitors but doing it the right way apparently. I don't think JG's motives or desire have ever been the problem. There's just something with his confidence or decision making that doesn't work. He "didn't lose" the game. Pruitt spoke to that during his post game. They didn't ask JG to do much but he performed what they asked. In the same context, he said that playing that conservative helped them to win this game but probably wouldn't work often.

It is disconcerting that Maurer has had two concussions in two weeks. I get that they're completely different causes and may just be anomalies... but I hope it isn't a continuing problem. They need to coach him to get down- live to fight another play.

Agree on Maurer. You can tell the kid loves to compete but he’s got to be smarter

It's one thing they mentioned in the game that they'd talked to Trey Smith and brought up the fact that JG can't move on from the last play. Seems to be his big issue. He can't let go of that bad play and move on. Maybe this time on the bench has helped him. I still think he is our best chance for 6 wins.

He's just hesitant, and a step late. It cost us early this year. Watching from the sidelines may help him see things better. We're going to need him again this year.
I wish that weren't true but Maurer has to learn to protect himself and to check down. If we could somehow roll the two of them into one guy... he'd be the best QB in the SEC.

PS- JG really didn't do anything better or worse than he's done all year. They just had the advantage of a lead.... and a run game that showed up at the right time.

It's one thing they mentioned in the game that they'd talked to Trey Smith and brought up the fact that JG can't move on from the last play. Seems to be his big issue. He can't let go of that bad play and move on. Maybe this time on the bench has helped him. I still think he is our best chance for 6 wins.
If he's the best chance... there's no chance.

He overthinks and it appears to just be a part of who he is.

Another thing that stood out is that he delivers slower than Maurer. His throw to Keyton was a big play... but it was a tad late and short. RK had to slow down and wait for the ball. The DB had a play because the pass was short if he'd just gotten his head around.

I wish that weren't true but Maurer has to learn to protect himself and to check down. If we could somehow roll the two of them into one guy... he'd be the best QB in the SEC.

PS- JG really didn't do anything better or worse than he's done all year. They just had the advantage of a lead.... and a run game that showed up at the right time.
It was clear they weren't going to put that game on him to win. It could have went the other way. Glad it didn't. Defense was good enough to shut down a one demensional offense. They made the right choice for once..

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.
Both, seem to be quality young men.

I have noticed he does not "fall well" like landing on his head yesterday. I just wonder how many times he had to "fall" in high school. With the numbers he put up, my guess is "not many". Which brings me to another point I have been considering of late; these guys coming out of high school with these gaudy numbers must be playing on a team with great o-line play and good/great receivers. To me most of these guys not going to a well stocked o-line and great receivers have as much or more trouble preforming than the "good" guys coming in from the "school of hard knocks". Any thoughts along this line???

Reactions: kbear01

It disconcerting that Maurer has had two concussions in two weeks. I get that they're completely different causes and may just be anomalies... but I hope it isn't a continuing problem. They need to coach him to get down- live to fight another play.
Pretty sure he sustained a rib injury against Georgia, not a concussion.

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person question JGs character. Kid truly has all of the tools to be anreally good WB, physically he’s there, mentally from a leadership standpoint, he’s there, he just doesn’t have it on the field on Saturdays from a make plays standpoint.

I’d love for him to stick around and help our young QBs next season, but I’d also like to see him transfer to FAU and see if Lane can have a Comptonesque effect on his ability. He needs a QB savant in a bad way.
What if and big if here but what if he transferred to Oklahoma and did like all the others and win a Hiesman if I was a JG a Graduate with nothing to loose that's where I would transfer to. Hurts has a shot at winning the Hiesman and his Draft stock has went way up . Who knows but what JG has been threw a clean start may be good for him and the big 12 is great for making QB'S number look good. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries.

I’d love for him to stick around and help our young QBs next season, but I’d also like to see him transfer to FAU and see if Lane can have a Comptonesque effect on his ability. He needs a QB savant in a bad way.
then there's a lot of people on here you consider "unreasonable".....lol

I have noticed he does not "fall well" like landing on his head yesterday. I just wonder how many times he had to "fall" in high school. With the numbers he put up, my guess is "not many". Which brings me to another point I have been considering of late; these guys coming out of high school with these gaudy numbers must be playing on a team with great o-line play and good/great receivers. To me most of these guys not going to a well stocked o-line and great receivers have as much or more trouble preforming than the "good" guys coming in from the "school of hard knocks". Any thoughts along this line???
Fall well? About the only people that are trained to ‘fall well’ are stunt men. He does need to learn how to slide and I’m sure he will eventually.

Also, his high school team was awful.

I think UT's OL is an "average" OL right now and improving. UT's QB's aren't being exposed any more than anyone else's QB's and probably moved up a couple of places in sacks allowed after this week.

From what I understand, Maurer played on a pretty bad team and did a lot of his work while on the run in HS. @1vol8 is somehow related to Maurer so he could probably provide some insight. I think Shrout was similar. Either would have been a 4* on a better team. Particularly Maurer.

Pretty sure he sustained a rib injury against Georgia, not a concussion.
OK. Thanks. My mistake. That's a relief. I thought Pruitt mentioned the "protocol" after UGA. Maybe they have one for other injuries?

If he's the best chance... there's no chance.

He overthinks and it appears to just be a part of who he is.

Another thing that stood out is that he delivers slower than Maurer. His throw to Keyton was a big play... but it was a tad late and short. RK had to slow down and wait for the ball. The DB had a play because the pass was short if he'd just gotten his head around.
I thought Keyton did a good job adjusting to the ball and keeping the DB away from it

Reactions: sjt18 and hmhawk

VN Store

Back