Some Thoughts

The Dude

Abides.
1. The Dobyns-Bennett at William Blount game is the biggest game of the week. Its not like in the '90s, when the Indians and the Govs were in the same region, but there is the revenge factor; WB upset top seeded D-B in last year's playoffs. The Govs railed Sevier County in Week 0, while D-B dodged a bullet vs. Tennessee High. A William Blount win would propell them to uncharted waters for the Govs, to the 2nd best team in the area, behind county rival Maryville.

2. Who know's what to think of West. Farragut has had good teams, of late, and should have won even with Ryan playing the full game. It should be a good one at home vs. Bearden, who gave Carter a good smack down. Farragut welcomes Central, who lost to Cookeville.

3. Catholic is better than I thought after their big win over Morristown West.

4. What's surprising about CAK's win was their defense. They held Boyd-Buchanan, who have fielded some very good teams in 2A, to 132 yards.

5. It seems like Oak Ridge just doesn't have the playmakers like they used to, and Fulton just seem to be on a run of athletes going through that school. Can Terrence Cobb replace the ohh-so-valuable TD machine and UT freshman Dennis Rogan? Well, he's last name is Cobb, so I'm taking the Falcons in this one.

6. Congrats to Memphis Melrose, Goodpasture, and Pearl-Cohn, as they all got big victories over Christian Brothers, Ravenwood, and Memphis East, respectfully.

7. Hertiage is living up to its legacy as a total disaster, already, even after Week 0. Not only is losing to a 3A school bad, but allowing a school, Seymour, that is half the size of your's, to score 20 in the 4th quarter is awful. Bigger schools should overpower the smaller ones with their depth advantage as the game wears on, Mountaineers.

8. Maryville-Alcoa will be what is always is: a Rebel win and a giant, 10:30 Blount County traffic jam. Well, at least Alcoa gives Maryville some competition, unlike the teams in their region.

I wouldn't say DB dodged a bullet last week. They were up 13 in the fourth. Tennessee High couldn't move the ball, but managed to get a punt return TD to put them back in the game. DB then went ahead and pounded the ball down their throats to run the clock out. That said, I don't think this year's Indians team is as good as they usually are. They'll probably be in for a fight with William Blount.

VN Store

Back