Some Pundits Believe The Lady Vols Will Have A Difficult Time Getting Out Of Knoxville

Golfteacher

Some pundits believe that with Iowa State being in Knoxville, the Lady Vols just might not make it out of Knoxville. Iowa State have been ranked all year long and though they have not always lived up to expectations, they have always been considered a top 25 team. The same cannot be said about the Lady Vols. Many believe Iowa State will be motivated by a chip on their shoulders. Well ladies it is show time and we can either prove the pundits right are prove they are wrong. Yes Iowa State has the shooter and Ashley Joens and a host of other good ball players. Yes they shot the three at a high percentage but our ladies are not chopped liver. We have the potential to beat Iowa State on the boards and in the paint. We have a defense that can hold opponents under their scoring average. We have played some top ranked teams, who were better on paper than Iowa State, and we hung in with them. We know what is ahead of us, beat St.Louis, don’t take them for granted, and play Iowa State as if they are the tournament favorite. We have to guard the three, pound the boards, limit our turnovers, and play up to our capabilities and not give in and not give up.

Iowa State has to win their first round game.

I also like our chances against them. Joens is their engine but I think she will have a much harder time scoring on us.

Outside of her they have a couple good guards but nothing special.

Everyone who's been watching thinks the LVs might not make it out of Knoxville. Because of the overschedule, we're facing a way better 2nd round opponent than usual. It's exactly the kind of game we have failed to win all year, except that blessed time against LSU. Hopefully being at home and us having momentuem will help.

I'm excited for the Jackson/Joens matchup, they are two of the five finalists for the Cheryl Miller award

Everyone who's been watching thinks the LVs might not make it out of Knoxville. Because of the overschedule, we're facing a way better 2nd round opponent than usual. It's exactly the kind of game we have failed to win all year, except that blessed time against LSU. Hopefully being at home and us having momentuem will help.

I'm excited for the Jackson/Joens matchup, they are two of the five finalists for the Cheryl Miller award
On paper Tennessee should win. Much like Belmont game last year it’ll be a tougher round 2 game than it should be.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Some pundits believe that with Iowa State being in Knoxville, the Lady Vols just might not make it out of Knoxville. Iowa State have been ranked all year long and though they have not always lived up to expectations, they have always been considered a top 25 team. The same cannot be said about the Lady Vols. Many believe Iowa State will be motivated by a chip on their shoulders. Well ladies it is show time and we can either prove the pundits right are prove they are wrong. Yes Iowa State has the shooter and Ashley Joens and a host of other good ball players. Yes they shot the three at a high percentage but our ladies are not chopped liver. We have the potential to beat Iowa State on the boards and in the paint. We have a defense that can hold opponents under their scoring average. We have played some top ranked teams, who were better on paper than Iowa State, and we hung in with them. We know what is ahead of us, beat St.Louis, don’t take them for granted, and play Iowa State as if they are the tournament favorite. We have to guard the three, pound the boards, limit our turnovers, and play up to our capabilities and not give in and not give up.
"pundits"...hell i'm more worried about a Lady Vols team that hopefully is ready to AWAKEN with rest.....

We are much quicker and more athletic than them. They have faced nobody like Horston and Jackson. I’m not worried unless we just shoot horribly and make a lot of unforced turnovers.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The Iowa State offense is a lot of Ashley Joens just driving to her right into the lane "trying to get fouled"...The game I watched she went to the free throw line around 7 consecutive times...She barely shot a floor shot, mostly free throws...Very boring offense.
5fcf148276404.image.jpg

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

I also like our chances against them. Joens is their engine but I think she will have a much harder time scoring on us.

Well, I was feeling good about this one...

Analytically they might be onto something. HerHoops has loved the LVs all year long. LVs are currently #10 on HHS. This thread made me curious to compare ISU. Dang, if HHS doesn't have ISU ranked #8. This matchup if it occurs could be the best game of the first weekend. Check out the comparatives... (click on it to make it larger)

1679007054200.png

The Iowa State offense is a lot of Ashley Joens just driving to her right into the lane "trying to get fouled"...The game I watched she went to the free throw line around 7 consecutive times...She barely shot a floor shot, mostly free throws...Very boring offense.
5fcf148276404.image.jpg
You're selling Joens waaay short. Texas was fouling her repeatedly because they couldn't stop her from getting in position to score...not unlike what Jackson does. They'll probably be guarding each other too, so it will turn into who can do so more effectively without fouling.

Potentially, her and Jackson could end up cancelling each other out and leave it to the supporting casts to determine the outcome. If they use the same strategy that they did against Texas, then Darby or Puckett's ability to hit from deep might be the deciding factor in this game.

As I said earlier, Iowa State has to get through their first round game.

They have a matchup with Toledo who is no joke IMO they play in a quality conference and haven’t lost a game since mid-January. They are 28-4 and have a win over Michigan who was ranked #14 at the time.

Iowa State has losses to KState, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas and West Virginia all in February. They really struggled in the last third of conference play but came alive again in the Big 12 tourney. I really wasn’t impressed with the Big 12 tournament. There was a lot of “meh” sloppy play from teams and nobody looked very tough.

I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see Toledo beat Iowa State.

I don't see how that can even be disputed.

We will definitely have a difficult time getting out of the Knoxville regional.

I remain amazed at how many fans still think that if we show up, the other team will fold up. Those days are long gone.

From the group of sixteen teams hosting, we were the very last team to qualify.

Last edited:
I don't see how that can even be disputed.

We will definitely have a difficult time getting out of the Knoxville regional.

I remain amazed at how many fans still think that if we show up, the other team will fold up. Those days are long gone.

From the group of sixteen teas hosting, we were the very last team to qualify.

I have no doubt it will be a battle getting out of Knoxville. Just looking at the first round matchups I think Iowa State has a much more difficult game.

St. Louis can play but they aren’t all that. They are streaking at the right time but I do not think they can contend with us in the paint.

Not going to be easy Iowa State is a Quality team. I would be very surprised if we can't beat St Louis. The Iowa State game will come down to turnovers and rebounding either team could have a good day and that will be the team that wins.

Iowa State has several excellent three point shooters and we have a history of not guarding the three very well. We have the talent to beat most of the top 25 teams, so I do not doubt that they can beat the Cyclones, however, let’s take care of St. Louis first.

They will have trouble. Its 40/60 they make the Sweet 16

oops

VN Store

Back