Some Pundits Believe The Lady Vols Will Have A Difficult Time Getting Out Of Knoxville

No sane or reputable "pundit" looked at the TN draw and seriously thought...oh my, this may be a problem. Just no.
Iowa St had just won the B12 tourney and had one of the best players in the country. Toledo was on a 17 game win streak. So yes, reasonable to think it would not be a gimme. What wasn't predicted was how well the LVs played, especially the bench and secondary players.

Iowa St had just won the B12 tourney and had one of the best players in the country. Toledo was on a 17 game win streak. So yes, reasonable to think it would not be a gimme. What wasn't predicted was how well the LVs played, especially the bench and secondary players.
ok

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Exactly! And it's really unfair how some people aren't giving the Lady Vols any credit for rising to the occasion and playing their best basketball, and are instead are diminishing the accomplishment by saying it was just because the opponents were awful. Yeah, they looked awful against Tennessee, but they weren't awful on their way to facing us. I don't know how anyone could act like a team that just beat a good Iowa State team with all-American Ashley Joens was not any indication they might be pretty good, but, whatevs.

Exactly! And it's really unfair how some people aren't giving the Lady Vols any credit for rising to the occasion and playing their best basketball, and are instead are diminishing the accomplishment by saying it was just because the opponents were awful. Yeah, they looked awful against Tennessee, but they weren't awful on their way to facing us. I don't know how anyone could act like a team that just beat a good Iowa State team with all-American Ashley Joens was not any indication they might be pretty good, but, whatevs.

Exactly, not to mention that Iowa State team just won the Big 12 beating Texas. Big 12 was down this season, but it’s still a major accomplishment to win a P5 conference. Winning isn’t easy.

Toledo was a tough team, they just hit the wrong team at the wrong time. They had no answer for our size and then we were hot from 3. They had to pick a poison and both were deadly.

Have to hope some of that hot shooting holds over into the next round(s.) There are very few teams that can guard us when we share the basketball and hit open shots.

Last edited:
Exactly, not to mention that Iowa State team just won the Big 12 beating Texas. Big 12 was down this season, but it’s still a major accomplishment to win a P5 conference. Winning isn’t easy.

Toledo was a tough team, they just hit the wrong team at the wrong time. They had no answer for our size and then we were hot from 3. They had to pick a position and both were deadly.

Have to hope some of that hot shooting holds over into the next round(s.) There are very few teams that can guard us when we share the basketball and hit open shots.

Iowa State finished 3rd in the Big12 (none in the Sweet 16) despite winning the conference championship. It happens. KY beat SC for the SEC Championship. It didn't make them good. And then SC won the National Championship.

Joens is an AA, BUT that didn't help them beat Toledo who YES won 17 in a row and has 0 AAs. Sometimes really good players are on a subpar team. Toldeo wasn't a hot team that Iowa State just happened to get on a bad draw. Iowa State ran into many teams that they just weren't good enough to beat.

17 wins sounds fearful, UNTIL you look at the 17 teams. Upsets can happen, but the suggestion of TN losing, AT HOME to either would offend me. And then there's ST. Louis. 18 losses. You play who shows up, but if a poster started a thread called TN WILL NOT MAKE IT OUT OF KNOXVILLE...they would be summarily ridiculed, and no TN fan would give any of these opponents even the slimmest of chances. You beat them down because you should have.

!1679448718671.png

It is fascinating the lengths that some posters will go to argue that any LV win or accomplishment somehow does not "count." Beat LSU, well, they are not that good really, easy schedule blah; make it the Sweet 16, well they such ans easy path, any team could have made it.

I am sure if the LVs were to win the NC, these same posters will proclaim, well it was a down year in women's basketball and further insist that no sane or reasonable ever thought South Carolina (or whoever) would be a problem for Tennessee.

No sane or reputable "pundit" looked at the TN draw and seriously thought...oh my, this may be a problem. Just no.

I disagree. We can laugh at the Big 12 now, but the prospect of facing their conference champ wouldn't have been easy. The Lady Vols owe no apologies for the Cyclones crapping the bed against Toledo...

It is fascinating the lengths that some posters will go to argue that any LV win or accomplishment somehow does not "count."

It's probably less fascinating, and more indicative, of the fact that the majority of the posters who do this are not even fans of Tennessee in the first place, but posers who are actually fans of uconn or Vanderbilt or whatever who just come here to diminish the Lady Vols at every turn. It's tiresome, but folks like them have been doing it for decades.

Just a thought..
I know we have to get by Toledo first, however we were missing RJ, JillH, and JF against VT earlier this season. And only lost by 3 at home. From the looks of it, VT is going to move to the next round. If we win tomorrow we’ll face them in the S16. Advantage goes to who?
Rickea did not play against VT. The whole team is playing better as well. Might make a difference!

It will be great to have the players we were missing the first time we played VT.

We did have Tamari when we played VT, who held Kitley to 6 points. Kitley has scored in double digits in all but 3 games this year, so we’ll have to stop her again.

Elizabeth Kitley Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN

It must be the super length of Tamari that bothered Kitley because Key was well beneath her best when she held her to 6. That should give our defenders a boost: "Tamari, with blood clots in her lungs and struggling to breathe, held Kitley to 6 points. Surely all of US can get it done healthy!"

As Only1COJ said, against VT the first time we didn't have Jackson, Franklin OR Hollingshead. Think how big that was for VT. Think how big that we WILL have all three on Saturday.
I didn’t remember Hollingshead or Franklin didn’t play. They will make a difference, along with Jackson. The bench came through big time in the two tournament games.

VN Store

Back