Some interesting current stat rankings of your top 4 teams

Just a little media bias for Duke's ranking. But Michigan?
I agree, they do seem to be the outlier.

It’s interesting because these stats are obviously not adjusted for pace, but you have two teams that like to slow it down (UVA and Michigan), a team that like to get up and down the court a bit (Duke), and then Tennessee, who is a mixture of both.

Tennessee and Duke do seem to dominate the other two statistically, pace adjusted or not.

We may not steal the ball a lot (we just aren't a pressing team) but that was a bid steal Jordan Bowden had the other night against the armpits.

Yeah here's been a bunch of pro Michigan talk on this board but they really haven't played anyone and the big 10 is way down this year
Nova and the Tarheels wouldn't really be considered nobody. But I haint no Michigan fan. They over rated.

way to cherry pick stats.. if you look at the stats u pick we are fairly low in some of the categories i would think really matter come playoff time.

3pt fg%, steals, rebmargin and per game, scoring defense.

any person could cherry pick the stats and make a case for either of the teams.

Reactions: livefaith
SoS of course makes a difference on these.

Per RPI:
Duke - 6
Tenn - 23
Mich - 75
UVA - 77

College Basketball Strength of Schedule - 2018-19
SOS further drives the gap between the teams statistically. Duke and Tennessee have seemingly performed better against better competition. However, I wonder how much pace affects some of these statistics, too. Duke and Virginia, for example, are polar opposite teams in terms of pace and philosophy.

I agree, they do seem to be the outlier.

It’s interesting because these stats are obviously not adjusted for pace, but you have two teams that like to slow it down (UVA and Michigan), a team that like to get up and down the court a bit (Duke), and then Tennessee, who is a mixture of both.

Tennessee and Duke do seem to dominate the other two statistically, pace adjusted or not.
Good stuff there, for sure. I do believe the writers have a love fest regarding Michigan, but they are pretty tough. If I'm a recruit and want to play more uptempo, Michigan or Virginia would not be the place for me.

way to cherry pick stats.. if you look at the stats u pick we are fairly low in some of the categories i would think really matter come playoff time.

Make one for Michigan where they come out on top. Not being argumentative but would be interesting..

253rd in steals...hmmm.

Apparently we want to let them in so we can boost our rebounding and blocked shot stats.
Barnes teaches a more linear defensive approach which seems to make them good from a defensive field goal percentage, but not as likely to garner a bunch of steals.

Cherry picking? Really? I listed all the information. It isn’t like I highlighted only areas that put us in a positive light. We just happen to be pretty good across the board.

37th nationally in scoring defense is pretty darn good, as is 26th in rebounding and rebounding margin. That is out of 360 some odd D1 schools, so top 10%. And steals is an overrated stat IMO. We don’t play the kind of defense that generates a lot of steals, but we still create TOs in other ways. We are 38th nationally in TO/gm committed, so by taking care of the ball, we mitigate the idea of creating fewer TOs ourselves.

We also get a lot of our points in the paint, so we don’t greatly rely on the 3. If we were a team that shot 30 3s a game, I’d be more concerned about that stat. But still, top third in the country in 3-pt FG% is plenty acceptable for a team that butters their bread in the paint.

I am not sure what he cherry-picked. There are 12 categories.

The two teams could be very close. Michigan is ahead on NET, we're ahead on Kenpom. Or maybe that shows the early flaws in the NET system. But I'd be biased I'm sure.

Cherry picking? Really? I listed all the information. It isn’t like I highlighted only areas that put us in a positive light. We just happen to be pretty good across the board.

37th nationally in scoring defense is pretty darn good, as is 26th in rebounding and rebounding margin. That is out of 360 some odd D1 schools, so top 10%. And steals is an overrated stat IMO. We don’t play the kind of defense that generates a lot of steals, but we still create TOs in other ways. We are 38th nationally in TO/gm committed, so by taking care of the ball, we mitigate the idea of creating fewer TOs ourselves.

We also get a lot of our points in the paint, so we don’t greatly rely on the 3. If we were a team that shot 30 3s a game, I’d be more concerned about that stat. But still, top third in the country in 3-pt FG% is plenty acceptable for a team that butters their bread in the paint.
And do we ever butter it. 34-12 against FLA.
Wonder if there is a stat for points in the paint listed. We'd have to be pretty high up on it.

With a healthy LT, and a more confident Bowden our 3 pt.% is headed in the right direction; and Bone is hitting them better these days too.

Reactions: Vols All Day
And do we ever butter it. 34-12 against FLA.
Wonder if there is a stat for points in the paint listed. We'd have to be pretty high up on it.
There probably is a stat for it somewhere, but the fact that we have the 3rd highest FG% in all of college basketball and only the 136th highest 3-pt FG% tells you where most of our points come from.

We own the paint.

VN Store

Back