Solution to fake injuries

In soccer, if a goalkeeper is injured he can be treated on the field and not be forced to leave. This is recognition of the importance of the position. A QB could be similarly dealt with.

Playing QB is nothing like playing goalkeeper.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Another idea would be to lower everyone’s scholarships to NFL sized rosters. If you have less people to play, chances are you don’t have enough to keep rotating in and out. Could also implement a certain number of substitutions you are allowed. After that, you have to start using your timeouts. Once you are out of timeouts you are assessed a 5 yard penalty for Delay of Game for every instance of game stoppage.

I’d go with any player who needs assistance on the field is out for the rest of that drive. No exceptions. No number of injury timeouts per quarter either. If a player is “hurt” enough to need help then he needs to sit.
Screw this. If the NCAA won’t do anything then the conference can independently.

Reactions: tbh and sami
The solution is very simple - if a player is hurt and play is stopped, that player can't return for the remainder of that possession. It can be sold as a "player safety" measure, and will certainly make teams think twice before losing a key player in a big spot.

To remedy the idea of losing a QB who took a hard hit and needed a play to recover, maybe make it cost a time out for a player to return in the same possession. I'm not crazy about stuff like "injury timeouts" the same way as I hate the "coach's replay" garbage in the NFL - stuff like bad calls or injuries shouldn't be something else a coach needs to deal with as a 'strategy', as they have enough on their plate just coaching the game.

In reality, you could make the penalty or rule strictly for defensive player because that’s really where the problem lies. Though it’s probably impossible, it would solve any issues with qb injuries.

Reactions: guido4198
We knew Kiffin was a low-life, no class jerk that would do anything... the officiating was the absolute worst I've ever seen. The ref should have charged Ole Miss for delay of game on about the third instance of "defensive injuries." Tennessee did a lot to lose this game. It looked like Botch came back to call plays... but it was clear that the refs were not going to allow Tennesee a fair chance.

And if you weren't at the game be quiet about the fan reaction. It was reflective of what we saw happening throughout the game. I am absolutely sick at my stomach this morning.

If a player goes down they are out for the remainder of the possession. The reason for the rule can be they don't want players rushing back out there risking themselves to further injury. They don't have to say it's for people faking injuries to slow down games

If a player is injured, he cannot participate again until the next series. That would stop it.

This solution is too obvious and simple, no way NCAA would take it. They need a 2 paragraph, 6 bullet point solution instead that has to be mansplained to the fans 5 times a game for eternity.
That's what I was thinking. The geniuses that came up with the targeting rule should write this one. Right.

If there is an injured player, only that player should be allowed to substitute to cut down on allowing an entire defense to sub. Also, the player who stops gameplay must not be allowed to return until the next possession.
Unless the offense substitutes. Then defense can substitute freely.

VN Store

Back