Lady Vols Softball

I would think a little more . There is a public information way to know like the numbers that are shown for the new football employees. I just dont know how to get it . I was just thinking about all the disparity in relation to athletics and i know ralph and karen do pretty well as co head coaches! I enjoy talking with you sir!
Likewise, I enjoy a good honest conversation. My pollyanna attitude left years ago.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Yes if i remember correctly Kentucky got a dominate pitcher from ET a few years back but i cant remember her name that from what i understood did not even get an offer at UT. I do know she beat us a time or two during her days at Ky. I know you cant take them all but i wonder it our coaches are losing some clout? I was all for Marty leaving but to be fair how much actually he had to do with the pitchers and game decision making. With Karen and Ralph meddling it seemed he only was the so called pitching coach. I know he retired and ended up at Georgia Tech so he was actually forced out! Maybe they will let Megan do what they hired her to do!
Kelsey Nunley who went to Soddy Daisy is the one who went to KY . Marty was a gopher to my knowledge...go to the bullpen during games, go to Atlanta and California to recruit. Karen called the games and made the decisions inside the circle which translated to Megan coming on board.

Reactions: kregman
Yes if i remember correctly Kentucky got a dominate pitcher from ET a few years back but i cant remember her name that from what i understood did not even get an offer at UT. I do know she beat us a time or two during her days at Ky. I know you cant take them all but i wonder it our coaches are losing some clout? I was all for Marty leaving but to be fair how much actually he had to do with the pitchers and game decision making. With Karen and Ralph meddling it seemed he only was the so called pitching coach. I know he retired and ended up at Georgia Tech so he was actually forced out! Maybe they will let Megan do what they hired her to do!

Pulled this from and earlier post.

Just the last few years (2019-2022) from Middle TN, Chattanooga, East TN area they have lost national players to Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State/JMU, UAB, TX AM, Alabama, Aub, Florida, USC, Clemson, Liberty to name a few. In just that group of players are slappers with speed & power, OF, pitchers, catchers and MI. Megan will bridge that gap on keeping the players here.

Since this post, two top 150 kids committed both pitchers for the class of 2022. RHP to Louisiana and LHP to Tennessee Tech

Kelsey Nunley who went to Soddy Daisy is the one who went to KY . Marty was a gopher to my knowledge...go to the bullpen during games, go to Atlanta and California to recruit. Karen called the games and made the decisions inside the circle which translated to Megan coming on board.
yep that was her! and he was that!

Reactions: Majors
Pulled this from and earlier post.

Just the last few years (2019-2022) from Middle TN, Chattanooga, East TN area they have lost national players to Ole Miss, LSU, Miss State/JMU, UAB, TX AM, Alabama, Aub, Florida, USC, Clemson, Liberty to name a few. In just that group of players are slappers with speed & power, OF, pitchers, catchers and MI. Megan will bridge that gap on keeping the players here.

Since this post, two top 150 kids committed both pitchers for the class of 2022. RHP to Louisiana and LHP to Tennessee Tech

Players not staying in TN was not because of Marty and they won’t stay because of Megan. They don’t stay because of Ralph and Karen.

Reactions: lvfan and Majors
Players not staying in TN was not because of Marty and they won’t stay because of Megan. They don’t stay because of Ralph and Karen.

That's correct. If you want to peel back the layers, dive into the players who have transferred over the last few years pre and post portal.

I really think it is Karen more so than Ralph! Arnold who transferred to FSU and Scarlett quit before tourney is the most recent ones but i know Holcomb went back to the west coast home. She could not stay in the box but was a great outfielder. Other names escape me but in their years probably some i forgot as well. I know Spignor left years ago because Raven took her spot! I will add Gracie Osbron but no real info why she left that i heard. Karen has a ugly mouth on her i understand.

Last edited:
For you or anyone else don't need specific situations but what are the personality traits that Ralph and Karen have that turn players and people off to them? Talked with someone at stadium yesterday (at a distance!) and they were not big Ralph fans from interactions. Of course some love them obviously.

For you or anyone else don't need specific situations but what are the personality traits that Ralph and Karen have that turn players and people off to them? Talked with someone at stadium yesterday (at a distance!) and they were not big Ralph fans from interactions. Of course some love them obviously.
Just like recruiting you have two sides to the person, the one who recruited you and the one once you're on campus coach. I've had little interactions with the Weekly's but those I know in the circle have a great relationship with them. Those that I know with some of the players below have a different view. With numbers being what they are, if you're potential All American/All SEC you have a different relationship than those that are not (that goes for any college sport).

Kali Phillips wanted to transfer after her FR year, hers was recruiting vs. on campus
Caylan Arnold was needing a new home as she was beat down
Haley Tober back to CA after two years of playing, played over 100 games
Jessical Addell to Louisville
Aldrete due to her friends death back home
Scarlet McSwain was a due to Ralph

Last edited:
Just like recruiting you have two sides to the person, the one who recruited you and the one once you're on campus coach. I've had little interactions with the Weekly's but those I know in the circle have a great relationship with them. Those that I know with some of the players below have a different view. With numbers being what they are, if you're potential All American/All SEC you have a different relationship than those that are not (that goes for any college sport).

Kali Phillips wanted to transfer after her FR year, hers was recruiting vs. on campus
Caylan Arnold was needing a new home as she was beat down
Haley Tober back to CA after two years of playing, played over 100 games
Jessical Addell to Louisville
Aldrete due to her friends death back home
Scarlet McSwain was a due to Ralph
Those you referenced the only one that i see that was going to be missed was Caylan. Course Annie was messed up beyond repair this far from Home with the friend problem. Philips just could not cut SEC pitching but was decent at 3rd. Scarlett was gone in a few games anyway. I was told she was getting way too much coaching from home and it was more the way Karen treated her for a few years. Also there was Taylor Rowland who never seemed to hit here went to Long Beach i think and was an AA her junior year. Just though of the catcher from Cali that got beat out early by Annie and she left. Pretty good player . Cannot think of her name!

Sounds like if you get on Ralph or Karen's bad side you never get off and have to leave. Probably some good players had to leave just because they pissed off one of the 2 one time.

Akameine the only person Morgan could beat in a foot race! :) We really love recruiting California girls with some success but have trouble keeping a number of them.

Akameine the only person Morgan could beat in a foot race! :) We really love recruiting California girls with some success but have trouble keeping a number of them.

My oldest played for a CA team a few summers ago. The demeanor of the CA kid is different than those from the South. Her 3B/SS is for the first time traveling east to play in the Big East and will interesting to see how she adapts to the brutal winters and being 2,500 miles from home. I believe TN is slowly getting away from the CA pipeline with Covid and recognizing they can get kids from a 4 hour radius that is just as good.

After watching the games a few notes: Hannon is really lining the ball. Morgan having a great start. Kiki has looked better and Chelsea seem to get it going yesterday. Of course our level of competition is not high yet. Need Ally and Parsons to get going. Davis also is hitting very well.

My oldest played for a CA team a few summers ago. The demeanor of the CA kid is different than those from the South. Her 3B/SS is for the first time traveling east to play in the Big East and will interesting to see how she adapts to the brutal winters and being 2,500 miles from home. I believe TN is slowly getting away from the CA pipeline with Covid and recognizing they can get kids from a 4 hour radius that is just as good.
That seems to be reflected in our recent recruiting which has rebounded from a couple of so so years. To get back to the mountaintop it is going to take getting an elite pitcher or two.

Davis .471
Parsons .357
Hannon .348
Alaya .346
Seggren .318
Milloy .304
Shipman .208
Those that have played every game! Not to hot against our weak competition!

That seems to be reflected in our recent recruiting which has rebounded from a couple of so so years. To get back to the mountaintop it is going to take getting an elite pitcher or two.
Yes and it seems the teams that get one always get one or more!

LOL Akamine was soooo slow. She famously got thrown out from the outfield at Florida one year. As in she hit she should've been a single but she was so slow running to 1B that she got thrown out by the right fielder.

I really think it is Karen more so than Ralph! Arnold who transferred to FSU and Scarlett quit before tourney is the most recent ones but i know Holcomb went back to the west coast home. She could not stay in the box but was a great outfielder. Other names escape me but in their years probably some i forgot as well. I know Spignor left years ago because Raven took her spot! I will add Gracie Osbron but no real info why she left that i heard. Karen has a ugly mouth on her i understand.

Spigner was actually dismissed from the team according to her dad and a parent of another player at the time. From what I was told there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with that one and the players agreed it was the right decision to dismiss her. She had been suspended from some games that season.

The list of players that have left the team over the years because of Karen is a long one. She's definitely the hard ass of the two while Ralph is more of the softie. Ralph tends to play favorites a bit, though, whereas everyone feels Karen's wrath. It's difficult to have a coach, boss, teacher, etc. where you're basically walking on egg shells around them all the time, and I would think as a pitcher it's probably even harder. Ironically, I had a boss at a job I worked at for three years that was very much Karen's temperament. Even looked like her some. It was three years of hell and I felt so much relief when I left that job. Some players can take four years of it and some can't.

Holcomb didn't really transfer, though. I mean, she kind of did, but she graduated from UT (I think). She only had a year left because of COVID, and basically is a 5th year senior. She basically did what Abby Lockman did, which is graduate and then leave to go back to Cali as a graduate transfer. Abby also had an extra year of eligibility because she redshirted because of an injury.

Spigner was actually dismissed from the team according to her dad and a parent of another player at the time. From what I was told there was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with that one and the players agreed it was the right decision to dismiss her. She had been suspended from some games that season.

The list of players that have left the team over the years because of Karen is a long one. She's definitely the hard ass of the two while Ralph is more of the softie. Ralph tends to play favorites a bit, though, whereas everyone feels Karen's wrath. It's difficult to have a coach, boss, teacher, etc. where you're basically walking on egg shells around them all the time, and I would think as a pitcher it's probably even harder. Ironically, I had a boss at a job I worked at for three years that was very much Karen's temperament. Even looked like her some. It was three years of hell and I felt so much relief when I left that job. Some players can take four years of it and some can't.

Holcomb didn't really transfer, though. I mean, she kind of did, but she graduated from UT (I think). She only had a year left because of COVID, and basically is a 5th year senior. She basically did what Abby Lockman did, which is graduate and then leave to go back to Cali as a graduate transfer. Abby also had an extra year of eligibility because she redshirted because of an injury.
Holcomb was going to work on a masters so for the economics of it went back to the left coast. She left under good terms from what i was told . Yes i had forgot about Abby who was another that just never hit like she was expected. Good kid they say. Yes can you imagine all them females together all the time with everything that was softball related. All them harmons causing tensions to run high, My office had myself and 4 ladies if you will and it was a constant bitch fest.

Over the years they have relied too much on the travel ball circuits cream of the crop to stock their roster (Marty going coast to coast) and player rankings in recruiting. Sprang is a perfect example, looks great in the circle, lefty, high flo softball ranking, played for GA Impact a loaded team and killed school ball in Minnesota. Got her and it never translated on the field both physically and mentally.

Sprang was also a very early commit. I believe she committed as like a freshman in HS. In pretty much all sports, many early commits don't work out. I think of Lauren Avant for the basketball team. Players don't develop the same. At the time Sprang committed to UT, she was the best pitcher in the class. Her senior year, she didn't have great stats and I was surprised she was still ranked so high, but I remembered those rankings are highly political but also usually only encompass travel ball performance. When players commit early, it can make staffs overlook other players that have developed into better players. In the case of Avant, we took her over Odyssey Sims, who wanted to come to UT, and by the time they graduated was a much better player. Avant, when she committed here, was the #1 player in the class, so we didn't want anyone else for her position. I know softball has a larger roster and more positions, but I feel the same thing happens. Early commits have traditionally been very common in softball and many of them don't turn out to be good college players and/or they wind up transferring.

Honestly, Ashley Morgan also played for GA Impact and was the Gatorade POY for the state of Georgia ... and she hasn't done much of anything in her career here. Hopefully she can finish out strong in her LV career.

Reactions: Majors and kregman
Sprang was also a very early commit. I believe she committed as like a freshman in HS. In pretty much all sports, many early commits don't work out. I think of Lauren Avant for the basketball team. Players don't develop the same. At the time Sprang committed to UT, she was the best pitcher in the class. Her senior year, she didn't have great stats and I was surprised she was still ranked so high, but I remembered those rankings are highly political but also usually only encompass travel ball performance. When players commit early, it can make staffs overlook other players that have developed into better players. In the case of Avant, we took her over Odyssey Sims, who wanted to come to UT, and by the time they graduated was a much better player. Avant, when she committed here, was the #1 player in the class, so we didn't want anyone else for her position. I know softball has a larger roster and more positions, but I feel the same thing happens. Early commits have traditionally been very common in softball and many of them don't turn out to be good college players and/or they wind up transferring.

Honestly, Ashley Morgan also played for GA Impact and was the Gatorade POY for the state of Georgia ... and she hasn't done much of anything in her career here. Hopefully she can finish out strong in her LV career.
Yep but in the case of the Shipman girls both committed early and i want to say each was in the8th grade. Now they cannot do that any more.

VN Store

Back