Lady Vols Softball

Honestly...everytime I hear the football players complain about not getting paid actual money to play, I think of all the athletes in equivalency sports that don't even get full scholarships (unlike football players). Most NCAA athletes aren't even going to school on a full scholarship, and then there are the walk-ons that don't get anything.
Yep but bitchers are going to bitch like football players for sure!

Last edited:
We spoke to Karen Weekly on the show this morning about the challenges they've faced in getting ready for the upcoming season, the development of the pitchers, the schedule that's missing the usual big names and more: Karen Weekly joins the EA Show 2-1-21

On the schedule discussion, the exact slate that we would have faced at the ESPN Clearwater Tournament wasn't set in stone, but I know we had been guaranteed two WCWS teams from 2019. Four, if not all five, games would have been against Top 25 teams.

We spoke to Karen Weekly on the show this morning about the challenges they've faced in getting ready for the upcoming season, the development of the pitchers, the schedule that's missing the usual big names and more: Karen Weekly joins the EA Show 2-1-21

On the schedule discussion, the exact slate that we would have faced at the ESPN Clearwater Tournament wasn't set in stone, but I know we had been guaranteed two WCWS teams from 2019. Four, if not all five, games would have been against Top 25 teams.
Always play the best teams possible. Nothing gained by beating lesser teams. You lose you look weak, you win.. well so what, you were supposed to

Reactions: SEC FAN 1111
Always play the best teams possible. Nothing gained by beating lesser teams. You lose you look weak, you win.. well so what, you were supposed to

I don't want to get into a whole back-and-forth about the schedule, you're welcome to have whatever opinion you want. But I think you're underestimating how difficult scheduling is in a normal year and how virtually impossible it was this year.

On a yearly basis, UT plays top 25 teams at one of three spots: Arizona State, the Mary Nutter, or the ESPN Clearwater. This year, it was supposed to be Clearwater, with 4-5 games against other top 25 teams. With that in mind and not wanting to cris-cross the country the week before, UT committed to the Coastal Carolina tourney the week before, which is thankfully still on. UT had a solid, top-25 level opponent scheduled for the home tournament, but that team's conference looked to be going conference-only and they dropped out. Another P5 opponent was scheduled for UT's current SEC off week in March, but they too dropped off after their conference schedule was redone. We hope there will be another midwest team in the Texas A&M Tournament the first week in March.

But it's not just UT, I would invite you to look at the schedules of Florida, Georgia and Alabama, which I've linked below. Nobody is playing the usual slate because of the travel restrictions many programs are currently under. Florida is lucky to have USF and FSU in state. Alabama was already committed to Texas' tournament, so they got to keep that one. Georgia was able to get Oklahoma to come there in April for a pair of midweeks because of the long gaps in the Big 12 schedule.

Florida: 2021 Softball Schedule - Florida Gators
Alabama: 2021 Softball Schedule - University of Alabama Athletics
Georgia: 2021 Softball Schedule - University of Georgia Athletics

I don't want to get into a whole back-and-forth about the schedule, you're welcome to have whatever opinion you want. But I think you're underestimating how difficult scheduling is in a normal year and how virtually impossible it was this year.

On a yearly basis, UT plays top 25 teams at one of three spots: Arizona State, the Mary Nutter, or the ESPN Clearwater. This year, it was supposed to be Clearwater, with 4-5 games against other top 25 teams. With that in mind and not wanting to cris-cross the country the week before, UT committed to the Coastal Carolina tourney the week before, which is thankfully still on. UT had a solid, top-25 level opponent scheduled for the home tournament, but that team's conference looked to be going conference-only and they dropped out. Another P5 opponent was scheduled for UT's current SEC off week in March, but they too dropped off after their conference schedule was redone. We hope there will be another midwest team in the Texas A&M Tournament the first week in March.

But it's not just UT, I would invite you to look at the schedules of Florida, Georgia and Alabama, which I've linked below. Nobody is playing the usual slate because of the travel restrictions many programs are currently under. Florida is lucky to have USF and FSU in state. Alabama was already committed to Texas' tournament, so they got to keep that one. Georgia was able to get Oklahoma to come there in April for a pair of midweeks because of the long gaps in the Big 12 schedule.

You got any info of whether that Coastal Carolina Tourney will be streamed by anyone?

Tennessee should win most non-conference games. But with the parity in women's sports rising and more kids going to lower D1 schools to play sooner, a Power 5 like Tennessee can lose anytime to a ETSU, UAB, Tenn. Tech etc. If they play 10 games, UT "should" win 9 out of 10. But one game you can get a ETSU upset like last year. UAB came in fall 2019 and had their way with TN.

Thanks Brian! Heard the interview with Karen and appreciate it very much. Since travel for you will be different i assume will you have to travel by automobile? Just wondering!

Tennessee should win most non-conference games. But with the parity in women's sports rising and more kids going to lower D1 schools to play sooner, a Power 5 like Tennessee can lose anytime to a ETSU, UAB, Tenn. Tech etc. If they play 10 games, UT "should" win 9 out of 10. But one game you can get a ETSU upset like last year. UAB came in fall 2019 and had their way with TN.
Very true. The main difference in P5’s and lower D1’s on down to D2 is pitching. Once you get out of the top 20, pitching is really what separates them. This could be helped if softball would implement a pitch count in travel similar to baseball. Travel baseball will have about 8 pitchers per team whereas softball will carry 3.

Reactions: Majors
Very true. The main difference in P5’s and lower D1’s on down to D2 is pitching. Once you get out of the top 20, pitching is really what separates them. This could be helped if softball would implement a pitch count in travel similar to baseball. Travel baseball will have about 8 pitchers per team whereas softball will carry 3.
Absolutely agree on the right pitcher can change a program from middle of the pack to competing. With the way the softball game has changed a pitch count for most true travel organizations isn't necessary from 16U on if they are playing a true showcase. The unspoken rule/format is 1-2 innings, sometimes more for a game depending on who is in the stands requesting to see a certain P. Most teams carry 3-4 as you said, with maybe 2 of those being a PO. The college game has the opportunity to have multiple pitchers in a game because the way the showcase format. Marty has 8 pitchers at GT and has tinkered with the idea of rotating out multiple a game to give different looks. Tennessee has 6 on roster with Rogers being the #1, but there is depth to throw her like the MLB as a starter, then a relief and a closer maybe one of the lefites.

With this being a different year and the talent in the state of Tennessee for the Class of 21 and 22 nationally it would have been a great year for the Tennessee universities to come together and play each other. This would work for Tennessee, ETSU, TN Tech, MTSU, UTC (although bad blood between the UT and UTC), Memphis, Belmont, UT-Martin, Austin Peay in a 4-5 game guarantee and maybe rotate it each year moving forward as athletic departments are trying to save money with travel.

You got any info of whether that Coastal Carolina Tourney will be streamed by anyone?

Possible they stream the game against Coastal Carolina, but not the other games. Unfortunately, due to their COVID space restrictions, CCU isn't currently going to allow us to do a radio broadcast of the games there. We should have every other game with free audio.

Thanks Brian! Heard the interview with Karen and appreciate it very much. Since travel for you will be different i assume will you have to travel by automobile? Just wondering!

The SEC didn't allow broadcasters to travel for basketball, visiting radio crews had to call games off of monitors at home. Because video feeds can't be guaranteed for every game in baseball and softball, they are allowing us to travel, but broadcasters have to travel separately from the team this year. It'll be different for sure.

Well managed to sneak into the limited season tickets. Almost at the top of the bleacher seats, but I don't care. Will be interesting to see if defense is fixed and Megan influence on the pitchers. There will be a number of games i won't be able to make it too especially Sunday games if anyone would like some free tickets (2) let me know and will try and work it out. They are mobile this year not paper.

Well managed to sneak into the limited season tickets. Almost at the top of the bleacher seats, but I don't care. Will be interesting to see if defense is fixed and Megan influence on the pitchers. There will be a number of games i won't be able to make it too especially Sunday games if anyone would like some free tickets (2) let me know and will try and work it out. They are mobile this year not paper.

I believe that is why Megan was hired so Karen could focus on defense. We were in a lot games last year just by hitting but defense let us down. Karen will fix that for sure.

Well managed to sneak into the limited season tickets. Almost at the top of the bleacher seats, but I don't care. Will be interesting to see if defense is fixed and Megan influence on the pitchers. There will be a number of games i won't be able to make it too especially Sunday games if anyone would like some free tickets (2) let me know and will try and work it out. They are mobile this year [VIDEO=]
[/VIDEO]

Kregman, or anyone else, I would be very interested in any tickets that you may have available. I was very disappointed that I was unable to get my season tickets this year. Im even willing to buy tickets from an individual and not a scalper asking stupid prices. I can be reached at jonhensley@hotmail.com.

Reactions: kregman and Majors
Uconn has a softball team and were supposed to play them in this upcoming tourney. Anyone know anything about them? I don't think they have been into softball for very long there.

Reactions: Majors
Uconn has a softball team and were supposed to play them in this upcoming tourney. Anyone know anything about them? I don't think they have been into softball for very long there.

Up and coming team and coach. Coach Valentino (came from Duke) is building up and will be a force. She is building a California connection and getting kids to come East, she was relentless on the recruiting. Helped get Duke up and going and is doing the same with UConn. My daughter played summer with one of her new signees and a grew up and played with TN signee from last year, without missing a beat she said UConn got the better player for the same position.

Megan will help the pitchers be who they are and their styles.

How did Ally not make the preseason All Sec team? Ashley and Chelsea made it. Show me a better catcher in the league overall.
If I had to guess it was due to her injury FR year and short season last year. Same could be said for Ashley was to why she was on it, played FR year but didn't last year.

Can’t tell you exactly how long they’ve had a program, but it’s been at least since 2000, a co-worker’s ex wife played there 00-03.

Reactions: Volfan2012
How did Ally not make the preseason All Sec team? Ashley and Chelsea made it. Show me a better catcher in the league overall.

Davidson is the only catcher on the list. She has a all American title already. Monster numbers with her time at Miss. st.

Reactions: tim

VN Store

Back