Social media attempt to get “One more year!” chant for Hooker during Vandy game

I don’t think anyone is pretending they want Hooker back for any other reason than because we would be a force with him at the helm next year.

That being said, I also don’t want him to get Jamie Newman’d. Newman transferred to Georgia and was getting a ton of preseason hype, then took some bad advice and sat out the year to prepare to get drafted… then he wasn’t drafted. I would really hate to see that happen to Hooker.
Yeah, Jamie Newman screwed himself over big time. The risk for Hooker isn’t in sitting out, but rather suffering an injury behind a potentially worse o-line and then going undrafted in a better qb class next draft. This year’s qb draft class isn’t loaded and Hooker is coming off a strong performance.

In a perfect world, Hooker gets drafted this year, Heup sells that on the recruiting trail, he brings in a portal qb that runs his system at a high level next season because said qb sees that Heup can get him to the NFL, Vols cruise to SEC title. Maybe not all of those happen, but I trust Heup to find a guy that can run his offense well if Hooker leaves.

The guy's 24. He will be entering the NFL at an age when many would be negotiating a 2nd contract.

I think he would benefit from staying another year, but I completely understand why he might not.

At some point it's just time to enter that next phase of your life.

Just for the record, I don't think he has NFL arm strength... his medium/deep throws have a tendency to flutter. But I'm just a schmuck sitting on my couch cheering for the Vols, what do I know?

He's 23.. and that's even more reason to maximize his first contract. Its all about guaranteed money in the NFL.

Reactions: lukeneyland
He's NOT ready. I mean don't get me wrong..he's good, and I'm no scout.
I don't get paid to grade talent, so take it with a grain of salt.

Because what do really know?
No offense!

Just don't even pay attention to what I'm saying.

..jdjdm...

Not a fan of this. Seems disrespectful.

Selfishly I hope he stays another year, but if he decides going to the NFL Draft is the best decision, that's what he should do. Personally think he'll benefit from another year, but I'm no expert.
Then swaying him would mean a lot.

He's 23.. and that's even more reason to maximize his first contract. Its all about guaranteed money in the NFL.
He'll be 24 by the 2022 draft and 25 if he waited for the 2023.
Guess he needs to see what his draft grade is. Thing is he's pretty hot now, put up good numbers and TN is the up and coming team. Trey Lance only played one full season in college and didn't play but 1 or 2 games during the covid year before deciding to get ready for the draft so one year can get you drafted.
The risk of coming back and getting hurt is a concern. Also there are some key guys that this is their last year. If TN for whatever reason doesn't have the flash next season how would he be viewed then.
I'd like to see him come back but at the same time he's not getting any younger if he grades high enough, he should go.

Let’s lay it out there.

Why would he come back? what would be HIS primary motivation to return?

Improve draft stock? Go to another bowl game? Win the East? Win a natty? Win a heisman? Loyalty to UT/Heupel?

We can definitely throw the natty out the window, maybe the East. I just wonder what drives him and would drive a decision to return.

What ever Hendon does is fine for me.He has given us an incredible year, and,selfishly ,I pray that he returns,but,if he goes on,I hope the best of life for a VFL.

His birthday is in January... for all intents and purposes he's 24.

I do understand your main point, though. As I stated earlier, sometimes you reach a point where you just feel it is time to move on to the next phase of your life. I could understand if Hendon decided either way.

Selfishly I hope he comes back.

Captain Hook is has NFL all over him talent. So does Milton. Milton has had too much zip on the ball. Seems like he improved. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them both on Sunday. Receivers have to have soft hands too.

How great could HH be as a Vol with JH as HC next year?

I was mad at Shuler when he left early. I wanted to see what he could do with his brother. Seems like every time Benji got on the field Heath would throw him a TD.

Captain’s choice.

Let’s be honest, we don’t really want Hooker back because it might help him in the draft. We want him back because our football team will be much better with him here than without. That’s what is important to us. We grow up wanting UT to win college games. These kids grow up wanting a chance to bet on themselves and have a shot at the NFL. Shooters shoot, right? I say let Hendon shoot. He has an opportunity none of us dreamed of after 6th grade. If Heup can get Hooker into the NFL after just one season, Hooker wins and UT wins because we can sell that in recruiting.

* Don’t @ me with your ‘I really do want what’s best for the player’ unless you can back that up with how you wanted what’s best for JG, Maurer, Shrout, Milton, Bailey, Salter, all the Pruitt transfers, etc. It’s ok to say ‘I just want what’s best for UT.’ Just own it.

Yep. It's a win-win either way. If he opts to head to the NFL (and especially if he lights it up once he's there), that speaks to the UT coaching staff's player development skills. If he sticks around and lights it up in orange and white, that is great as well (and could improve his draft stock). Both routes have their risks and rewards, but regardless I'm glad he chose UT as his landing spot, as he helped make this offense something special this year. Go Vols!

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
You can also cheer for HH with your dollars by purchasing his children’s book for gifts…

(https://www.hookedonsports.org/)

Sorry folks, I know I’m posting this in multiple threads. I think it important. Whether he stays (and I believe he will) or moves on, let’s show him we’ve appreciated the show this season.
I think it’s important for that future of Tennessee recruiting... if we don’t support a children’s book from our starting QB, why would anyone come here if they are seeking financial assistance?

I get that, but he could also make 3 or 4x the money with the flick of his pen signing as an early rounder in 2023 than he would going this year as a late rounder or UDFA.
Who says that he’s going to be a late round pick or undrafted free agent? Kiper has him as the 7th ranked QB in the class. That would normally translate to a third or fourth round pick. There are also numerous draft rankings that have him just outside the top 100. Which would also have him in the third or fourth round discussion. Plus the way that teams reach for QB’s it wouldn’t be completely shocking if he worked his way into the second round, especially considering how weak this years QB class is.

Who says that he’s going to be a late round pick or undrafted free agent? Kiper has him as the 7th ranked QB in the class. That would normally translate to a third or fourth round pick. There are also numerous draft rankings that have him just outside the top 100. Which would also have him in the third or fourth round discussion. Plus the way that teams reach for QB’s it wouldn’t be completely shocking if he worked his way into the second round, especially considering how weak this years QB class is.

7th QB in most years is around a 5th round pick, unless the class is really strong. This year it isn’t. Dobbs was around the 7th taken and he went in the fifth round. Crompton was like the 5th taken and he went in the 5th round. Tee Martin was the 4th or 5th QB taken in the 5th round.

Also the only analyst that has Hendon rated in the Top 10 is Kiper, and he’s not anymore qualified than the rest or the analysts. Ask him about Jimmy Clausen some time.

I hope Hooker stays. Him not participating in Senior Day activities is a good sign. He will be a top 3 Heisman Finalist if he returns. I also think if he returns then Tillman definitely returns.

7th QB in most years is around a 5th round pick, unless the class is really strong. This year it isn’t. Dobbs was around the 7th taken and he went in the fifth round. Crompton was like the 5th taken and he went in the 5th round. Tee Martin was the 4th or 5th QB taken in the 5th round.

Also the only analyst that has Hendon rated in the Top 10 is Kiper, and he’s not anymore qualified than the rest or the analysts. Ask him about Jimmy Clausen some time.
Dobbs was a fourth round pick, not a fifth round pick. Each of the last five years there’s been at least seven quarterbacks taken in the first four rounds of the draft.

Obviously, if he stays, he has the opportunity to increase his draft stock, and therefore, money in his pocket. But there’s something to be said for taking the money now, even fifth round money would put him far ahead in life. And of course, there’s always the risk of a career ending injury.

If I was fortunate enough to be in his shoes, I think I take the money and chance now and if you are indeed NFL material, the money will follow eventually.

VN Store

Back