So why do you think Freeze wound up at Liberty?

Why did interest in Freeze drop so fast?

• Just too much baggage

• New transgressions came up

• Sankey just said "No!"

• Liberty was his true dream job all along

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't wish to get into a theological discussion because no good will come of it, however I would point out that I am giving Liberty the benefit of the doubt here by just assuming they are simply being foolish rather than being hypocrites.
That's certainly possible, but by no means a given. By that logic, most of God's chosen leaders and prophets throughout history would be disqualified. Moses was a murderer; David sent an underling to his death so he could sleep with the man's wife; Jacob, the man whom the nation of Israel was named for, was called "the deceiver" because he tricked his brother out of the latter's birthright; Solomon, whom the Bible states was the wisest man who ever lived, married pagan women; Paul arrested Christians and helped send them to their deaths; etc. Unless you would argue that what Hugh Freeze did is worse than murder, or adultery, or stealing a sibling's inheritance, or sending innocent people to their deaths, it's hard to make the argument that Liberty acted foolishly. It's much easier to argue that they lived out their Christian faith in this situation.

Reactions: orange_glory
all the hypocrisy and ganging up on Freeze is sickening and needs to stop.

how many people on this board would want their sins (and EVERYONE has them) broadcast
all over the country for people to see ? how about putting a thousand threads on the board
detailing OUR DIRTY LAUNDRY AND SINS ???

people are like a pack of wild dogs and sure love to gang up on some poor guy who is unfortunate
to have his personal moral sins come out in public aren't they ?

how about let's try praying for Freeze, his wife and family and shut up ?

Didn’t he kind of bring it on himself.....he was hiding behind bible verses while buying hookers....paying players....trying to throw the previous coach under the bus....lying to players to keep them from decommiting....that’s not including the things he was accused of at the high school....I am sure there are more skeletons in that closet that people don’t know about yet.

Didn’t he kind of bring it on himself.....he was hiding behind bible verses while buying hookers....paying players....trying to throw the previous coach under the bus....lying to players to keep them from decommiting....that’s not including the things he was accused of at the high school....I am sure there are more skeletons in that closet that people don’t know about yet.
how many sins have you committed and how many skeletons are in your closet ?
Judgement of Hugh Freeze belongs to the Lord Jesus ... not to YOU and not to ME.
may God bless Liberty U for having the courage and faith to give this man a chance.

Last edited:
Judgement of Hugh Freeze belongs to the Lord Jesus ... not to YOU and not to ME.
None any where close to his level and I definitely wasn’t out there talking about how holy I am while I was doing every unethical thing that he could think of.

Reactions: AM64
I do and also realize that the catholic church does indeed help those universities out. At Tn the football program funds many things outside of sports at the university, it is my understanding that those institutions you listed keep their athletic donations and "catholic" donations separately. You seem to have that knowledge but the Vatican has to be one of the wealthiest organizations in the world and their institutions you would think would benefit from those resources, do they not donate anything to their schools?
So sorry for the kind of double post reply but I thought of a better analogy. SMU has Methodist in their name and there are some funds that come from the United Methodist church but it has more to do with fulfilling the charter of bringing a Methodist education to the masses and less of what happened with athletics and the death penalty. Notre Dame is in the same vein from the perspective of the money that comes from the Vatican is allocated to putting catholic scholars and dogma into the world .

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
None any where close to his level and I definitely wasn’t out there talking about how holy I am while I was doing every unethical thing that he could think of.
think carefully about what you just wrote and the attitude you have. One day you will be standing in front of the judgement seat of Christ and have to explain and give an account of that --- just as we all will do the same for everything we have said and done in this life.

Last edited:
It must be nice to have arrived at moral superiority and not be subject to judgment from God or anyone else. All the rest of us poor wayward saps have to live by Matthew 7:5.

think carefully about what you just wrote and the attitude you have. One day you will be standing in front of the judgement seat of Christ and have to ezplain and give an account of that --- just as we all will do the same for everything we have said and done in this life.
Give it a rest. This is a football forum and Sunday is tomorrow.

Reactions: AM64
may God bless Liberty U for having the courage and faith to give this man a chance.
Yes, bless Jerry Falwell Jr and Ian McCaw. They certainly aren’t chasing $$$ signs.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: zaqhhh
It must be nice to have arrived at moral superiority and not be subject to judgment from God or anyone else. All the rest of us poor wayward saps have to live by Matthew 7:5.

Wasn’t it Hugh Freeze that was spouting off about moral superiority....I just believe actions have consequences.....What did Freeze think would happen when all his lies were found out.

That's certainly possible, but by no means a given. By that logic, most of God's chosen leaders and prophets throughout history would be disqualified. Moses was a murderer; David sent an underling to his death so he could sleep with the man's wife; Jacob, the man whom the nation of Israel was named for, was called "the deceiver" because he tricked his brother out of the latter's birthright; Solomon, whom the Bible states was the wisest man who ever lived, married pagan women; Paul arrested Christians and helped send them to their deaths; etc. Unless you would argue that what Hugh Freeze did is worse than murder, or adultery, or stealing a sibling's inheritance, or sending innocent people to their deaths, it's hard to make the argument that Liberty acted foolishly. It's much easier to argue that they lived out their Christian faith in this situation.
Well you certainly get an A for biblical history, however Freeze has demonstrated the behavior of a confidence man in his past, and confidence men are notorious for taking advantage of sentimentality and making people feel like they are doing good deeds by helping them. People who are responsible for others, especially young people don't have the freedom to indulge their conscience, they have to be good stewards and try to exercise good judgment in separating the wheat from the chaff.

In any event, I don't think your bibical examples are really very analogous or guiding in this situation, God forgave these people sure, but God's judgment is perfect, he sees people's hearts. We don't, we can only discern as best we can from the facts available. For every authentic repentance that occurs in the Bible or in real life, there are many that are not authentic. This isn't a matter of deciding whether Hugh Freeze should live or be a free man, this is a matter of deciding whether, 16 odd months after he put a lot of young men's future into great uncertainty, hurt his family and many other people, lied to authorities, and whored around on his wife, if he should be given stewardship over another 100 or so other young men and hundreds of thousands of dollars. And I stand by my opinion that I don't think Liberty has made the wisest choice in this matter.

As for 3 of your 5 biblical examples (David, Solomon, and Jacob) their authority was hereditary, they never lost it and no one had to discern whether to give it back to them, so they aren't really very helpful. David was king when his issue occurred and it's not like the whole nation found out and voted him back in anyway, in fact no one knew about David and Bath Sheba, other than God and Nathan the Prophet. God forgave him after he repented when Nathan confronted him, but there was still a price to be paid, his son by Bath Sheba died. Jacob had some shady dealings I admit, but again, he seemed to outgrow them over time and his position as leader was based on the birthright being passed to him by his father, and that was that. Soloman, ditto, King when he married pagan wives, King when he died. No one had to discern whether to give them power back, they had it.

Moses killed an Egyptian slavedriver, among the people (the enslaved Jews in Egypt) he led his murder was something which, rather than being viewed as a negative, was in all likelihood a feather in his cap, so not really analogous. As for Paul, I am pretty sure the New Testament makes specific mention that a number of Christians didn't trust Paul for a quite a while after his conversion.

EDIT: As Tennrich1 points out, David did not inherit the throne by heredity, however he WAS already King when the incident with Bath Sheba occurred, he already had power, it is not an example of some group of people giving him power back. Again, no one even knew about it other than Nathan and God. God is the only person who could have taken his power, and God's judgment, unlike ours, is again perfect. He knew David's repentance was true.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say anything but it is a pittance compared to their annual budget. I agree on the riches but The Vatican uses a lot of its resources in funding education,furthering the gospel and lawsuits...🤨
Notre Dame is in large part self funded as far as athletics are concerned. So as simply as I can put it they are sustained in part by funded endowments for the benefit of religious scholars ie priests and brothers (monks) and sisters (nuns) that happen to have phds in history mathematics biology etc and administration. In the same vein that the prespertyrian church funds some things at Duke. But the Vatican doesn’t have a bag of money and says go get bob davie to save us lol. Notre Dame has one of the richest and widespread alumni donor list in the world which is one reason they have that stupid money tv contract with nbc.
That makes sense, their TV contract is a small drop in a big bucket in today's market, but like you say they probably don't need it

So sorry for the kind of double post reply but I thought of a better analogy. SMU has Methodist in their name and there are some funds that come from the United Methodist church but it has more to do with fulfilling the charter of bringing a Methodist education to the masses and less of what happened with athletics and the death penalty. Notre Dame is in the same vein from the perspective of the money that comes from the Vatican is allocated to putting catholic scholars and dogma into the world .
Thanks for the input, SMU reference was spot on.

Reactions: bag12day
think carefully about what you just wrote and the attitude you have. One day you will be standing in front of the judgement seat of Christ and have to explain and give an account of that --- just as we all will do the same for everything we have said and done in this life.
Yep and he has to make things right with god but here on earth he has to face consequences for his actions....that has nothing to do with the after life....Freeze is a good football coach but isn’t very bright.

Yep and he has to make things right with god but here on earth he has to face consequences for his actions....that has nothing to do with the after life....Freeze is a good football coach but isn’t very bright.
i think we are done here.. have a good night

Well you certainly get an A for biblical history, however Freeze has demonstrated the behavior of a confidence man in his past, and confidence men are notorious for taking advantage of sentimentality and making people feel like they are doing good deeds by helping them. People who are responsible for others, especially young people don't have the freedom to indulge their conscience, they have to be good stewards and try to exercise good judgment in separating the wheat from the chaff.

In any event, I don't think your bibical examples are really very analogous or guiding in this situation, God forgave these people sure, but God's judgment is perfect, he sees people's hearts. We don't, we can only discern as best we can from the facts available. For every authentic repentance that occurs in the Bible or in real life, there are many that are not authentic. This isn't a matter of deciding whether Hugh Freeze should live or be a free man, this is a matter of deciding whether, 16 odd months after he put a lot of young men's future into great uncertainty, hurt his family and many other people, lied to authorities, and whored around on his wife, if he should be given stewardship over another 100 or so other young men and hundreds of thousands of dollars. And I stand by my opinion that I don't think Liberty has made the wisest choice in this matter.

As for 3 of your 5 biblical examples (David, Solomon, and Jacob) their authority was hereditary, they never lost it and no one had to discern whether to give it back to them, so they aren't really very helpful. David was king when his issue occurred and it's not like the whole nation found out and voted him back in anyway, in fact no one knew about David and Bath Sheba, other than God and Nathan the Prophet. God forgave him after he repented when Nathan confronted him, but there was still a price to be paid, his son by Bath Sheba died. Jacob had some shady dealings I admit, but again, he seemed to outgrow them over time and his position as leader was based on the birthright being passed to him by his father, and that was that. Soloman, ditto, King when he married pagan wives, King when he died. No one had to discern whether to give them power back, they had it.

Moses killed an Egyptian slavedriver, among the people he led his murder was something which, rather than being viewed as a negative, was in all likelihood a feather in his cap among the group he led, the oppressed Israelite slaves, so not really analogous. As for Paul, I am pretty sure the New Testament makes specific mention that a number of Christians didn't trust Paul for a quite a while after his conversion.
Not to enter the fray of this discussion (obviously lifeisdeep DOES NOT NEED MY HELP but David was not hereditary. In fact his own father thought that the prophet had made a HUGE MISTAKE when he said the youngest shepherd out in the fields would be ordained King of Israel and this started the "hereditary" line. David was made king because he was a "man after God's own heart". The only person God says that about in the bible. Just a clarification.

Choices are dumb. Liberty wasn’t his dream job. It was the only head coaching job offered. Of course he will take HC over OC.

VN Store

Back