So who do you hire?

Why she failed at NC State and the team she is coaching right now is not that good

Way back when Kellie first went to NC State, I heard persistent chatter that there were powerful forces who were bound and determined to resent her, dislike her, ostracize her, and were actively sabotaging her every chance they got. Many fans wanted her to fail because they felt deeply betrayed by the AD for having hired a young upstart instead of the coach that Kay Yow had hoped would replace her: Stephanie Glance.

So the community never embraced Kellie, and she never got a chance to be her best self there.

Now, I didn't live in the area and so didn't see any of this happening myself, but usually if ugly chatter starts before a coach even gets through one season, then that usually means that people were going to be unhappy no matter WHAT happened.

Anyway, I guess I'm sharing this because, knowing how things went down for Kellie up there, I consider those years an anomaly.

Last edited:
Way back when Kellie first went to NC State, I heard persistent chatter that there were powerful forces who were bound and determined to resent her, dislike her, ostracize her, and were actively sabotaging her every chance they got. The community never embraced Kellie, and she never got a chance to be her best self there.

Now, I didn't live in the area and so didn't see any of this happening myself, but usually if ugly chatter starts before a coach even gets to through one season, then that usually means that people were going to be unhappy no matter WHAT happened.

Anyway, I guess I'm sharing this because, knowing how things went down for Kellie up there, I consider those years an anomaly.

Much is learned after the maturing process begins
After a while you quit trying to figure out how to win games and start addressing your weaknesses and making improvements in them
ergo
winning

The team she coaches right now is 23 and 9 and beat 21st ranked Drake in their conference championship game yesterday.

if they played in a better conference the ACC, SEC, BIG 12 , or Pac 12 how many game do they win ?

if they played in a better conference the ACC, SEC, BIG 12 , or Pac 12 how many game do they win ?
I have no clue but that isn't a fair comparison. She isn't going to get the same type of talent at Missouri St as she would at Tennessee. She has done a good job against teams that have comparable talent as she does now.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I have no clue but that isn't a fair comparison. She isn't going to get the same type of talent at Missouri St as she would at Tennessee. She has done a good job against teams that have comparable talent as she does now.

This is very true
it comes down to what a coach can do with what they get
I run a hi-post with a Pt-Fwd and D up with a one-step in-half-court trap
I'd love to run it with this level of players

I am sure she (Jolly Harper) feels the same way
would love to run her successful setups with elite athletes and MDAA BB players

Kellie Jolly Harper would make a lot of sense as the next head coach.

1552939133486.png

No thanks, I'll pass. She has had SOME success, but not much. There may have been some other things in play at NC State, but she has basically had double digit losses in every season as a head coach. She has also never been beyond the second round of any post season tournament NCAA or WNIT. That's what we're trying to avoid when we replace Holly.

Vic isn’t leaving Ms. State to go anywhere. He has created something special in Starkville that is rarely seen anywhere. He’s getting top rated high school players as well as fabulous transfer players. Besides, he’s too old to be rebuilding a failing Tennessee program. Give the job to one of the great up and coming female coaches available. The list is almost endless!!
I agree with your comments about Schaefer. However, I disagree strongly with your comments that the LVs are a failing program. They have as much talent as any SEC team. Unfortunately, they have a very poor head coach who does not know how to utilize the available talent. Also, she has deluded herself into believing she is a good coach and will not step down. Phil Fulmer needs to fire Holly and hire the best head coach who is willing to take the job, male or female. Mark Campbell of Union University is a good candidate if he is willing to take the job.

Reactions: Bighairlol
View attachment 198287

No thanks, I'll pass. She has had SOME success, but not much. There may have been some other things are play at NC State, but she has basically had double digit losses in every season as a head coach. She has also never been beyond the second round of any post season tournament NCAA or WNIT. That's what we're trying to avoid when we replace Holly.
Well I don't think we will pay enough to steal a top coach away from their current school. And as much as people on here want Holly gone, there will be some pushback if we force Holly out. Hiring Kellie would help ease things over and could be had for the price range that we are probably willing to spend. Would she be my top choice?.....no she wouldn't. But I said she would make sense and not that she would be the best possible candidate.

Well I don't think we will pay enough to steal a top coach away from their current school. And as much as people on here want Holly gone, there will be some pushback if we force Holly out. Hiring Kellie would help ease things over and could be had for the price range that we are probably willing to spend. Would she be my top choice?.....no she wouldn't. But I said she would make sense and not that she would be the best possible candidate.

She may cost less initially, but if she can't win any better than Holly can she'll cost more in the long run. Either in lost ticket sales, or a buyout.

Reactions: OldNSlow
View attachment 198287

No thanks, I'll pass. She has had SOME success, but not much. There may have been some other things in play at NC State, but she has basically had double digit losses in every season as a head coach. She has also never been beyond the second round of any post season tournament NCAA or WNIT. That's what we're trying to avoid when we replace Holly.

That`s my point her record is not all that ,Everyone talking about giving the Job to Kellie Jolly if that`s the case why not give Bridgette C. Gordon a shot at coaching the the team. Yes she is the head assistant coach but we all see how different she deals with the players then Holly and i`m sure she disagree with the way Holly coaches. If Tenn do make a coaching change i would like to also see a fair coaching process .

So, you think replacing Holly with someone who objectively has had less coaching success and a far worse W-L record would smooth things over?

The next coach probably will be someone on the rise rather than established name, assuming that Fulmer does play it cheap.

But you want this person to be associated with a team that is trending upward. Harper, a great LV player, seems to have track record of mediocrity. We have that already.

That`s my point her record is not all that ,Everyone talking about giving the Job to Kellie Jolly if that`s the case why not give Bridgette C. Gordon a shot at coaching the the team. Yes she is the head assistant coach but we all see how different she deals with the players then Holly and i`m sure she disagree with the way Holly coaches. If Tenn do make a coaching change i would like to also see a fair coaching process .
What is Gordon's record as a head coach? You do remember that hiring the top assistant on the staff as the head coach is how we got into this situation right?

So, you think replacing Holly with someone who objectively has had less coaching success and a far worse W-L record would smooth things over?

The next coach probably will be someone on the rise rather than established name, assuming that Fulmer does play it cheap.

But you want this person to be associated with a team that is trending upward. Harper, a great LV player, seems to have track record of mediocrity. We have that already.
It would smooth things over in the sense that their will be people mad that we pushed out someone who has been a part of the program for so long as a player and a coach. I would like to see what Kelly could at a place like Tennesse with the support and resources that she would have here.

It would smooth things over in the sense that their will be people mad that we pushed out someone who has been a part of the program for so long as a player and a coach. I would like to see what Kelly could at a place like Tennesse with the support and resources that she would have here.

Holly is not being "pushed out." She has objectively performed poorly as a coach and under her watch a once elite team has been trending downward for 4 years. The vast majority of the sports media and the fan base are desperate for a change.

There is no major PR problem that has to be managed when Holly is replaced. (Two years ago and even last year, I would have agreed with this view). As it now stands, Holly burned up the capital she had accrued from her earlier successes and her high ranked recruiting classes.

So, the key part of your statement is that YOU would like see Harper as the coach. More power to you but no need to wrap your personal desire in some grand rationale that Harper is needed to keep the fan base from rioting over Holly's dismissal. When that happens, the reaction will be more like dancing in the street.

Last edited:
What is Gordon's record as a head coach? You do remember that hiring the top assistant on the staff as the head coach is how we got into this situation right?

She deserve a shot at a head coaching job and she was not on the staff when Holly was giving the job Just like Kaya Elzy at KY.

Holly is not being "pushed out." She has objectively performed poorly as a coach and under her watch a once elite has been trending downward for 4 years. The vast majority of media and the fan base are desperate for a change.

There is no major PR problem that has to be managed when Holly is replaced. (Two years ago and even last year, I would have agreed with this view). As it now stands, Holly burned up the capital she had accrued from her earlier successes and her high ranked recruiting classes.

So, the key part of your statement is that YOU would like see Harper as the coach. More power to you but no need to wrap your personal desire in some grand rationale that Harper is need to keep the fan base from rioting over Holly's dismissal. When that happens, the reaction will be more like dancing in the street.
Holly still has her supporters within the athletic department. Also my top 2 choices would be Jeff Waltz and Wes Moore but were not going to pay enough to steal those guys away.

Honestly I'd rather see us go outside the family. I'd make Wes Moore say no. If we cant get him, get someone who's a young up and comer who's hungry and is a grinder. This notion that it HAS to be a former Vol is casting too narrow of a net.
I don't think it has to be a former Lady Vol, I just said Kelly Harper based on how much I think we are willing to spend and my feeling that there will people with influence within the athletic department that will want to keep it in the family.

It’ll be an up and comer. We do not go after top coaches. Never have. We are not one of big boys.
I think Tennessee would go after Katie Meier or Wes Moore if lets say UConn totally annihilates Tennessee in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament and Holly decides to retire.

Reactions: JohnTN

VN Store

Back