So what was pruitt to do......

all you arm chair guys?

Covid shortened the off season so a true competition at QB could not exists
Maurer had mental health issues in Jan and hamstring issues. Plus he can't read a defense
JT Shrout would've been the only logical choice, but nobody except myself and maybe one other even considered it.
Bailey....again, shortened time so well below normal time for work and never played a down in the SEC vs an all SEC schedule

Pruitt was stuck! What chaney could've done to help was simplified the offense, quicker plays.....then see who rises from that, but it all is a long shot. Mullen has made a heisman contender out of trask of simplicity. why cant chaney?
Pruitt hired Chaney, ie, it is Pruitts baby.

its not a defense. it's asking what would u have done different given the circumstances
Since Shrout got the most reps behind JG and we all had a crystal ball the JT Shrout should have been the starting QB. Everyone, media included expected JG to be better and improved. Maybe he was in practice but that doesn't carry over to actually live game reps and as a result this offensive staff should be somewhat humbled. JG had more experience reading defenses and that's the only reason UT went with him. The coaching staff, in hindsight, should have fast-tracked all 3 of the other QB's on reading defenses because all 3 run better than JG. All 3 have better field vision and they throw the ball better too. End result : Staff looks like a bunch of over-paid dumb-azzes !

Reactions: Big Al Orange
its not a defense. it's asking what would u have done different given the circumstances
Isn't it impossible to offer anything other than a guess as no one here is privy to necessary details.
Priutt's paid millions to captain the ship. He doesn't need to know how to do everything thing but he is accountable for making sure it does get done.

Only casual fans saw the winning streak, against less than tough schedule, as a pattern, no? Especially after the historically bad start.

Reactions: GoBears
all you arm chair guys?

Maurer had mental health issues in Jan and hamstring issues. Plus he can't read a defense
JT Shrout would've been the only logical choice, but nobody except myself and maybe one other even considered it.
Bailey....again, shortened time so well below normal time for work and never played a down in the SEC vs an all SEC schedule

Pruitt was stuck! What chaney could've done to help was simplified the offense, quicker plays.....then see who rises from that, but it all is a long shot. Mullen has made a heisman contender out of trask of simplicity. why cant chaney?

I'm confused. Does Pruitt report to Chaney? Did I miss something? How can you blame Chaney without holding Pruitt accountable? Are we also to believe that Pruitt was the only coach in college football that's had to deal with Covid related roster issues? How did the past 6 teams that whipped our azz by double digits handle it?

all you arm chair guys?

He wasn’t stuck after Alabama. Bailey should have been the guy immediately thereafter.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I don't think it did. When Bailey committed I think Pruitt thought JG could hold down the fort until HB was ready. Things fell apart and Pruitt has now made the decision to go with the blue chip FR quarterback that he recruited here for the exact reason to be QB1. The NegaVols would have crushed Pruitt had he brought in Franks to replace JG as they are pretty much exactly the same when it comes to QB player ratings.

Except they weren't comparable or Arkansas has much better coaches - Let's see Franks --- 11 th best qb rating in the country 17 td passes averaging 252 ypg passing on a team that mostly ran it last season.
Our best chance to win ...... 66 th best qb rating in the country 6 td passes 4 interceptions, 5 fumbles averaging 159 ypg passing. It didn't have to be Franks - but anything would have been better, including most or all of the guys on the bench - that never got practice time.

"66 th best qb rating in the country - in 7 games - 6 td passes 4 interceptions, 5 fumbles averaging 159 ypg passing completing 62 % of his passes. " Quite a few of his completed passes were virtual handoffs.

To win games in a highly competitive SEC - you can't have the 66th best quarterback among 84 quarterbacks in the country and compete with the top tier of the SEC.
SEC quarterback rankings - 1, 3, 4, 11, 18, 29, 38 and the rest.

If Pruitt is claimed to be a defensive guru then he should have taught his LBs the basics of covering a simple slant pass.
If Pruitt is claimed to be a defensive guru then he should have taught his LBs the basics of covering a simple slant pass.
I will explain this again. The real issue with the slant passes is not the players poor coverage skill per say or that they are not being taught correctly but its the lack of pass rush. When the lb's are blitzing it creates space behind them and if you don't get to the qb immediately the slant is going to be there for the taking. We need to get a pass rush just bringing 4 and the slants will be taken care of. But it is not like CJP can go down to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple of dominant edge rushers. It takes time to make them.

Except they weren't comparable or Arkansas has much better coaches - Let's see Franks --- 11 th best qb rating in the country 17 td passes averaging 252 ypg passing on a team that mostly ran it last season.
Our best chance to win ...... 66 th best qb rating in the country 6 td passes 4 interceptions, 5 fumbles averaging 159 ypg passing. It didn't have to be Franks - but anything would have been better, including most or all of the guys on the bench - that never got practice time.

"66 th best qb rating in the country - in 7 games - 6 td passes 4 interceptions, 5 fumbles averaging 159 ypg passing completing 62 % of his passes. " Quite a few of his completed passes were virtual handoffs.

To win games in a highly competitive SEC - you can't have the 66th best quarterback among 84 quarterbacks in the country and compete with the top tier of the SEC.
SEC quarterback rankings - 1, 3, 4, 11, 18, 29, 38 and the rest.
Don't show me his Arkansas numbers, why do they matter in what I said? Franks and JG were basically the same QBs when Franks went down to injury at FL. The NegaVols would have ripped Pruitt to shreds had Franks been the transfer portal QB we went after. What he's done this year hasn't happened yet in what I said. Go back and pull their numbers side by side up to when Franks got hurt, you'll find out they are very similar, JG will probably rank ahead of Franks in several categories in the way I said. I'm well aware of what it takes to win games in the SEC, you maybe should not get into a debate with evidence that has no bearing on said debate.

Two spots ahead of our starting qb most of the year we find with the 64th best rated qb - Penn State. How is that working out for those guys ?

I will explain this again. The real issue with the slant passes is not the players poor coverage skill per say or that they are not being taught correctly but its the lack of pass rush. When the lb's are blitzing it creates space behind them and if you don't get to the qb immediately the slant is going to be there for the taking. We need to get a pass rush just bringing 4 and the slants will be taken care of. But it is not like CJP can go down to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple of dominant edge rushers. It takes time to make them.
Safety play has been most disappointing to me, really thought a couple of those guys would have good seasons.

Yeah, this stat line was a massive liability:

Jarrett Guarantano 18/31 221 yards 7.1 ypa 0TD 2INT

None of what JG did this year was new. This year's JG is an indictment of the coaching staff's inability to either get JG to progress or find a better alternative.

Not just the stat line, but JG went two whole quarters in between completing forward passes. Two quarters with only a -1 yard "completion", but during that time he threw two INTs and took a ridiculous sack.

That's why it bothers me so bad when people claim JG led the team on a winning streak. He most certainly did not. Erik Gray singlehandedly took that embarrassingly bad bowl loss and turned it into a win on sheer force of will.

Reactions: GoBears
all you arm chair guys?

Not look and act like a dullard who lost 6 games in a row. One of them Kentucky by double digits

Wanna bet?
arkansasslant.png

Watch it in real time here at 2:12:

Don't show me his Arkansas numbers, why do they matter in what I said? Franks and JG were basically the same QBs when Franks went down to injury at FL. The NegaVols would have ripped Pruitt to shreds had Franks been the transfer portal QB we went after. What he's done this year hasn't happened yet in what I said. Go back and pull their numbers side by side up to when Franks got hurt, you'll find out they are very similar, JG will probably rank ahead of Franks in several categories in the way I said. I'm well aware of what it takes to win games in the SEC, you maybe should not get into a debate with evidence that has no bearing on said debate.

It's not so much who didn't play - it's who did play and we constantly got to hear how pick six gave us the best and only chance to win. We will see what the young guys can do over the next couple of weeks hopefully. I think Arkansas, Ole Miss and Missouri found qb's who transferred in. Georgia also picked up two really good qb's in the transfer portal, LSU and others perhaps - I don't track the transfer portal, but I did track number 2 shooting his arrows and Pruitt constantly guarateeing that he gave us the best chance of winning.

I agree. I still think the major issue is lack of pass rush. We are forced into a lot of man coverage and having to cover recievers too long.
The secondary got killed by everything this season, our best 2 DBs, both NFL prospects have had to play through injury all season, Shamburger was a no show and the safeties just haven't lived up. The combination of all of that quickly turned one of our strongest units into one of the weakest. I hope they all come back healthy next year. Would not shock me if Taylor and Thompson declare for the draft even though I think both would benefit in returning. I agree about pressure up front, we've struggled and we've lost our best disruptor in Bennett, hated to lose him as I was always a fan of his motor. We don't seem to have many guys on the defensive side with "motor" outside of HenryT and Thompson, I think Alontae has it he's just not healthy this year it seems.

It's not so much who didn't play - it's who did play and we constantly got to hear how pick six gave us the best and only chance to win. We will see what the young guys can do over the next couple of weeks hopefully. I think Arkansas, Ole Miss and Missouri found qb's who transferred in. Georgia also picked up two really good qb's in the transfer portal, LSU and others perhaps - I don't track the transfer portal, but I did track number 2 shooting his arrows and Pruitt constantly guarateeing that he gave us the best chance of winning.
You're the one who brought up Franks wanted to come here. I told you the fans would chew JP apart if he came here as at that time he was the same as JG. You have now comeback twice with 2 things that have nothing to do with the other.

Most of the plays that have been big slant plays is a linebacker in coverage.
I honestly don’t ever remember LB’s being out of position, on a more consistent basis than ours are.
It’s so hard to watch, I honestly think I could catch a slant passes against this group, if given the opportunity. Ok, I wouldn’t catch one single pass and would get broken in half while trying, but you get the point.
GBO!!

You're the one who brought up Franks wanted to come here. I told you the fans would chew JP apart if he came here as at that time he was the same as JG. You have now comeback twice with 2 things that have nothing to do with the other.
Yea - nothing of the kind - seems like you are trying to defend Pruitt - since the fans didn’t chew him up with the transfer from Maryland doubt people would have had any issue with Franks. You can make a case that Frank’s wouldn’t have been given a chance to unseat pick six - based on Pruitt’s handling of our other qb’s. So he needed to do something other than puts all his chips on JG.

all you arm chair guys?

haha, are you really blaming Chaney? What about the defense of woes, what is your excuse for them? Isn't that JP specialty? JP isn't the only HC to have a shortened off season. Why was Lane Kiffen able to make Ole Miss contenders of sorts, facing the same situation but implementing a completely new offense with new staff. Sorry but JP is to blame. I suspect you believe his firing of the D-Line coach in front of the whole team was a good move too?

VN Store

Back