So what is the SEC’s National Championship dominance now?

NighthawkVol

Someone posted this earlier. Now that LSU has won it all, is that 13 out of 25? And an SEC team has played in even more? Anyone know the numbers?

12 of 22 since the BCS era.

Hell the only teams outside of the south that have won it are OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and USCw.

I was divided. I like LSU more than most other SEC teams. A strong LSU is not always bad for UT. It is generally very bad for Ole Miss, TAM, MSU, Aub, and Bama.

But they're still an SEC rival that could stand in UT's way at some point. Clemson OTOH recruits the same areas UT does. Perhaps even more than UGA, UF, Bama, Aub, etc... UT will need to compete with Clemson to get the players needed to win championships.

I guess on the whole it is good LSU won from a UT standpoint.

12 of 22 since the BCS era.

Hell the only teams outside of the south that have won it are OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and USCw.
Really, the only teams outside of the southern part of the country (I agree that Texas and Oklahoma aren't necessarily "The South") are Ohio St and USC.

The only consistently good program (defined as being in the mix consistently for national titles) outside of the southern part of the country right now is Ohio St.

An SEC team has played for the national title 15 of the 22 years since the BCS was created. And won 12 of the 15.

And there are no signs that the dominance will ease up any time soon. Clemson and Ohio State will stick around at the elite peak of the college game, but every other team up there wear SEC logos on their jerseys.

Go Vols!

An SEC team has played for the national title 15 of the 22 years since the BCS was created. And won 12 of the 15.

And there are no signs that the dominance will ease up any time soon. Clemson and Ohio State will stick around at the elite peak of the college game, but every other team up there wear SEC logos on their jerseys.

Go Vols!
There was a brief moment a few years ago when it looked like the SEC's dominance was being seriously challenged. Florida St and Ohio St won titles in 2013 and 2014, breaking the SEC's streak of national titles. Michigan hired Harbaugh, Dantonio was rolling at Michigan St, James Franklin was in the process of turning Penn St around, Wisconsin was underrated and scrappy as always, and of course Ohio St had Urban. Meanwhile Saban appeared to be hollowing out the SEC - Richt was being Richt at Georgia, Florida was struggling under Muschamp/McElwain, Tennessee had Dooley/Butch ('nuff said), Les Miles was underwhelming at LSU, Gus was inconsistent as always at Auburn, and Sumlin couldn't get over the 8-5 hump at A&M. It was a real debate to who the second best coach in the conference was...you could argue Mullen, Freeze, or Gus.

Today, all of those aforementioned SEC schools except Auburn appear to have received coaching upgrades. The conference appears to be trending in a direction where it won't be "only" Alabama anymore...LSU just won a title, Georgia played for a title a couple years ago and has made 3 SECCGs in a row, and Florida is back to 10-win seasons and looks primed for more. Jimbo has been underwhelming at A&M thus far but is undoubtedly an upgrade over Sumlin. Even the Mississippi schools just hired coaches that are great at pulling upsets and being thorns in people's sides.

I have no love for Auburn, and I was pleased for Minnie's resurgence under Fleck (after all, UT is 1-0 vs Minnie, we can be charitable). Miss State's loss to L'ville was a symptom of that programs doldrums. I had thought the Cowbells' D to be stout enough to stifle the Louies, allowing them to score just enough for victory. Alas, they disappointed.

I see LSU's team as being a convergence. Let all of Louisiana celebrate with LSU's fans. Let them bask in the glory of Les Tigres' extraordinary accomplishment. May they never lose their underdog identity. May they never entertain expectations of dynasty, for this would be their undoing, and too soon we will be bereft of Coach Orgeron's rightful tenure atop Louisiana's premier program. The man is entertaining. He's a southern Louisianan. He's one of a kind. Let him have success through the next decade and beyond, but lose more than he wins against our own Volunteers.

Even with Lucifer's Vessel as Head Coach, Bama is past the apex of it's prowess and success. Bammers are such nut jobs, things will get very dicey if Saban goes too many years without a championship. Some twisted Crimsonite could attempt to assassinate him. Exit on top, Nick. Start your nex career as an analyst and pitchman. Move out of the state. Bammers' love for you will sour when your antecessor fails to deliver your level of success. It won't be safe for you in Alabama.

There was a brief moment a few years ago when it looked like the SEC's dominance was being seriously challenged. Florida St and Ohio St won titles in 2013 and 2014, breaking the SEC's streak of national titles.

You forget that Auburn had FSU beat in that 2013 NC game....if their CBs tackle the receiver after a 8 yard pass on FSU's final drive...Auburn wins that game!

OSU won when Elliott ran over and thru Bama's defense...But-----
Kiffin kept throwing the ball when Bama was driving with a 21-6 lead in the 2nd QTR of that game...in the Sugar Bowl....
All Bama had to do to win was keep pounding the rock with Henry and throw some play action to keep that lead....

The SEC has basically dominated the scene ever since the BCS was developed in an attempt to get an actual instead of a mythical NC.

We saw some major push-back on that FACT this year by the committee and polls when they dropped both Auburn and Bama out of the top 10 at the end of the year....and then we watched the committee get embarrassed by their rankings during the Bowls when the SEC dominated Bowl season....

OK, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, ND, Baylor----all would have at least 3 losses if they had played in the SEC.....

Really, the only teams outside of the southern part of the country (I agree that Texas and Oklahoma aren't necessarily "The South") are Ohio St and USC.

The only consistently good program (defined as being in the mix consistently for national titles) outside of the southern part of the country right now is Ohio St.
Oklahoma is always in the mix

Even with Lucifer's Vessel as Head Coach, Bama is past the apex of it's prowess and success. Bammers are such nut jobs, things will get very dicey if Saban goes too many years without a championship. Some twisted Crimsonite could attempt to assassinate him. Exit on top, Nick. Start your nex career as an analyst and pitchman. Move out of the state. Bammers' love for you will sour when your antecessor fails to deliver your level of success. It won't be safe for you in Alabama.
Nick will never be a good analyst. He's a miserable human being and he can't hide it. He does not like people or being around them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'll go Florida vs Clemson
UF will not beat the SECw team in the SECC game, if they make it that far. They have @UT, UGA (@ J'ville), and LSU before they get that far. They could lose all three of those. Not likely they will win 2 of those three AND the SECC game.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
UF will not beat the SECw team in the SECC game, if they make it that far. They have @UT, UGA (@ J'ville), and LSU before they get that far. They could lose all three of those. Not likely they will win 2 of those three AND the SECC game.
Agree to disagree

VN Store

Back