So let me get this straight..

You weren't impressed with his flinching and turning his back in anticipation of contact?
But he also stiffed armed someone to the ground.
Coach is going to have to tell him, man you're 6'5 25lb, run them over or slide but don't you dare cover up and act like you're scared to take a hit.

Reactions: tbh and posivol
Hooker & Bailey isn’t able to beat out Milton for the starting QB position on a bad team yet, Heupel is supposed to bench Milton to play the other QB’s that’s not as good as him?

Do you really think Heupel is that stupid or some of you are really that narrowed minded?
Some guys do not perform well in games. If JG didn't teach us that... then we have some real problems.

I'm not giving up on Milton but he needs to get his head out. He has to see and anticipate receivers breaking open. He has to get the ball out quicker which means he has to make good presnap reads and good, quick decisions with the ball.

What he didn't do well last night... is a strength for the other two. They don't have his physical talent but in just his brief appearance Hooker demonstrated that he had not forgotten what he practiced. He followed through with his throw fake on RPO's. I didn't see Milton do that once.

It was very obvious to me that Heupel did not see Milton perform the way he thought he would based on practice. So no, he's not stupid at all. That doesn't mean that Milton is the right guy. Many critical decisions are made based on the best available information and have to be changed later.

Hooker & Bailey isn’t able to beat out Milton for the starting QB position on a bad team yet, Heupel is supposed to bench Milton to play the other QB’s that’s not as good as him?

Do you really think Heupel is that stupid or some of you are really that narrowed minded?
Personally, first game, new system, new coaches, ect, ect. On TV, the system for me showed alot of what's trying to be accomplished. The lanes, we put them in because of running attach, but you have to respect the short routes which was accomplished. Running at will with this system will be the bread and butter. It obvious as they made adjustments in knowing milton wont hit the deep one. Play calling will be adjusted, but that offense will score. The defense, on the other hand, was surprising. Always playing on there side of the ball. Aggressive, and shedding blocks. Someone was always coming free. Was it Al Wilson an Company, No! Entertaining, Yes!

Reactions: arkivol
But we have 3 better than JG.

Crazy how the dialogue/opinions changed after the first two drives...went to hell in a hand basket real quick. Though there’s always drops, those two drops by Hyatt were drive killers. It appears this offense works great when it’s in sync, but a real issue when you get behind the sticks...

Last night Milton didn't show he was any better than JG at all. I think JG would have put on a better show in the passing game.

WHAT WE LEARNED---From Las Vegas.
Tennessee is not good. They will get rolled by almost every team they play in the SEC. Their Michigan transfer at QB will lead them nowhere. I love Heupel because I am a life long OU fan but he is going to have a rough year or 3 and be out of a job. They ran the ball well but were 7-15 on 3rd down and 1-3 on 4th down. They will not be able to run like this against the SEC.

You're right. Cancel the season, on to basketball

Reactions: DeltaVol05
Some guys do not perform well in games. If JG didn't teach us that... then we have some real problems.

I'm not giving up on Milton but he needs to get his head out. He has to see and anticipate receivers breaking open. He has to get the ball out quicker which means he has to make good presnap reads and good, quick decisions with the ball.

What he didn't do well last night... is a strength for the other two. They don't have his physical talent but in just his brief appearance Hooker demonstrated that he had not forgotten what he practiced. He followed through with his throw fake on RPO's. I didn't see Milton do that once.

It was very obvious to me that Heupel did not see Milton perform the way he thought he would based on practice. So no, he's not stupid at all. That doesn't mean that Milton is the right guy. Many critical decisions are made based on the best available information and have to be changed later.

Good post. Agree with all of that

Reactions: arkivol and sjt18

Dayum! You musta drank the tavern dry. Hope you are rehydrating while you type.

Reactions: Chippo
The only thing that surprised me is that Milton is not the athlete that I was expecting.

He does not look like a dynamic runner at all
Agree. He's soft. Just laid over when getting tackled. I knew we didn't have the horses to compete for one of the top 3 spots in the SEC East, but sure thought we'd be more exciting throwing the ball "all over the field" as we were told in spring and fall camp. Last night looked like the same old movie to me.

Reactions: posivol
Last night Milton didn't show he was any better than JG at all. I think JG would have put on a better show in the passing game.

hog, you should be on the stage of a comedy club. I'd make a fortune setting eggs and tomatoes to the crowd.

We have no way of knowing if Heupel is stupid or not (personally I don’t think he is). We will know after a couple of more games. We all know how a quarterback can play lights out in practice but fold like an accordion under the game lights (man do we EVER know that). The key is where do we go from here. Time well tell

I remember coaches saying JG was by far the best according to practice, and we all know how that was. I'm pulling for Milton, but now I'm worried those Michigan fans were right, cause they said what we saw. Dominating in practice, great leader, and couldn't get it done in a game. That may not be, he may do great after last night, but you can't be angry because it makes us wonder.

The only thing that surprised me is that Milton is not the athlete that I was expecting.

He does not look like a dynamic runner at all

Not in the least.

Saw that in the limited action I watched of him at Michigan as well.

Statuesque may look great in pads on the sidelines but it is a recipe for getting lit up with the defensive speed in this conference.

That fumble showed a lack of awareness and a lack of athleticism.

We don’t. Milton was promised the job and got it. The other two never had a real shot.
I don’t think that’s what happened based on practice reports. We were warned by Michigan fans that Milton is a practice warrior just like JG. It sounds like Heupel didn’t get what he expected last night, so it will either get corrected in the next few games or Milton will get benched.

Milton couldn't hold the starting job for Michigan. What made anyone think he was going to drastically change just because he is wearing orange and white? All summer long Michigan fans have been telling us they wish the best for him but he has all of the issues he displayed last night. Why would they lie? We would have honestly been better off lining Evans up at QB. With Milton we have no down field passing game threat and we will get destroyed in the SEC because other teams know it. JH better figure it out.

Reactions: mpfvol
Ditto, agree completely. I think Bailey to get passed by Hooker and Milton shows me that he doesn’t get it.
The coaches have alluded to this indirectly. 2 or 3 weeks ago, one of the assistant coaches was praising each of the three qbs, and his main praise for Harrison was that he was starting to grasp the offense better. This leads me to believe that Bailey's biggest hurdle is mental, not physical as is often assumed.

Well the truth is we really don’t know who’s best and neither does heupel. He’s seen more of them than we have but he’s no psychic. He doesn’t know how well Milton will read defenses etc.
I believed going into the summer that Bailey would be the most accurate passer we have on the roster. Amd after watching him play in a horrific offense last year under pruitt and comparing that to what we saw last night out of Milton…I still believe that to be true.

Last edited:
Yep, that's just about the size of it. (Hoople's) reputation is at stake; so He had to keep his word. And, a Coach usually wants his Own Players. Coaching quirks.
Hoople? What is the origin of that?

If you are taking a jab at the way Heupel pronounces his name, it would be closer to pronounce it like HOY-pail to mimic how it would sound in German.

VN Store

Back