So is there anything to even be excited about this fall?

Ppl don’t realize a good Qb can make you look better than you are and a bad one can make you look worse... if you put Dobbs on last years team we may win the East... Tennessee is not as bad as it seems... if we can get some good Qb play that helps the defense one by giving them cushion to make mistakes and 2 by allowing them to play hard and know that the Qb won’t give the game away... Pruitt left the roster better than he found it and we can make some noise... I’m most concerned about LB play as we are very thin there but we can compete well enough to win 7 or 8 games easily...

LOL ain't that the truth! You can always predict the pattern of discussion on here from game to game each season as well.

Games 1 & 2: In most years, we play lesser opponents and we win these games but don't look particularly great in doing so. The chatter on here typically amounts to "Well we were playing conservative and we didn't want to put much on film for Florida to study. We're saving our playbook for them."

Game 3: Usually this is the Florida game and usually we lose. Followed by disappointment, followed by questions about our QB, followed by questions about why our coach started that particular QB. Followed by "well we have a lot of football to play and can still have a good season."

Game 4: We usually play another lesser opponent in this slot and look pretty good, which gives everyone a false sense of security and a skewed view on how good we actually are. At this point we're thinking we could "make some noise" in the SEC and have a pretty good year.

Games 5-9: So this is usually the meat of our SEC schedule, playing Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, our rotating west opponent, and either KY or Mizzou. This typically is the "nut cutting" portion of our schedule where we really know who we are and...it's usually a disappointment. Lately we come out of this stretch at either 2-3 or 1-4 and this is when we start questioning our coaching staff and wondering if the coach needs to fire the O-coordinator or D-coordinator. Usually we are also screaming for a QB change, regardless of whether the back ups are actually better or not. By now our record is right around 4-6 or 5-5 and talking about how vital it is to win 1 or two more games to get to a minor bowl for extra practices for the team and look better to recruits. After all, we are always "building for the future" and "we have to be patient." This is also the point in the season where recruits start peeling off and we start sliding in the rankings.

Game 10: Typically this is another lesser opponent. I've seen this one go both ways. We either blow them out completely or we come in looking flat and barely scrape out a win. Either way, we're still feeling about the same towards the team from the previous week. Good to get the win but no indicator whatsoever about the team.

Games 11 & 12: In years past these were KY and Vanderbilt, though it's also been Mizzou and Vanderbilt. Here lately it's rare that we get 2 wins from this stretch. Typically we split it 1-1 but we've also gone 0-2 and wound up 5-7 and missing yet another bowl appearance. By this time we are talking about how the coach "is not the guy" and our administration should just go ahead, pull the trigger, and fire him so we can move on.

So to sum it all up. Most seasons start out with hopes of winning the east and ends in wanting a coaching search.

Spot on.

Reactions: Vfl2407
So you can tell me with a serious face that you have enjoyed seeing Tennessee railroaded year in and year out by most of the SEC?
If are a Tennessee fan, you take the bad with the good. I know we have not had a lot to happy about, as a fan, I always look forward to each year and find something to enjoy. This year we have a very good new AD and a new coach who has put a lot of points on the board. The defense is a question mark but maybe we will outscore 6-8 teams this Fall. 2020 was a disaster year for almost everything On this Planet, soI look forward to 2021.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'm excited about the season. I have zero expectations. I can't wait to see who starts at QB, and what the new O looks like. I'm also curious to see what JG does at Wa.St.

i always look at the ALL SEC Team pre season forecasts.
if we dont have anyone on the first, second, or third teams, I downgrade any previous optimism.

Very much am looking forward to this fall. That's one thing about college football, new guys emerge every year. And older ones get stronger and wiser.

I’m thinking Dooley era. Exciting offense and lots of heartache.
Hopefully we end up in a better spot than we did with Dooley.

It seems like the Football program is a train wreck right now.

This isn't a dig at the coach or players (what players we have retained) as the issues pre-date them. I just don't see Tennessee capable of fielding a very good team with so many defections and impending sanctions. This program is a real mess right now and it is going to be hard to watch or enjoy them as a fan.
If they can put up points it will help create excitement And vision of where we are going. Can’t afford more false starts. If we get the same old “it’s a process” 3-5 year plan that becomes a really tough sell when we are facing NCAA penalties...in which case JH will be getting the big orange tradition payout in a few years. Have a feeling that he’s got the chops for it.

There was already a "gloom and despair" thread.

A couple of things and then I will leave you to your wallowing.

One, the roster isn't as bad as you think. There's talent where there isn't experience and experience where there isn't talent. The primary concerns are LB and CB. This isn't a roster that we should expect to challenge for the East. It isn't a roster devoid of talent either. There are 4 almost built in wins. There are 5 games vs UK, Ole Miss, Pitt, Mizzou, and USCe where UT even with the roster concerns are in roughly equal shape. How many of those games are won comes down to coaching.

Two, you see a "mess" because of the public stuff but really none of us know what's going on inside the locker room... where it really matters. Heupel has focused on developing team unity. Some guys will gravitate to it... some guys will find the door. That could leave some gaps. Probably will. It will also produce a team that will sacrifice for each other. Maybe a RB who decides that the team needs him more at LB or a receiver who can play safety.

Right now Heupel is trying to piece together what he has. In some areas... he has a lot to work with. In some areas not so much. But how about we save the "woes" until he's done what he can?
Agree. If all you can do is whine, keep your fingers off the keypad.

Excited..??? WTF are you thinking..??
It's FOOTBALL TIME in Tennessee...!!!!!!
If that's not enough to excite you, you're in the wrong place.
GBO..!!

Agree this is what we need but I won't be surprised if we go 3-9 and the offense looks like keystone cops with penalties, turnovers and blown plays. Fully expecting to be here a year from now reading a board full of posts about how CJH has to get his guys and fully root out bad culture of prior regime. That would follow the pattern of discussion on our last few hires.
Any different from you would create a rash of heart attacks on the board....

So you are saying that UT will go 0-8 in the conference, correct? Vandy with a new coach and much worse talent than UT will win. USCe with less talent and no less a mess will beat UT. Pitt a middling ACC team playing Pruitt-ball is an insurmountable opponent?

LOL ain't that the truth! You can always predict the pattern of discussion on here from game to game each season as well.

Games 1 & 2: In most years, we play lesser opponents and we win these games but don't look particularly great in doing so. The chatter on here typically amounts to "Well we were playing conservative and we didn't want to put much on film for Florida to study. We're saving our playbook for them."
That is something pretty consistent. When UT is headed in the right direction... the Vols will play "vanilla in those early season cupcake games and still win by 40+ points.

Well coached teams do not show their whole playbook against an early season FCS opponent. But they run enough of their playbook to get player skills on film.

Usually this is the Florida game and usually we lose. Followed by disappointment, followed by questions about our QB, followed by questions about why our coach started that particular QB. Followed by "well we have a lot of football to play and can still have a good season."
QB play has been awful for the last 4 years. Disappointing doesn't even begin to describe it. There were completely legitimate questions about Pruitt's wisdom in sticking with JG.

That was not the case with Dobbs or Bray or even Crompton. So you are rehashing the JG thing, right?

We usually play another lesser opponent in this slot and look pretty good, which gives everyone a false sense of security and a skewed view on how good we actually are. At this point we're thinking we could "make some noise" in the SEC and have a pretty good year.
Yeah... how dare fans... act like fans and express hope about their team?

Games 5-9:
So this is usually the meat of our SEC schedule, playing Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, our rotating west opponent, and either KY or Mizzou. This typically is the "nut cutting" portion of our schedule where we really know who we are and...it's usually a disappointment. Lately we come out of this stretch at either 2-3 or 1-4 and this is when we start questioning our coaching staff and wondering if the coach needs to fire the O-coordinator or D-coordinator. Usually we are also screaming for a QB change, regardless of whether the back ups are actually better or not. By now our record is right around 4-6 or 5-5 and talking about how vital it is to win 1 or two more games to get to a minor bowl for extra practices for the team and look better to recruits. After all, we are always "building for the future" and "we have to be patient." This is also the point in the season where recruits start peeling off and we start sliding in the rankings.
LOL... really? You are still hung up on JG, aren't you? Do you think Pruitt should have been retained too? Are you so satisfied with low results that you aren't willing to discuss things that might make results better?

Typically this is another lesser opponent. I've seen this one go both ways. We either blow them out completely or we come in looking flat and barely scrape out a win. Either way, we're still feeling about the same towards the team from the previous week. Good to get the win but no indicator whatsoever about the team.

Games 11 & 12:
In years past these were KY and Vanderbilt, though it's also been Mizzou and Vanderbilt. Here lately it's rare that we get 2 wins from this stretch. Typically we split it 1-1 but we've also gone 0-2 and wound up 5-7 and missing yet another bowl appearance. By this time we are talking about how the coach "is not the guy" and our administration should just go ahead, pull the trigger, and fire him so we can move on.

So to sum it all up. Most seasons start out with hopes of winning the east and ends in wanting a coaching search.
You've described the last 3 or 4 years better than the last 10, 20, or 30.... but not even the last 4 very well.

You are also taking "exceptions" among posters and drawing generalizations from them. Even among those of us who criticized the play of JG and Pruitt's decision to stick with him... there was a diversity of opinions. There's definitely no monolith or even small number of defined "camps" on this board.

I'm excited about this fall. It'll be a whole different concept on offense and defense. I'm planning on going to the O&W game for the first time in about 10 years, partially because I'm usually working and can't make it and partially because I'm excited about the new direction of our team. For some reason I feel way more positive about it than I ever did with Pruitt.

That is something pretty consistent. When UT is headed in the right direction... the Vols will play "vanilla in those early season cupcake games and still win by 40+ points.

Well coached teams do not show their whole playbook against an early season FCS opponent. But they run enough of their playbook to get player skills on film.

QB play has been awful for the last 4 years. Disappointing doesn't even begin to describe it. There were completely legitimate questions about Pruitt's wisdom in sticking with JG.

That was not the case with Dobbs or Bray or even Crompton. So you are rehashing the JG thing, right?

Yeah... how dare fans... act like fans and express hope about their team?

LOL... really? You are still hung up on JG, aren't you? Do you think Pruitt should have been retained too? Are you so satisfied with low results that you aren't willing to discuss things that might make results better?

614a868cb5fda6e5f0098a49420c96e3.gif

Self awareness is NOT a strong suit for you... is it?

You posted that... and then tell someone else to "lighten up"?

You: "The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!! We're all going to die!!!"

Someone else: "No it isn't and no we aren't."

You: "Lighten up".

Self awareness is NOT a strong suit for you... is it?

You posted that... and then tell someone else to "lighten up"?

You: "The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!! We're all going to die!!!"

Someone else: "No it isn't and no we aren't."

You: "Lighten up".

LOL, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...is it?

I never said anything about the sky falling. That had absolutely nothing to do with my post. I was simply recapping what the typical conversations on this forum are during a given season (especially recent history) while exercising a pinch of bravado in the interest of humor. Too bad it went over your head. Should I post a preemptive disclaimer next time for the ultra sensitive readers like you?

I’m thinking Dooley era. Exciting offense and lots of heartache.
Hopefully we end up in a better spot than we did with Dooley.
Think "poor man's" Dooley. Dooley could at least recruit some elite receivers and elite linemen.

Any different from you would create a rash of heart attacks on the board....

So you are saying that UT will go 0-8 in the conference, correct? Vandy with a new coach and much worse talent than UT will win. USCe with less talent and no less a mess will beat UT. Pitt a middling ACC team playing Pruitt-ball is an insurmountable opponent?
this is what I expect
6.5 wins. Losses to UF, Bama, UGA, Mizzou and Ole Miss. Pitt is a toss up.
3-9 would not surprise me though given recent history and luck of this program

If you love college football and the Vols every year is exciting. If you want to compian and moan and cry about things I guess it wouldn't be too exciting. Each to it's own, I will be ready and excited about the football season I could care less what others think. GBO!!!!!

VN Store

Back