So Glad We Didn’t Hire Mike Leach

Nick Sandmann is gonna be really, really rich. i think he's being vindicated pretty well.

We still have free speech no doubt. The issue has always been the consequences one is exposed to if free speech is exercised. In this day and time one has to be cognizant if one's speech or actions can be twisted, parsed, massaged, or even flat out lied about to construe racism, misogyny, or a homophobic bias the media will promote it that way. The real damage is done in that first liar always wins. The Duke Lacrosse team never had their reputations repaired 100% nor the youngster from Kentucky accused by the old fraudulent native American guy of racism in DC. There will always be a few that will never believe the truth of innocence after the lie convicted them in the media originally.

I actually saw that meme here on VN. Thought it was funny. It did not have shady under tones. It was a marriage joke. Leach just re-shared it. Anyone that claims that tweet to be offensive is just looking for a reason to cry racism.

I agree. To me it was funny and the world is in a sorry state due to a complicit MSM, but this is a man that has to coach and motivate ~100 young men 80% of whom it will offend. My point was that he needs to realize the current state of the world we live in and adapt to it or find himself having limited success because he will have trouble recruiting and motivating his team. Just glad Fulmer doesn't have to apoligize whenever this nitwit tweets. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Did Tennessee football dodge a bullet by not hiring eccentric Mike Leach?

Reactions: Boca Vol
I agree. To me it was funny and the world is in a sorry state due to a complicit MSM, but this is a man that has to coach and motivate ~100 young men 80% of whom it will offend. My point was that he needs to realize the current state of the world we live in and adapt to it or find himself having limited success because he will have trouble recruiting and motivating his team. Just glad Fulmer doesn't have to apoligize whenever this nitwit tweets. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Did Tennessee football dodge a bullet by not hiring eccentric Mike Leach?
He's going to offend 80%? That was *really* tame for Leach's personality. There is zero reason to associate the joke with lynching despite whatever twist a 'journalist' may try and put on it. Anyone who 'gets offended' is seeking attention or too dimwitted to realize that hangings and lynchings are not the same. End of story... the kid who transferred was looking for a way out, plain and simple.

Reactions: BUBear and Smokey X
I was talking about this with my son yesterday. He, who was a D1athlete for 4 years, said more likely these guys were looking for a reason to get “recruited again” & this just happened to occur at the appropriate time. He said regardless of where you are, you think other coaches would appreciate you more than your current coaches who are on you most of the time.

I was talking about this with my son yesterday. He, who was a D1athlete for 4 years, said more likely these guys were looking for a reason to get “recruited again” & this just happened to occur at the appropriate time. He said regardless of where you are, you think other coaches would appreciate you more than your current coaches who are on you most of the time.
After the Justin Fields precedent at UGA, I think there's definitely some of that going on.

Guess it's just me but I would have never made a lynching comparison.

He didn’t make a lynching comparison. Lynching and hanging are two different things, lynching being the more gruesome. But the noose is the common denominator.

I also don’t think Leach had any racist intentions behind the post, but he showed poor judgment and a bit of tone deafness to the history of Mississippi, and what that noose represents to some people.

Had Leach posted that while still at Washington State I don’t think it would have been a big deal.

Last edited:
The problem is he offended his players. Not a good look.

This...not to mention parents, grandparents and great grandparents of African-American recruits in that state and nearby states.

It’s entirely possible that Leach was trying to make a joke about marriage, but lacked awareness of how that joke would fly in Mississippi.

This...not to mention parents, grandparents and great grandparents of African-American recruits in that state and nearby states.

It’s entirely possible that Leach was trying to make a joke about marriage, but lacked awareness of how that joke would fly in Mississippi.

entirely possible that was the intent? how could it be anything but?

I see virtually zero chance it wasn't a joke about marriage. I understand the Mississippi angle he missed but

entirely possible that was the intent? how could it be anything but?

I see virtually zero chance it wasn't a joke about marriage. I understand the Mississippi angle he missed but

My point was his intent was not racial, but he failed to take into consideration the racial undertones of posting a noose given where he’s coaching now.

Reactions: volinbham
My point was his intent was not racial, but he failed to take into consideration the racial undertones of posting a noose given where he’s coaching now.

I'd submit that the problem wasn't with Leach but the wussified society we live in. Looking for something nefarious and racist behind every damned blade of grass.

You are correct. It’s a common mistake made by those who move into Mississippi. Other states don’t live race 24/7/365, but Mississippi does.

I'd submit that the problem wasn't with Leach but the wussified society we live in. Looking for something nefarious and racist behind every damned blade of grass.

As this pertains specifically to Mississippi, I respectfully disagree with you.

You don’t have to search very hard to connect Mississippi’s past with that noose.

Mike Leach gets a pass because he’s not from there and didn’t get the connection.

As this pertains specifically to Mississippi, I respectfully disagree with you.

You don’t have to search very hard to connect Mississippi’s past with that noose.

Mike Leach gets a pass because he’s not from there and didn’t get the connection.
I’m not sure. It’s a two way street to make progress. It’s not a good look and shouldn’t be posted by a D1 head coach, but at some point the wall dividing us has to be chopped away at by both sides

Reactions: BUBear
I’m not sure. It’s a two way street to make progress. It’s not a good look and shouldn’t be posted by a D1 head coach, but at some point the wall dividing us has to be chopped away at by both sides.

Progress in this case is a college football coach, tasked with building a team comprised primarily of African-American males from Mississippi, understanding the history of the state where he’s coaching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Progress in this case is a college football coach, tasked with building a team comprised primarily of African-American males from Mississippi, understanding the history of the state where he’s coaching. Nothing more, nothing less.

To quote you, respectfully disagree with the "nothing more, nothing less" ending. Intention is more important than items used to make the joke imo.

To quote you, respectfully disagree with the "nothing more, nothing less" ending. Intention is more important than items used to make the joke imo.

What Leach did is bad for business regardless of his intent, which we all agree was not malicious.

Do you agree or disagree?

What Leach did is bad for business regardless of his intent, which we all agree was not malicious.

Do you agree or disagree?
I agree with that on a personal level. Just not professional for a coach to make the joke at all in a social media platform. Don’t agree with any association of racial undertones, regardless of where he works.

I agree with that on a personal level. Just not professional for a coach to make the joke at all in a social media platform. Don’t agree with any association of racial undertones, regardless of where he works.

The association you dismiss is the primary reason the tweet is bad for business.

Mississippi State’s AD said as much in his statement:
“No matter the context, for many Americans the image of a noose is never appropriate and that’s particularly true in the South and in Mississippi....

Last edited:
The association you dismiss is the primary reason the tweet is bad for business.

Mississippi State’s AD said as much in his statement:
The AD saying it’s a bad association doesn’t mean I can’t disagree. He’s running damage control anyway.

VN Store

Back