So ESD recap: are u happy were needs filled?

BIG BOI 23

I’m happy. We did great on OL class signed 6 I believe and all but one enroll early GREAT news

LB another HUGE need and absolutely killed it Hopper Diabate, and Summerall all have great pass rush abilities Hopper is small but is sick off the edge and has safety speed for a LB then the stud ILB Diwun Black

DL is a disappointing area for sure need to go all in on getting Aubrey Solomon to take visit at least we got grimes and Jefferson last year and they made a huge difference come on Mullen pls make it happen

RB - I always like a 4 star Miami RB and Nayquan Wright is nice compliment to guys we have

DB - safety is a fail but I like what I saw from Stewart n Davis last year and Steele can play safety

Landing Chris Steele and Kaiir Elam puts UF is in great shape atm some are saying Steele already signed just gonna let kid have his moment at AA game

Can’t stress enough how important closing with these guys is for yr after next and even 2019

Last edited:
I think UT should be fairly happy. we got most of our major pieces signed yesterday.

Wanya Morris at OT being the biggest of course. I think all of our other OL commits signed yesterday bringing us to 4, got a 4 star, an IMG kid, and one other big mauler which UT has been missing. Adding Wright would be huge, but likely not signing until Feb, and not committed anywhere yet. but heavy favorites. with how bad our Oline has been its not far-fetched to see that these five could all be starters one day.

DB was probably our next biggest haul. Good 4* S in McCollough, several 4* CBs Burrel and Fields. with one more not signed, Harris, may be the best CB. Beasely signed as well, he may be more of a star but great athelete.

Next I would say is the beef we added at DT. We needed bodies and we got three big ones, no big name star power here but numbers enough that one or two should work out. Got one more who hasn't signed.

Got two solid blocking TEs which we have needed. Brown and Lowe.

QB, got a good Elite 11, FL, QB in Maurer. doesn't have the stars but is obviously talented

The rest haven't really filled needs completely.

OLB/DE has been a flop. Lost one commitment to Memphis, One isn't signing until February, but most feel he is a flip. But the one we did sign is way underrated. Roman Harrison is probably a name that will pop up and should get rated a 4* after an amazing state title game/playoff run with very good production. College OLB playing DT in highschool and doing great. I believe he was the most productive DT we signed, and we are moving him to OLB. We need pass rushers. Last hope seems to be 4* Bogle out of Miami, who has loved UT but we have to win over mama. Diaz leaving helps, and negative news against Miami hopefully helps too, but it would still be considered an upset if we got him.

No ILB to speak of really. might have Crouch sign later, maybe February, but currently un committed. not a huge need, but concerning we aren't bringing in a body or two.

WR wasn't a big need, we got one great one Ramel Keyton who had been flirting with 5* status before getting hurt. and then we signed a low 3* WR who is more of a burner which is a need. but a lot of our fans feel let down because we were in on bigger names who spurned us.

RB we also don't have anyone at the moment, but we are expecting to get a signature from 4*TN RB Eric Gray today. so this could be filled. I think most people would have preferred to sign two, but with some number issues its not an immediate concern.

If we close with Wright, Gray, and Crouch (We are heavy favorites for all) I would give this class a solid B maybe B+, adding Bogle would definitely make it a B+/A- class. should finish top 20 maybe top 15. we may have to hit up the transfer options again in some places.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
As an Aggie, I'm thrilled. 22 signed with 1 more today...and 3 remaining slots to pick/choose. I'm of the opinion Kenyon Green starts as a true freshman (the number one prospect in the great State of Texas)...which we know is rare for an offensive lineman.

As a complete aside, how about Arkansas? Crazy they did so well given their record. In a way, I'm pulling for their head coach (Chad Morris) given he's an Aggie.

Lack of star power on the defensive line is kind of worrisome. Perhaps they see defensive line as a developmental position where you can take beefy, but less talented, guys and coach them up while focusing your recruiting efforts more on skilled guys at skill positions. Linebacker is not good either.

Morris was a huge get, but we need Wright too. We've all seen over the last couple of years that having just one really good offensive lineman doesn't really help much. I don't expect Trey Smith to play anymore, so it's absolutely vital we get both of them and they pan out.

Reactions: Gatornator
Mullen has done more with less the past 9 year. Lets see what he can do with some talent. As far as UT goes, getting the talent on The Hill has never been the issue.

Mullen has done more with less the past 9 year. Lets see what he can do with some talent. As far as UT goes, getting the talent on The Hill has never been the issue.
Pruitt is better. Butch Jones or Dan Mullen wouldn’t have pulled this class or had a better season in Pruitts situation. Also, it’s not just about the rankings. I really believe we have a few diamonds in the rough,(Josh Allen’s) players that are underrated.( Beasley and Harrison for sure) He’s getting the size he wants, the speed he wants, and the type of players he wants. I’m honestly ready to lock Pruitt up, I’d be very happy with him getting a raise and a crazy buyout from us. He’s a helluva coach. I believe it’s hard to see right now, (for some people) but we got the best coach out of everyone. Even with the fiasco that went along with it. Go Vols!

Reactions: v0ltan
Pruitt is better. Butch Jones or Dan Mullen wouldn’t have pulled this class or had a better season in Pruitts situation. Also, it’s not just about the rankings. I really believe we have a few diamonds in the rough,(Josh Allen’s) players that are underrated.( Beasley and Harrison for sure) He’s getting the size he wants, the speed he wants, and the type of players he wants. I’m honestly ready to lock Pruitt up, I’d be very happy with him getting a raise and a crazy buyout from us. He’s a helluva coach. I believe it’s hard to see right now, (for some people) but we got the best coach out of everyone. Even with the fiasco that went along with it. Go Vols!

I'm starting to think you are Pruitt or related to him. I've never seen anyone kiss ass like this for someone who has yet to do much to earn it.

I'm starting to think you are Pruitt or related to him. I've never seen anyone kiss ass like this for someone who has yet to do much to earn it.
He’s the real deal. I never believed Butch was, definitely not Dooley. I had faith in Kiffen, but I’m way more confident about Pruitt and his football mentality he brings. Great recruiter, defensive genius, and comes across as a Leader that doesn’t care what the general public thinks. ( OC search) He already seems like a veteran head coach and is killing it. The future is very bright!

Reactions: GoVols15
He’s the real deal. I never believed Butch was, definitely not Dooley. I had faith in Kiffen, but I’m way more confident about Pruitt and his football mentality he brings. Great recruiter, defensive genius, and comes across as a Leader that doesn’t care what the general public thinks. ( OC search) He already seems like a veteran head coach and is killing it. The future is very bright!

Well I mean, it's better if you're right rather than if you're wrong, I'll give you that much.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Mercer got 16 LOIs in early signing period, which seems good for a FCS program. Usually, we have wait until most of the FBS teams are done before we know who we will get. Looking forward to seeing what Jake Fromm's brother Dylan can to at college level.

For me to say "no evidence of that" would still be an understatement.

Mullen's coaching ability is proven.
My *opinion is that Pruitt will be the better recruiter, that was my concern with bringing Mullen here.

With UF's success last year, our 5-7 season, the talent level in Florida, the struggles of Miami and FSU and so on, Florida should be ahead of us. Definitely not 4 spots behind.

Mullen should succeed at UF, coaching and homegrown talent. Hate to say but it's the perfect job for him.
I think he would have had pure coaching wins here but never raided other states' talent enough to be a playoff team. At least Pruitt is an unknown, so there's always the possibility.

Mercer got 16 LOIs in early signing period, which seems good for a FCS program. Usually, we have wait until most of the FBS teams are done before we know who we will get. Looking forward to seeing what Jake Fromm's brother Dylan can to at college level.
Nice job slipping in a much awaited Mercer recruiting update.

For me to say "no evidence of that" would still be an understatement.

Mullen's coaching ability is proven.
My *opinion is that Pruitt will be the better recruiter, that was my concern with bringing Mullen here.

With UF's success last year, our 5-7 season, the talent level in Florida, the struggles of Miami and FSU and so on, Florida should be ahead of us. Definitely not 4 spots behind.

Mullen should succeed at UF, coaching and homegrown talent. Hate to say but it's the perfect job for him.
I think he would have had pure coaching wins here but never raided other states' talent enough to be a playoff team. At least Pruitt is an unknown, so there's always the possibility.
Adding Chris Steele and Kaiir Elam would move UF a good bit I imagine

Top 12 or so and I’m good but next year I’m hoping for top 10 we got a better start being ranked 3rd atm

And we are slowly taking back recruiting grounds Lakeland looking like gator country again next up Tampa

For whatever the reason people act like Mullen is a old man set in his ways and he can’t improve with time **** he’s only 46 and he came from a historically terrible team in MSU I’ll give him time to adjust

One of two elite recruiters could make a world of difference instead he initially he went with guys with a tons of exp and it worked they coached em up good and looked like a entirely different team from last season

It’s amazing how a crucial a good strength program/coach is

Polite for example shed 40lbs and they moved him to edge rusher and boom he’s an all American and racked up 11.5 sacks and 16 tfl basically went undrafted to first round in a year

Also Gardner went from getting put on his ass every week last year to another likely first rounder or early second

OL run blocking was trash mac whole 3 years first year under Mullen and his OL coach and them boys looked damn good at least compared to what we’d got used to seeing

A good OL coach and a good strength make the world of difference

Last edited:
Kiffin. Kiffin. Its spelt with two "I"s. Never understood how people can profess to be a fan of someone whose name they can't spell.

I think UT should be fairly happy. we got most of our major pieces signed yesterday.

Wanya Morris at OT being the biggest of course. I think all of our other OL commits signed yesterday bringing us to 4, got a 4 star, an IMG kid, and one other big mauler which UT has been missing. Adding Wright would be huge, but likely not signing until Feb, and not committed anywhere yet. but heavy favorites. with how bad our Oline has been its not far-fetched to see that these five could all be starters one day.

DB was probably our next biggest haul. Good 4* S in McCollough, several 4* CBs Burrel and Fields. with one more not signed, Harris, may be the best CB. Beasely signed as well, he may be more of a star but great athelete.

Next I would say is the beef we added at DT. We needed bodies and we got three big ones, no big name star power here but numbers enough that one or two should work out. Got one more who hasn't signed.

Got two solid blocking TEs which we have needed. Brown and Lowe.

QB, got a good Elite 11, FL, QB in Maurer. doesn't have the stars but is obviously talented

The rest haven't really filled needs completely.

OLB/DE has been a flop. Lost one commitment to Memphis, One isn't signing until February, but most feel he is a flip. But the one we did sign is way underrated. Roman Harrison is probably a name that will pop up and should get rated a 4* after an amazing state title game/playoff run with very good production. College OLB playing DT in highschool and doing great. I believe he was the most productive DT we signed, and we are moving him to OLB. We need pass rushers. Last hope seems to be 4* Bogle out of Miami, who has loved UT but we have to win over mama. Diaz leaving helps, and negative news against Miami hopefully helps too, but it would still be considered an upset if we got him.

No ILB to speak of really. might have Crouch sign later, maybe February, but currently un committed. not a huge need, but concerning we aren't bringing in a body or two.

WR wasn't a big need, we got one great one Ramel Keyton who had been flirting with 5* status before getting hurt. and then we signed a low 3* WR who is more of a burner which is a need. but a lot of our fans feel let down because we were in on bigger names who spurned us.

RB we also don't have anyone at the moment, but we are expecting to get a signature from 4*TN RB Eric Gray today. so this could be filled. I think most people would have preferred to sign two, but with some number issues its not an immediate concern.

If we close with Wright, Gray, and Crouch (We are heavy favorites for all) I would give this class a solid B maybe B+, adding Bogle would definitely make it a B+/A- class. should finish top 20 maybe top 15. we may have to hit up the transfer options again in some places.
If we add both Wright and Bogle? This class gets a sold A for Pruitt and next year should be better.

Mullen had been a head coach in the sec West for 9 years while Pruitt is literally learning on the job

He’s basically a decade behind Mullen

Some of y’all really undervalue experience lol

Last edited:
Mullen had been a head coach in the sec West for 9 years while Pruitt is literally learning on the job

He’s basically a decade behind Mullen as a HC it wasn’t after 08 Mullen was hired by MSU

Some of y’all really undervalue experience
Mullen had a very nice first season after the Kentucky loss. Signature win over LSU. I would be slightly disappointed with that class if I were you.

Mullen had a very nice first season after the Kentucky loss. Signature win over LSU. I would be slightly disappointed with that class if I were you.
The 2 elite DBs Kaiir Elam and Chris Steele will determine how I feel about the class land those 2 and I’m good

Some believe Steele has already signed his LOI to Fla and he’s just making it public at the all star game

I hope it’s true but we’ll see I’m more worried about a 5 star kid from Cali then I am a former all americans little brother but rn UF is in good shape to land both I believe

Last edited:
Wow guess we dodged a bullet with chip

You ain’t even trying if u suck that bad being located in LA

I gotta look at this class lol
Kelly is widely known as a guy who doesn't like recruiting. He's sees it as something that gets in the way or distracts him from cooking up his offensive schemes. He sees his scheme, when properly executed, as being infallible, and the quality of the players who run it don't matter as much.

His recruiting classes at Oregon were ranked 30th, 12th, 12th, and 14th nationally. That isn't bad, but it also isn't elite. He never had a #1 Pac-12 recruiting class either; he was 2nd one year, otherwise was 3rd or 4th. Again, not bad, but his teams finished in the top 4 for 3 straight years. You'd expect a little better recruiting. Ironically, Oregon's class this year is 6th nationally and by far the best in the Pac-12; this one class far surpasses any Kelly recruited in terms of 247 rankings.

I agree with your take though - there really isn't a good reason why UCLA football should be bad for any significant length of time purely based on the location. Arizona, Cal, and Arizona St all have higher rated classes. This year's class is 8th in the conference, just marginally better than Colorado and Washington St.

VN Store

Back