SMU Ranked

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
I think it's pretty neat that they are ranked in the top 25 for the first time since the death penalty. I've watched the 30 for 30 on TV a couple of times then bought it through Amazon. For those who have not watched the DVD of their plight, the extras are worth it.

It's been thirty years since they fielded their first top 25 team post Death Penalty.

Alabama jumps to No. 1 after Clemson close call

Last edited:
Fixed. Meant to say first time in top 25 since they came back from the death penalty.

However, they were in a major conference playing with the big boys of college football back then. Now, they are relegated to a non power 5 conference.

Cal fired Sonny Dykes and now they suck. SMU sucked and they hired Sonny Dykes. 🤔

Mustang Mania rides again.

Last edited:
The win over TCU propelled SMU into the Top 25 but isn't looking so good now. TCU will be lucky to make it to a bowl game this season. SMU struggled to beat a horrible Tulsa squad BUT I'm still happy to see Dykes is turning the program around.

Chad Morris left Dykes some talent to work with before bolting to Arkansas. If given the time to do it Morris will get the Hogs headed in the right direction also.

The win over TCU propelled SMU into the Top 25 but isn't looking so good now. TCU will be lucky to make it to a bowl game this season. SMU struggled to beat a horrible Tulsa squad BUT I'm still happy to see Dykes is turning the program around.

Chad Morris left Dykes some talent to work with before bolting to Arkansas. If given the time to do it Morris will get the Hogs headed in the right direction also.

I'm not seeing why Tulsa is so "horrible"; they came into the game 2-2 with both losses being Michigan St. and Oklahoma St., and one of their wins over Wyoming (who beat Missouri).

The shine has really come off of Patterson's TCU program as well. What has happened to all these difference-makers he was thriving with just a few years ago. The reality is that the Sooners and big 12 are getting dangerously close to looking like Clemson and the 13 dwarfs. They paste the Horns Saturday and it gets even worse.

For every team, there is a HC that just fits what they need to be. SMU and Dykes is a great example. Now, will he just stay put and not consider it a launching pad back to power 5 football?

Chad Morris is a different animal altogether. He feels like the square peg in the round whole. His teams really struggle against inferior competition. Never a good sign.

The shine has really come off of Patterson's TCU program as well. What has happened to all these difference-makers he was thriving with just a few years ago. The reality is that the Sooners and big 12 are getting dangerously close to looking like Clemson and the 13 dwarfs. They paste the Horns Saturday and it gets even worse.
I think the BIG XII will be ok.

The Big 12's average SP+ rating is currently 12.6 adjusted points per game, just a point behind the SEC's (13.4). Although the league has only one top-10 team to the SEC's five, its depth is astounding: Six teams rank between 14th and 33rd, and a seventh isn't far behind (No. 41 Kansas State).

I think the BIG XII will be ok.

The AP poll this week suggests that the depth and coaching in the Big 12 aren't as good as even just a few years ago. Oklahoma at #6, Texas at #11 and an undefeated Baylor team at 5-0 is sitting at #22. And that is it. And I would suggest that an undefeated Baylor team at only #22 is also a sign of what pollsters think and feel about the product the Big 12 is putting out these days. And the Big 12 round-robin schedule hasn't made it's appointed rounds yet.

My point is that the conference can't produce enough elite competition to get the notice of big gamedays on the national level. In truth, Texas game with LSU has been about the only national game that has registered on that meter. Where do you go after the red river rivalry? Unless there's a huge upset of the sooners the Big 12 may not be heard from again, especially, if Texas loses this Saturday. Boykin's TCU, Griffin's Baylor, even Weeden's Ok State team was constantly climbing the rankings and made some noise nationally. The conference needs some heroes and soon.

The AP poll this week suggests that the depth and coaching in the Big 12 aren't as good as even just a few years ago. Oklahoma at #6, Texas at #11 and an undefeated Baylor team at 5-0 is sitting at #22. And that is it. And I would suggest that an undefeated Baylor team at only #22 is also a sign of what pollsters think and feel about the product the Big 12 is putting out these days. And the Big 12 round-robin schedule hasn't made it's appointed rounds yet.

My point is that the conference can't produce enough elite competition to get the notice of big gamedays on the national level. In truth, Texas game with LSU has been about the only national game that has registered on that meter. Where do you go after the red river rivalry? Unless there's a huge upset of the sooners the Big 12 may not be heard from again, especially, if Texas loses this Saturday. Boykin's TCU, Griffin's Baylor, even Weeden's Ok State team was constantly climbing the rankings and made some noise nationally. The conference needs some heroes and soon.
Keep an eye on the new coach at Tech. He knocked Okie Lite out of the Top 25 and took #18 Baylor to double OT before losing to the Bears.

For every team, there is a HC that just fits what they need to be. SMU and Dykes is a great example. Now, will he just stay put and not consider it a launching pad back to power 5 football?

Chad Morris is a different animal altogether. He feels like the square peg in the round whole. His teams really struggle against inferior competition. Never a good sign.
Big 12 Gary Patterson isn't the same as Conference USA and Mountain West Gary Patterson.

Big 12 Gary Patterson is either really, really good or .500 or worse. There's never any middle ground, like an 8 or 9 win season. Either either top 10 or not very good at all.

UofH wants to go P5 and they can't even fill their stadium for a Top 25 rival...SMH. There are 4.5 million people living within the city limits. Looks like Tilman Fertitta is wasting his money on football. Maybe he should reinvest that money in Kelvin Sampson and also the Rockets.

Last edited:
SMU got a great deal getting Sonny Dykes after a bounceback from Cal (always thought that was a weird fit). Correct me if I was wrong, but he was on short list when we hired Butch.

Reactions: BUBear
UofH wants to go P5 and they can't even fill their stadium for a Top 25 rival...SMH. There are 4.5 million people living within the city limits. Looks like Tilman Fertitta is wasting his money on football. Maybe he should reinvest that money in Kelvin Sampson and also the Rockets.
There's a little problem this year though - they aren't good, and their best/most well-known player (King) isn't playing. If the team is mailing the season in, why should their fans care?

That program is in a great area for recruiting, and there is something to be said for their status as the only G5 team to land a 5-star recruit, but they are so far away from not being seen as a stepping stone job. Any coach that has success there moves on to bigger and better things (Briles, Sumlin, Herman). They also seem to have extremely high expectations for a program that has never been big and never won anything. They fire coaches who win 7 or 8 games a year (Levine, Applewhite). I think they expect to be like UCF every year, because winning 7 or 8 games isn't good enough for them.

I'm not sure if SMU has ever been 8-0, even in the Pony Express days.

While watching that 30 for 30 over and over, towards the end when they are having success, I couldn't help but think they are not playing in a P5 any more. So, to me, that dilutes the success somewhat.

VN Store

Back