Smokey Is Tha Man

IBleedOrange24/7

Was everyone as happy to see the smokster finialy get alittle more attention?

Im pretty pleased with the new logos. Cant wait to get some of the gear.

Just a big fan of the pooch, He's a little young but seemed towards the end of last season well adjusted to his new gig.

Hmmmmmm no one loves Smokey! wow i'd never thought that.
Guess this wasnt topic type material?

I was glad to lose the old stuff, and make Smokey a little more part of the marketing. He is the Mascot of UT!

Suppose i'll be the only one cheering him down the Vol walk and onto the field sept 3rd?

I know im not the only one take'n the opportunity to get my photo w/him.....Maybe it doesnt bother me to like the pooch that much. :blink:

No one likes how they have smokey displayed. 90% of the people I have talked to hate them and you can include me in tha group.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 18, 2005 3:13 AM
Gotta give the thread time to get replies, man.

Anyways, we had a big thread(s) about this awhile ago.

This is also worth checking out:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37329

Hilarious.
[snapback]95682[/snapback]​

At the time of the thread post id just joined up.
Id looked thru a few things but never really seen anything "Smokey".

After a few weeks realized that it probably had been a topic before i ever came on.

Them Sooner fans must be pretty upset? But it was funny

There's an abundance of Bammers on that board, but the Farks board has the funniest crap ever. Go look at the Stunned Aggie threads, particularly "Stunned Aggie Throughout History"

Originally posted by The Swamp@May 18, 2005 8:51 PM
what is the reasoning behind smokey?
how do you get a dog out of vols?
[snapback]95924[/snapback]​

After a student poll sponsored by the Pep Club revealed a desire to select a live mascot for the University, the Pep Club held a contest in 1953 to select a coonhound, a native breed of the state, as the mascot to represent the school. Announcements of the contest in local newspapers read, “This can’t be an ordinary hound. He must be a ‘Houn’ Dog’ in the best sense of the word.”

The late Rev. Bill Brooks entered his prize-winning blue tick coon hound, “Brooks’ Blue Smokey,” in the contest. At halftime of the Mississippi State game that season, the dogs were lined up on the old cheerleaders’ ramp at Shields-Watkins Field. Each dog was introduced over the loudspeaker and the student body cheered for their favorite, with “Blue Smokey” being the last hound introduced. When his name was called, he barked. The students cheered and Smokey threw his head back and barked again. This kept going until the stadium was in an uproar and UT had found its mascot. Rev. Brooks supplied UT with the line of canines until his death in 1986 when his wife, Mildred, took over the caretaking role. She did so until 1994, when her brother and sister-in-law, Earl and Martha Hudson of Knoxville, took over responsibility for Smokey VII and eventually Smokey VIII, with Smokey IX now carrying on the banner of the Smokey lineage. Mrs. Brooks died in July 1997.

One of the most beloved figures in the state, Smokey is famous for leading the Vols out of the giant “T” prior to each home game. The dogs have led exciting lives. Smokey II was dognapped by Kentucky students in 1955 and later survived a confrontation with the Baylor Bear at the 1957 Sugar Bowl. Smokey VI, who suffered heat exhaustion in the 140-degree temperatures at the 1991 UCLA game, was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. Smokey III compiled a 105-39-5 record and two SEC championships. Smokey VI, who passed away in 1991, was on the sidelines for three SEC championships. Smokey VIII is the winningest Smokey, having compiled a record of 91-22 (.805), with two SEC titles and the 1998 national championship. The newest Smokey, Smokey IX (left), was at his post at the 2004 Peach Bowl and will be on the sidelines for the season opener against UNLV Sept. 5.

VN Store

Back