Smokey Gray helmets for sale to donors

Beat Georgia in them in 2015, beat Florida in them in 2016, and I didn’t remember us wearing them in the bowl against Nebraska, but I’m gonna take the poster’s word on it. That would make 3 wins. Still not worth 1,000 dollars.

Beat Georgia in them in 2015, beat Florida in them in 2016, and I didn’t remember us wearing them in the bowl against Nebraska, but I’m gonna take the poster’s word on it. That would make 3 wins. Still not worth 1,000 dollars.

I loved Smokey grey (2nd version) as an alternate. But they should have never used against Nebraska. That's two classic blue bloods and it deserved O/W.

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
I HATED the grays. But.. The helmets looked bad as well to me, until I was able to really see the texture of surface and the way the Smoky mountains were imprinted on there. Very subtle and if you aren't paying attention, you'd miss it. That is quite impressive, especially for those who spend a lot of time in those mountains and love East Tenn. To sum up, that is the ONLY thing good about the grays. Also they were specifically brought out after the Gatlinburg fires as a tribute to the victims.

Just got an email saying the AD was selling the old helmets while availability lasts to donors. Was curious, thinking I’d pay $100-$300. They want $1000. Yikes. For a helmet that never saw a win if I’m not mistaken.
Yeah... you are mistaken. The biggest win of the Butch era was with those helmets (Florida '16).

Not if the helmets were retired for safety reasons.
If that was the case, wouldn't they go ahead and make the regular white helmets for sale to then? This seems like a way of relegating the design itself to the trash heap. That would be consistent with how Fulmer does things. He is a big believer in embracing your tradition and being proud of your history and of what made you who you are. I bet he hates those smoky gray uni's with a passion.

If that was the case, wouldn't they go ahead and make the regular white helmets for sale to then? This seems like a way of relegating the design itself to the trash heap. That would be consistent with how Fulmer does things. He is a big believer in embracing your tradition and being proud of your history and of what made you who you are. I bet he hates those smoky gray uni's with a passion.

I would think they would get brand new white ones every couple years for safety reasons normally. I don't know if they sell them or not.

You put a sub-par product on the field for 10+ years. Make a series of disastrous, stupid, greedy moves which help to nearly sink this program. Yet, at the end of al that, you are still lucky enough to have 62,000 dedicated season ticket holders.

You have screwed a proud program up beyond belief, yet still have die-hard loyal fans.

And you want to charge those fans $1,000 for a memento of that complete cluster(deleted) era?

I swear to goodness the UT Athletic Department is like a cowboy riding a foaming, dying horse in the desert. We're the horse. And I'm becoming convinced they intend to just keep pushing the thing till it dies.

Pass. On so very many different levels.

You put a sub-par product on the field for 10+ years. Make a series of disastrous, stupid, greedy moves which help to nearly sink this program. Yet, at the end of al that, you are still lucky enough to have 62,000 dedicated season ticket holders.

You have screwed a proud program up beyond belief, yet still have die-hard loyal fans.

And you want to charge those fans $1,000 for a memento of that complete cluster(deleted) era?

I swear to goodness the UT Athletic Department is like a cowboy riding a foaming, dying horse in the desert. We're the horse. And I'm becoming convinced they intend to just keep pushing the thing till it dies.

Pass. On so very many different levels.
That is perfectly reasonable logic. The only thing is, the people they have reached out to are donors anyway... so, it doesn't look quite as bad as your post makes it. It's basically, "Keep your donations coming, and you get some game worn memorabilia, in addition to the other features your generous contribution provides you."

Reactions: VolInNW
Had mine gifted to for a job (aka deployment) well done in October 2017. I think it was a bad omen.

Attachments

• 20190823_071922.jpg
    20190823_071922.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Just got an email saying the AD was selling the old helmets while availability lasts to donors. Was curious, thinking I’d pay $100-$300. They want $1000. Yikes. For a helmet that never saw a win if I’m not mistaken.

Wonder what this means for our alternative jersey.... @DeerPark12 ? Can you shed some light?

These are the coolest uniforms we’ve had in some time. It was nice doing a custom alternate besides the blacks.

Hopefully an even better version of them make a comeback one day.

These are the coolest uniforms we’ve had in some time. It was nice doing a custom alternate besides the blacks.

Hopefully an even better version of them make a comeback one day.
Definately need an alternate uniform of some sort. Maybe a flat orange helmet white Power T, or the UT university system logo.

Reactions: Elhanan
Definately need an alternate uniform of some sort. Maybe a flat orange helmet white Power T, or the UT university system logo.

Pretty sure we have to have an alternative uniform per our Nike contract. Wonder what this means for it considering we are obviously getting rid of the Smokey Greys.

Butch was the worst coach in our history. If I were a rich man I’d buy all those helmets and dump them in the Tennessee river.
Not to alter the main subject of this thread, but I don't know if I would go that far. And trust me, I've been as critical of him as anyone. One of the biggest problems with Butch, in my opinion, was that he gave the our fanbase hope then totally dashed it.

After the Kiffin and Dooley years, Butch came in and in his first three seasons went 5-7, then 7-6, with a bowl win, and then 9-4 with a New Year's Day bowl win. That set up 2016 to be the year Tennessee returned to prominence. But even with big wins over Florida and Georgia, that 9-4 wasn't nearly as good as 2015's 9-4 because of all the drama. And of course, 2017 was one of the most disappointing season I've ever experienced as a Vols fan. The cliches and all would have been much easier to accept had the 2016 season finished with a 10-3 or 11-2 record, then fallen back to 6-6 or 7-5 in 2017 because of all the players that left early for the pros or graduated.

Butch simply couldn't get out of his own way. He was too stubborn to adapt on either side of the ball, completely incapable of adapting to changing game situations, and somewhat reckless with the truth. But the worst coach in our storied history? That dubious honor probably would go to a coach with a losing record over his tenure.

VN Store

Back