Orangeslice13, a blessing to those around him…..Again

I've heard that in baptist churches a lot, the phrase, "sit under a preacher". Most of the time it's nothing bad, just Baptist slang for having them as pastor, or supporting them as pastor. Not saying that to get into the argument, just I've heard it a lot.
Thanks, Joe! I figured it was something like that. Maybe because the pulpit is usually up a few steps from the pews, so in fact the congregation is “under” the pastor. I didn’t think it was creepy, just a phrase that was new to me, but rang oddly because of who wrote it, who does not seem to accept pushback or different views from his own.

I had always attended Disciples churches, and then military chapels. We always observed Easter and Christmas, of course, but not Lent, Advent, etc. So on the first Advent that I attended Knoxville First Christian (a Disciples church), not even knowing it was the beginning of Advent, the church had been decorated for Christmas* and the bulletin announced that the service was celebrating The Hanging of the Greens.

My immediate question to myself was, who were the Greens, and what terrible crimes had they committed that they were being hanged? 🤪

Now I attend a church that recently celebrated Transfiguration Sunday. I definitely had to Google that one.

* @theFallGuy note that the greenery and other decos were hung four Sundays before Christmas, not in April!!

Reactions: joevol33
I have a question about something lilo wrote in his feudin’ and prayin’ thread, and I didn’t want to post it there, as that thread is hopping enough as it is. He wrote:

Is “sit under a preacher” a common phrase? I have to say that for me - I understand it might not resonate this way with others - it carries this authoritarian thou-shalt-not-question-or-challenge-the-big-man-in-the-pulpit vibe. But if this is a common way to describe congregations, that’s cool. It just startled the heck out of me.

Obviously, my denominational background is very different from that of many others here.
That something that I hear from a certain group that all tend to be like lilo.
Including KJV 1611 only.

I guess we all have our turns of phrase.

I’m quite certain that if lilo ever attended my church, he would be convinced that he was in Hell, a subject with which he seems a bit obsessed.
I’m partly responsible for that as I don’t buy the concept of hell and chose to beat him about the head and shoulders with it. kinda like Rex and baptism.

I’ve been known to beat a dead horse.

I have a question about something lilo wrote in his feudin’ and prayin’ thread, and I didn’t want to post it there, as that thread is hopping enough as it is. He wrote:

Is “sit under a preacher” a common phrase? I have to say that for me - I understand it might not resonate this way with others - it carries this authoritarian thou-shalt-not-question-or-challenge-the-big-man-in-the-pulpit vibe. But if this is a common way to describe congregations, that’s cool. It just startled the heck out of me.

Obviously, my denominational background is very different from that of many others here.
I'm Southern Baptist and he's a dick.

I've heard that in baptist churches a lot, the phrase, "sit under a preacher". Most of the time it's nothing bad, just Baptist slang for having them as pastor, or supporting them as pastor. Not saying that to get into the argument, just I've heard it a lot.
Never heard it.

Thanks, Joe! I figured it was something like that. Maybe because the pulpit is usually up a few steps from the pews, so in fact the congregation is “under” the pastor. I didn’t think it was creepy, just a phrase that was new to me, but rang oddly because of who wrote it, who does not seem to accept pushback or different views from his own.

I had always attended Disciples churches, and then military chapels. We always observed Easter and Christmas, of course, but not Lent, Advent, etc. So on the first Advent that I attended Knoxville First Christian (a Disciples church), not even knowing it was the beginning of Advent, the church had been decorated for Christmas* and the bulletin announced that the service was celebrating The Hanging of the Greens.

My immediate question to myself was, who were the Greens, and what terrible crimes had they committed that they were being hanged? 🤪

Now I attend a church that recently celebrated Transfiguration Sunday. I definitely had to Google that one.

* @theFallGuy note that the greenery and other decos were hung four Sundays before Christmas, not in April!!
Little Green Men of Kelly – Visit Hopkinsville – Christian County

Refered to as the greens in Hoptown

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back