Sixth man of the year?

VolsO&W

I haven't seen anything about the AP SEC 6th man of the year with all of the news this morning? Would think Bowden/Turner would at least be considered. Or is 6th man of the year only voted on by the coaches?

I haven't seen anything about the AP SEC 6th man of the year with all of the news this morning? Would think Bowden/Turner would at least be considered. Or is 6th man of the year only voted on by the coaches?
Never mind. See my other comments in post 5

Last edited:
Bowden started the first 5 games, then hasn't since, so he qualifies more than anyone.

His stats are 10.5 pts, 3.4 reb, 2.2 ast, which is good for 4th best scoring on the team. I take back my previous comments, he's a candidate.

Turner started the last 13 games, so he technically shouldn't be considered.

Bowden started the first 5 games, then hasn't since, so he qualifies more than anyone.

His stats are 10.5 pts, 3.4 reb, 2.2 ast, which is good for 4th best scoring on the team. I take back my previous comments, he's a candidate.

Agreed Turner shouldn't be allowed to win it.

I'd guess there aren't any other 6th men that do what Bowden does in Terms of stats and defense

I bet Bowden wins it

Reactions: tnvols72

No offense to Turner, but he thrived last year, where he seemingly got to "get a flow of the game" and come in with the 3's. Maybe him sitting to come in as 6th man would help with what Barnes noted as him pressing. Going to need him big time if we're going to do some damage in the tourney.

Even

Even if Turner would have qualified he hasn’t played well enough to garner this award.

I don’t really think turner or Bowden should be considered. They just both have really hovered between being good players and being liabilities when they’re out there. Especially Bowden. It’s hard to understand how a guy that explosive and athletic can disappear for such long periods of time. Bowden played some amazing minutes in the first Florida game and, you could argue, was the reason we pulled ahead for good. He had about a 5 minute stretch where he was amazing. But that’s really the only great stretch I can remember this year involving him. Most of time he’ll take one I’ll advised shot for every good play he makes. Against au he bricked a wide open 3 with about 2 minutes remaining and then lost the handle and turned the ball over our second to last possession of the game. That game kinda summarizes his season to me. Just no consistency.

The first Florida game was the last stretch of 5 minutes you remember Bowden being good??

Dang your memory sucks if that's what you are saying because the last game we played he was great

I don’t really think turner or Bowden should be considered. They just both have really hovered between being good players and being liabilities when they’re out there. Especially Bowden. It’s hard to understand how a guy that explosive and athletic can disappear for such long periods of time. Bowden played some amazing minutes in the first Florida game and, you could argue, was the reason we pulled ahead for good. He had about a 5 minute stretch where he was amazing. But that’s really the only great stretch I can remember this year involving him. Most of time he’ll take one I’ll advised shot for every good play he makes. Against au he bricked a wide open 3 with about 2 minutes remaining and then lost the handle and turned the ball over our second to last possession of the game. That game kinda summarizes his season to me. Just no consistency.

The first Florida game was the last stretch of 5 minutes you remember Bowden being good??

Dang your memory sucks if that's what you are saying because the last game we played he was great
He was great in the first half and a liability in the second half.

He was great in the first half and a liability in the second half.

He wasn't a liability. He just wasn't a factor. What this Board seems to have a hard time understanding is a player that is at best our 4th scoring option isn't going to be a consistent "factor".

It's almost as if we expect the 4th and 5th guys like turner and Bowden to factor in all
The time but then we also expect Grant to be a workhouse getting double digit shots a game. You just Can't have it both ways.

Anyone else like me? I didn't know this award existed until Lamonte win it last year.

Sigh.....I wish there was a dislike button

He had 16 and 6 against Auburn. You have a selective memory.

My memory? He missed a 3 and turned the ball over on 2 of our last 4 possessions (in the last game). Yes he did hit a few shots early in the game. Which was almost surprising considering how poorly he’d been shooting the ball most if the year.
He’s a talented player. But he’s not been consistently good for the last 2 months. And all said anyway was that he shout be considered for 6th man. Which he wasn’t...

I think it was Gavett from SC

My memory? He missed a 3 and turned the ball over on 2 of our last 4 possessions (in the last game). Yes he did hit a few shots early in the game. Which was almost surprising considering how poorly he’d been shooting the ball most if the year.
He’s a talented player. But he’s not been consistently good for the last 2 months. And all said anyway was that he shout be considered for 6th man. Which he wasn’t...

If you are going to cherry pick single "bad plays" late In games I am sure your wonderful memory will recall the shot against ole miss that without it we lose that game.

If you are going to cherry pick single "bad plays" late In games I am sure your wonderful memory will recall the shot against ole miss that without it we lose that game.

I’d say you have to cherry pick to find the good plays he’s made it year. I didn’t have to think back too far to find the examples I used. The plays I mention are the last 2 possessions of our most recent game.

Bowden was great. Fantastic perimeter defender. He had two mini-slumps shooting, both lasting 4 games: Memphis to Tennessee Tech (4 for 20, 2 for 11 on 3s) and Kentucky to Ole Miss (5 of 24, 0 for 11 on 3s) and STILL hit 44% and 35% on 3s, not to mention 87% at the line. At least 4 rebounds 12 times, at least 4 assists 7 times, at least 2 steals 5 times. Some clutch shots and some highlight reel plays. Could have easily lost 4 more games without him.

Gravett got it from USC. He's the one that just about ended Bone's season when he tackled Bone on a breakaway layup. He's been on my bad list since that.

VN Store

Back