SIAP:UT 2021 PREDICTIONS

He said defense looks pretty good. I hope he's right but LB and CB depth are not looking great while now.

Ceiling 9-3
Prediction 7-5
Floor 5-7
Im not going to lie. I thought our defense was better then the stats say last year just hard to see it with the offense we had. Imho if the defense doesnt regress and our offense is even top 40, we get to your 7-5 prediction. To me there are 3 teams head and shoulders above us. The other 9 on the schedule are games we can win. Of course we have to factor in our recent history that we could lose to anybody on the schedule. We still have a ton of guys from the 2019 team so I wouldnt be shocked with 8-4 or 5-7. Im predicting 8-4. The big 3 will all pull away mid 3rd quater, & we have a long day against 1 of those other 9.

If he is... then Heupel's not the right guy. I would place the low end at 6. There are four games that should be wins without question. There are 3 that look out of reach at this point. There are five that should be no worse than competitive... UT should win 2 of the 5.

I underlined the key words in your post. When was the last time that a UT football team actually accomplished what it should do according to the Vol fan base? The last decade has proved that this team can lose to almost anybody no matter how much frosting has been applied to the cupcake.

While this one was a win and JG made a couple of good throws, you had to make us watch the D not cover a slant.
JG made a couple good throws? He was something like 1 out of 15 on third down conversions. That was one of the most abysmal QB performances you will ever see in college football.

Name one game where Henry To'oto'o's performance was enough of a single factor in the game, that it can be honestly said, that UT would not have won the game without him.
You and I don't always agree but we do here, im not saying HT isn't good player because he is and i would like for him to have stuck around but him leaving isn't going to cost us games im sorry but thats my opinion. His freshman year he was pretty good but his sophomore year he missed more tackles and even though he had slimmed down he still wasn't all that good in pass coverage. Im not saying we have better but it's alot closer than people think

You and I don't always agree but we do here, im not saying HT isn't good player because he is and i would like for him to have stuck around but him leaving isn't going to cost us games im sorry but thats my opinion. His freshman year he was pretty good but his sophomore year he missed more tackles and even though he had slimmed down he still wasn't all that good in pass coverage. Im not saying we have better but it's alot closer than people think

I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's exhibited a level of play that warrants attributing a 1-2 game swing in 2021 on whether or not he's on the team.

Like the entirety of our defense, he was slow, and out of place more than he wasn't in 2020, and while his numbers are good for UT, all things considered, he was still middle of the pack in the conference.

I'm all for him staying on the team, but if not, we aren't going to lose a game because of it.

His freshman year he was pretty good but his sophomore year he missed more tackles and even though he had slimmed down he still wasn't all that good in pass coverage.
You're being extremely kind in your assessment of his pass coverage. His coverage skills had me thinking that Pruitt had invented a whole new defense - the missing man formation.

I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's exhibited a level of play that warrants attributing a 1-2 game swing in 2021 on whether or not he's on the team.

Like the entirety of our defense, he was slow, and out of place more than he wasn't in 2020, and while his numbers are good for UT, all things considered, he was still middle of the pack in the conference.

I'm all for him staying on the team, but if not, we aren't going to lose a game because of it.
I agree with this assessment.

That 3-7 had very little to do with talent...it was directly attributable to a dysfunctional coaching staff.

The athletes were more than good enough to perform at a much higher level.

The 3-7 had to do with a dysfunctional coaching staff and the fact that they were not overwhelming more talented than the opponent.

Where I agree with sjt18 is that those teams aren't significantly more talented than Tennessee and therefore Tennessee has a chance to win. However, where I disagree is that they aren't significantly less talented than Tennessee either.

So, if they have been in their systems for more than a few months, if they are playing at home, if they have 20 of the 22 starting positions settled entering the Fall, etc, etc, etc, they have an advantage over Tennessee in that regard.

But, if this was the roster and situation of another school, I believe that most here would have a great deal of disagreement with predictions of 8-4

You're being extremely kind in your assessment of his pass coverage. His coverage skills had me thinking that Pruitt had invented a whole new defense - the missing man formation.
I do try to be kind sometimes, but the missing man formation you speak of is exactly what it was

My honest opinion we'll miss Crouch more than Henry

Still may be in time.
It's not looking like it right now, but we have a long way to go

HB is not a flash player, but he is the kind of QB who makes enough plays to win. He does not get over confident or panic ridden, regardless of what is happening. Even if one of the others gets the nod as starter, I think HB will go the distance and bring the team up to winning again. This in no way discounts the other guys. Frankly, Maurer looks good to me. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts and wins several games.

Last edited:
I underlined the key words in your post. When was the last time that a UT football team actually accomplished what it should do according to the Vol fan base? The last decade has proved that this team can lose to almost anybody no matter how much frosting has been applied to the cupcake.
I don't disagree. I am laying what "should be" at the feet of the HC. It is his job to make reality of what should be.

JG made a couple good throws? He was something like 1 out of 15 on third down conversions. That was one of the most abysmal QB performances you will ever see in college football.

I conveniently forgot how awful we were in the first 6 games on 3rd down. It was horrible!

While I appreciate the positive attitude, this feels incredibly optimistic. Looking like Ole Miss in the first year? If the Vols had an elite QB like Corral then maybe. I just don't see it.

That elite QB threw a lot of Interceptions last season, 5 or 6 in one game!

Kiffen's offense made him look elite just as Heupel's Offense will make our QB look elite.

That's not to say that Corral isn't a great QB because he is certainly a top5 SEC QB.

Two questions:
1. Where is this guy from? (Id guess Wisconsin with his accent).
2. Why is he making a prediction video about a team he obviously knows very little about?

The internet ruined sports journalism...

My take on this analyst. He likes Beer!

I’m expecting 4-5 wins. New system, razor thin at some positions and playing an SEC schedule there will always be injuries along the way. I think on here are completely delusional, and I hope you’re right and I’m wrong but I just don’t see it.

HB is not a flash player, but he is the kind of QB who makes enough plays to win. He does not get over confident or panic ridden, regardless of what is happening. Even if one of the others gets the nod as starter, I think HB will go the distance and bring the team up to winning again. This in no way discounts the other guys. Frankly, Maurer looks good to me. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts and wins several games.
If Maurer wins, ....someone is going to transfer

Reactions: Border Vol
I watched last season's Tennessee football team and that tells me enough you smartarse

View attachment 362413

So, watching last season's team you didn't realize that with average QB play, not great, not even good, just average QB play and we win 6-7 games? Good QB play we probably win 7-8. Gitmo killed us..........

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back