SIAP Schiano was going to bring Burrow with him

nlovu

Tennessee fired Butch Jones as its head coach and the Vols’ search for his replacement reached Schiano.

Tennessee fans displayed their displeasure of discussion that Schiano was set to become the Vols’ next head coach. Fans protested and voiced their displeasure on campus, social media and on sports talk shows.

According to former NFL general manager Mike Lombardi, Schiano was set to bring eventual Heisman Trophy and national championship quarterback Joe Burrow with him to Tennessee.

Greg Schiano was going to bring Joe Burrow to Tennessee if hired as head coach

I didn't want to hire Schiano but I hated the way we went about avoiding hiring him.

The problem is that we have T. Boone Pickens/Phil Knight type donor family (the Haslems) but unlike the latter two, they are totally incompetent. The sad thing is, I think the Haslems mean well, they just don't know how to make great decisions on how to run athletics.

Burrow would have been a nice get for TN but not at the expense of hiring Schiano.

Burrow is extremely talented and put up monster numbers but he was developed by Joe Brady.

Brady wasn’t coming to TN with Schiano. It all worked out for Burrow after Meyer evidently treated him like sh&$!!

Burrow is good but he was a member of a once in a lifetime team that played off the charts the entire season. Right place, right time. Everything clicked. Doesn't mean we would have seen the same freak season here.
Shiciano can kick rocks.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, BUT if Tenns AD at the time had of NOT USED Gruden rumors to keep the press and fans off his trail, while he worked a deal with Schiano, the hire would have worked out.. at the time.
But the AD thought he was being sly by using Gruden rumors as a screen to a Trophy Hire in his, and the Haslams, eyes..

The problem was up to about 3 hours before the UT plane, (Owned by the Haslams) was to have arrived with G Schiano on board, MOST Tennessee fans truly felt that John Gruden was going to step off that plane!

If the UT AD had of squelched the Gruden rumors say a week earlier, fans might have been open to the hire.. Fans werent as mad that it was Schiano, but were FURIOUS because most totally expected J Gruden as the hire.

Tennessee fired Butch Jones as its head coach and the Vols’ search for his replacement reached Schiano.

Tennessee fans displayed their displeasure of discussion that Schiano was set to become the Vols’ next head coach. Fans protested and voiced their displeasure on campus, social media and on sports talk shows.

According to former NFL general manager Mike Lombardi, Schiano was set to bring eventual Heisman Trophy and national championship quarterback Joe Burrow with him to Tennessee.

Burrow dodged a bullet.

I’ll believe that when I hear Joe Burrow say it.

Dan Harralson LOVES picking on the vols and stirring up crap. He’s an idiot and has no clue.

Why even write an article like this now…oh because of the fans last weekend and the pruitt story in the media. He just likes attention and clicks. He can go suck a kiffy stiffy

VN Store

Back