Shut up about recruiting, and listen

maxxx

I vividly remember being sent messages and blasted by volnation for trying to tell people that you can't win with just recruiting. Landing 4 and 5 stars is great, but they have to develop for a couple of years before you see the consistency you would like. This team should not be 0-2, but the facts remain that the best talent is in years 1-2. There is a reason why some of the top programs "expect" to redshirt incoming freshmen. They dont want players on the field until they are physically AND mentally ready for the rigors or Power 5 football. This staff is doing everything short of suiting up and taking snaps. It's all on the players at this point, and this is what you get when you trot out year 1-2 players.
Stop thinking 5 stars are the recipe for immediate success. Success will come when we dont have to rely on those 5 stars in year one.

I vividly remember being sent messages and blasted by volnation for trying to tell people that you can't win with just recruiting. Landing 4 and 5 stars is great, but they have to develop for a couple of years before you see the consistency you would like. This team should not be 0-2, but the facts remain that the best talent is in years 1-2. There is a reason why some of the top programs "expect" to redshirt incoming freshmen. They dont want players on the field until they are physically AND mentally ready for the rigors or Power 5 football. This staff is doing everything short of suiting up and taking snaps. It's all on the players at this point, and this is what you get when you trot out year 1-2 players.
Stop thinking 5 stars are the recipe for immediate success. Success will come when we dont have to rely on those 5 stars in year one.
Thank you for actually showing some logic and intelligence in your assessment. It is refreshing as so many on this don't put any thought into their posts.

We have no choice but to play them. By playing freshmen ELITE players EARLY.... it sends a very loud and clear message to potential recruits. Doesnt Bama plays 5 star freshmen (who start) every year...?.

We have no choice but to play them. By playing freshmen ELITE players EARLY.... it sends a very loud and clear message to potential recruits. Doesnt Bama plays 5 star freshmen (who start) every year...?.
Yes they do. But only a couple start, if that. Also, the freshman that do start are usually a surprise. Bama fans are not relying on them. If bama had Henry TT, they would have expected to have him sitting behind 2-3 guys in fall camp. Here, he was one injury away from having to be the man. That displays our lack of depth. Only a few years of recruiting can solve that. Most of the upperclassmen here dont fit what our coaches want. I'm hating this poop show we see right now, but we have to be real here. Years 3-4 are were expectations should be high, not year 2.

Sorry bud, no other program uses the youth and inexperience excuse for over 10 years like we do. These guys are worse than last year and even ended that on a low note. Throw in the fact we lost to inferior talent two weeks in a row definitely makes this not all on the players.

This has been our problem for the past decade. We recruit well but can’t get them developed. This was butch’s major downfall.

Reactions: Schasz
It’s this play not to lose mindset that’s destroyed our team. You play the most talented players at every position including QB regardless of class. If your most talented players are true Frosh you play them anyway bc that’s who you got. And you take your lumps while playing for the future. You don’t tee it up to lose with less talented upperclassmen bc they’re more experienced.

This is just HC CYA BS. This is Pruitt trying to save his own job at the expense of taking risks. He’d rather lose with upperclassmen that lose with freshmen.

Gutless imo.

Reactions: zydane47
Thank you for actually showing some logic and intelligence in your assessment. It is refreshing as so many on this don't put any thought into their posts.
Finally a few people that show some logic. If you had one or two freshman having to start you could mix them in and win on talent alone. You have over half the team playing as freshman. Give the man a chance and stop wanting to fire the coach, that is absurd. I agree we would be 2-0 with a average QB, but he is the best that we have this year. If you're only a Vol Fan when they win, then maybe you shouldn't be one at all. GO VOLS

Reactions: Pride85
Is op aware we lost to Georgia St and talent is not the reason why?

Is op aware freshman all over the country are doing great things?

Is op aware that Pruitt said JG is the best qb we have on the roster, despite Pruitt himself recruiting a qb that is currently on the roster?

Is op aware that most coaches considered good, have the most improvement in year two?

Sorry bud, no other program uses the youth and inexperience excuse for over 10 years like we do. These guys are worse than last year and even ended that on a low note. Throw in the fact we lost to inferior talent two weeks in a row definitely makes this not all on the players.

when you have a coaching carousel without establishing any semblance of cohesion or continuity you certainly can.

Is op aware we lost to Georgia St and talent is not the reason why?

Is op aware freshman all over the country are doing great things?

Is op aware that Pruitt said JG is the best qb we have on the roster, despite Pruitt himself recruiting a qb that is currently on the roster?

Is op aware that most coaches considered good, have the most improvement in year two?
I don't think they care either.

Reactions: volfannbama
Wait, wait, wait........so you telling me the team actually has to show up, play the game, score more, before they can win?

Exactly, what some don’t seem to understand is they were here 3 years ago spouting the same youth excuse. Ok geniuses, 3 years later those freshman you were saying just needed time to mature are seniors, so why the hell are they not worth a damn? It’s been a recurring cycle for 10 plus years with this team. I bought into the youth excuse several times years ago and I see the logic of it to a point. But again you can’t just keep saying that over and over when the youths on this team usually end up getting worse over their careers here. It takes proper coaching and development of the youth. Yep pruitts only in his second year so if you want to keep the hope alive that he can do it that’s fine. From what I’ve seen so far the only hope I have that he will turn this thing around is pure blind hope, nothing speaks to me logically and says “ yes I feel like we are heading in the right direction with Pruitt.” I sure would like to be wrong because I’m tired of being the butt of every joke during football season down here in South Georgia.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
yea dude I don’t think anyone disagrees with your rant. You can’t expect to win games while starting true freshman.. that’s obvious

There are plenty that disagree. You can't expect to win games starting true freshman? Plenty of programs do it.. Look no further than UGA. Fromm took them to a National Title game as a true freshman. He slapped us around to the tune of 41-0 as a true freshman!!! Heck, Cade Mays started for them as a true freshman.. Enough with the stupid excuses. We are the laughing stock of college football.

You teach guys coming from winning high school programs how to lose you are so right

Two of the best performances in both games were Gray and To’o To’o. Both true freshmen. 🤔
Ty was and is our best back / a middle linebacker that the Dline keeps clean should be the leading tackler when teams are running the ball down your backside.Both are going to be great player but what he is saying they shoudnt have to play when we get all the way right and winning those players get redshirted.

Yes they do. But only a couple start, if that. Also, the freshman that do start are usually a surprise. Bama fans are not relying on them. If bama had Henry TT, they would have expected to have him sitting behind 2-3 guys in fall camp. Here, he was one injury away from having to be the man. That displays our lack of depth. Only a few years of recruiting can solve that. Most of the upperclassmen here dont fit what our coaches want. I'm hating this poop show we see right now, but we have to be real here. Years 3-4 are were expectations should be high, not year 2.

FYI - Alabama currently has 6 true freshmen STARTING this year. That's what they do every year. The guys from 4 years ago are now Juniors/Seniors with 4-5 years under their belt. Tennessee used to do the exact same thing not that long ago. We had the "next man up" mentality. Year in and year out...If you as a coach have to spend every waking hour developing 4-5* players (beyond the basics) which is exactly what we are doing.....something is off. SOmeone (Butch) was horrible at evaluating talent. I'd venture to say most of Butch recruits were MISEVALUATED and were really 2 star players.

FYI - Alabama currently has 6 true freshmen STARTING this year. That's what they do every year. The guys from 4 years ago are now Juniors/Seniors with 4-5 years under their belt. Tennessee used to do the exact same thing not that long ago. We had the "next man up" mentality. Year in and year out...If you as a coach have to spend every waking hour developing 4-5* players (beyond the basics) which is exactly what we are doing.....something is off. SOmeone (Butch) was horrible at evaluating talent. I'd venture to say most of Butch recruits were MISEVALUATED and were really 2 star players.

This kills me, the recruiting services and other coaches missed on only our players argument. Nope, the players weren't developed under Butch and have had 22 months with Pruitt and aren't any better for it with him either. We've seen a 10 year trend of people coming in and looking great as freshmen but never seeming to get any better the longer into their careers they get. Lane Kiffin was the last guy that made a big difference in a short time with player development.

This kills me, the recruiting services and other coaches missed on only our players argument. Nope, the players weren't developed under Butch and have had 22 months with Pruitt and aren't any better for it with him either. We've seen a 10 year trend of people coming in and looking great as freshmen but never seeming to get any better the longer into their careers they get. Lane Kiffin was the last guy that made a big difference in a short time with player development.

Exactly...we signed alot of (basically) Sunbelt level talent FOR YEARS.....hoping we could squeeze water out of the rock. We cant.....As far as the recruiting services missing on our players only....look out on the field on Saturdays if you need a real world example.

VN Store

Back