Shoulder surgery advice

TnWalker

So I'm having rotator cuff surgery on my dominant (right) arm in a couple of weeks. My wife is stay-at-home, so I do have someone available to help me.

Does anyone have any experience that I can learn from? Any tips or preparations I need to make ahead of time?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: jakeaaal
Don't wear any kind of pullover shirt when you arrive for surgery. Otherwise when you leave, you may be shirtless. I just went around shirtless for 2 day after I had shoulder surgery. When you wake up you'll probably be in an arm sling. Wear a button down or something you can at least half wear or drape over yourself if they don't put you in your shirt while you're still out.

I'm guessing your appointment is already set and you'll be under general anesthesia. But I'd recommend earliest time possible in the day. They'll probably ask you to have no water or food after midnight the night before surgery. My app time was 1pm and I felt like crap because I hadn't had anything to eat or drink since the night before.

If they ask if you want a pain block before the procedure say yes. Also if you have access to a cold therapy system(fancy ice pack) get it and use it. As the block wears off there will be some pain and discomfort.

Follow the surgeons post-op instructions. Don’t do too much too soon. Remember that you are trying to get the tendon to heal back to the bone and it’s held in place with suture. It takes a few weeks for that healing to take place. You definitely don’t want to have a revision surgery.

Good luck.

If they ask if you want a pain block before the procedure say yes. Also if you have access to a cold therapy system(fancy ice pack) get it and use it. As the block wears off there will be some pain and discomfort.

Follow the surgeons post-op instructions. Don’t do too much too soon. Remember that you are trying to get the tendon to heal back to the bone and it’s held in place with suture. It takes a few weeks for that healing to take place. You definitely don’t want to have a revision surgery.

Good luck.
That block was heaven when I had my last knee surgery. Was dragging a dead limb around for 24hrs but there was no pain like previous surgeries. Didn't have to pop those pills

So I'm having rotator cuff surgery on my dominant (right) arm in a couple of weeks. My wife is stay-at-home, so I do have someone available to help me.

Does anyone have any experience that I can learn from? Any tips or preparations I need to make ahead of time?

Thanks in advance.
Make sure you have a comfortable recliner/armchair. That will be your temporary bed

PT here so deal with this all the time. Biggest thing early on is take it easy, don’t overdo it. Wear your sling. Take pain meds as prescribed but stay ahead of the pain. I hear people all the time afraid or not wanting to take pain meds, which I get, but it’s there for a reason. It’ll be a tough couple weeks, but you’ll make it through. Lastly, I’m obviously biased, but do your therapy once initiated by surgeon. Strength will come, getting range of motion is key.

PT here so deal with this all the time. Biggest thing early on is take it easy, don’t overdo it. Wear your sling. Take pain meds as prescribed but stay ahead of the pain. I hear people all the time afraid or not wanting to take pain meds, which I get, but it’s there for a reason. It’ll be a tough couple weeks, but you’ll make it through. Lastly, I’m obviously biased, but do your therapy once initiated by surgeon. Strength will come, getting range of motion is key.
this x1000

its great you started learning the wiping portion. I didnt. The most humiliating thing I done was after that first time on the pot. It dawned on me....I cant wipe. I had to look my wife dead in the eye and tell her "this is the most embarrassing thing I've ever asked but will you wipe me." Without missing a beat she just said "yep". I'm not sure I could do it for her.

You'll need help putting on pants and tying shoes as well.

Reactions: TnWalker
Day 0:
Well, surgery was today and I'm comfortably sitting in my recliner. Comfortable, because the nerve block hasn't worn off yet. I'm keeping up with my meds just so I don't get behind. Wife is wonderful, I don't deserve her.

Most of today was spent watching TV and being on my phone. Didn't really take a nap once my anesthesia wore off at 10:30 a.m. I'm tired now, but I have my alarm set for 2:00 a.m. so I can stay ahead of the pain.

We'll see what tomorrow holds. I'm fairly certain I will not enjoy it. And we'll see how coherent I am. Thank you all for the advice!

Edited to add:
Numbness in index finger and thumb all day. Mild throat soreness from intubation. Mild nausea. Feel like I can't get a full breath.

Discomfort level: 2

Last edited:
Day 0:
Well, surgery was today and I'm comfortably sitting in my recliner. Comfortable, because the nerve block hasn't worn off yet. I'm keeping up with my meds just so I don't get behind. Wife is wonderful, I don't deserve her.

Most of today was spent watching TV and being on my phone. Didn't really take a nap once my anesthesia wore off at 10:30 a.m. I'm tired now, but I have my alarm set for 2:00 a.m. so I can stay ahead of the pain.

We'll see what tomorrow holds. I'm fairly certain I will not enjoy it. And we'll see how coherent I am. Thank you all for the advice!

Edited to add:
Numbness in index finger and thumb all day. Mild throat soreness from intubation. Mild nausea. Feel like I can't get a full breath.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Good on you staying ahead of the pain.

Day 0:

Edited to add:

Good luck. Hopefully soon you'll just need tylenol for a few days.

don't let the block wear off without some pain killers in your system. Also advise getting off them as soon as you can.

Just check your dosage on painkillers, my husband didn't have as strong as his mother when she was alive. It is important to take something for pain so you can rest and be ready for rehab. Aleve regular and pm also worked ok after the first week after surgery.

Rehab is important, wear the sling made for shoulder surgery, has large padded body support and fits snugly. Don’t drive for a month.
And more rehabilitation. My best range of motion excerise was walking my fingers up and down the wall, you will end up good as new.
Best of luck and GBO

Day 1:
So I'm not sure if a chronicle of my journey would be helpful to others who may have to undergo rotator cuff surgery. I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to bore folks around here either.

Day one after surgery consisted of increasing pain as the nerve block wore off. I remained in my sling all day and used the cold therapy machine on and off throughout the day. The pain leveled off as a dull ache, not throbbing pain, but constantly there.

I was able to take a couple of naps, which was helpful, but sleep through the night was a little more difficult last night.

Discomfort level: 4

Day 2:
Today was my first physical therapy appointment. I took my pain medication about 30 minutes before my appointment and arrived with an oversized shirt loosely buttoned over my sling. The first activity consisted of removing my sling and putting my shirt on, which was easier than expected. I learned that my tear was a small one and that my bicep tendon did not need reparation. This means I can do the equivalent of a curl with no weight, which I would not have been able to do had the bicep tendon needed work.

I was given six exercises that I need to perform three to five times per day. They do not want me experiencing pain... if it's painful I need to stop doing it. Per the recommendations from this board, I am not going to overdo it. I'm taking it slow.

When I got home from my appointment, I immediately applied the cold therapy and that's where I am right now. My pain level remains where it was last night - a constant ache. I will update this post if things change throughout the day.

Reactions: davethevol and Danl
Day 2:
Today was my first physical therapy appointment. I took my pain medication about 30 minutes before my appointment and arrived with an oversized shirt loosely buttoned over my sling. The first activity consisted of removing my sling and putting my shirt on, which was easier than expected. I learned that my tear was a small one and that my bicep tendon did not need reparation. This means I can do the equivalent of a curl with no weight, which I would not have been able to do had the bicep tendon needed work.

I was given six exercises that I need to perform three to five times per day. They do not want me experiencing pain... if it's painful I need to stop doing it. Per the recommendations from this board, I am not going to overdo it. I'm taking it slow.

When I got home from my appointment, I immediately applied the cold therapy and that's where I am right now. My pain level remains where it was last night - a constant ache. I will update this post if things change throughout the day.

I’ve had two on the same shoulder one was to fix the problem and one to break lose the scar tissue because I didn’t follow at home PT with my bands ( I went to PT every day like I was supposed to , thought that was enough ) . Please do what they tell you to , you don’t want them to go back in and break the scar tissue lose . That one hurt me twice as much as the first one did . Hang in there , it will get better .

VN Store

Back