Should we give a nickname to the Vandy/Tennessee game?

I'm in your court, I freaking despise Vandy more than any other school in the SEC. They rank up there with tOSU, ND, and any Pac 12 wuss ass team.

I consider them minutely above the level I consider most any soccer team in the world. The only exception is the Lady Vols soccer team. I may not go see them play, but being Vols, I won't stand in their way at a McDonalds drink station.

That garbage sport only gets interesting in the event of a disaster or terrorist attack. Now, if Vanderbilt fields a soccer team? They ain't got a prayer with me.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
More off season pablum but possibly a fun conversation piece I ask a simple question: Should the UT/Vandy game get it's own name and if so what would you name it?

Before you think I am crazy lets remember this is one of the oldest games in the nation. It is one year older than the Iron bowl with the first match up in 1892 and other than a few years for a little thing called World War II has been played 112 times. Granted most of those 112 times was our beloved Vols beating the snot out of the nerds with a record of 75–33–5 but the last few years have been a little different and I find myself actually wanting to curb stomp those smug little Commodores.

So we have an Iron bowl, an egg bowl, the Red River shootout, the Holy War, The Worlds largest outdoor cocktail party, Backyard brawl, Bedlam, etc. What do we call our game with our brothers out in the Music City?
We have one. It's called we suck again

Reactions: Titan05
The "Our State" Bowl; since whoever wins seems to go to social media and proclaims Tennessee "their" state.

Hearkening back to the 1860's, it can be called "The Late Unpleasantness".

The fact that it's more than an afterthought and a bowl practice/scrimmage? Only one proper response...

giphy.gif

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I'm in your court, I freaking despise Vandy more than any other school in the SEC. They rank up there with tOSU, ND, and any Pac 12 wuss ass team.
The fact that you despise them means we are doing something wrong. Vandy is the team you're supposed to feel sorry for after you beat the absolute hell out of them. The fact that we give a damn about Vanderbilt says something about how far we've fallen.

First of all, when all axis of the world are properly aligned, the UT game IS Vandy's bowl game....!!

Reactions: ksgovols
The fact that you despise them means we are doing something wrong. Vandy is the team you're supposed to feel sorry for after you beat the absolute hell out of them. The fact that we give a damn about Vanderbilt says something about how far we've fallen.
I've despised Candy as long as I have been a Vol Fan. Went to Vol State for two years and we had an "acquaintance" go to Vandy from our group. The SOB was an insufferable *******. They don't deserve to be in the SEC and should belong in the Ivy League or somewhere. I remember when their players were allowed to go to Austin Peay and take classes that counted toward a degree at Candy. It says nothing about our team, just my dislike for the little step sister in the state.

Neyland put an end to this game being a rivalry game for Vol fans. As for the Vandy folks, sure they hate us, I just don’t get the hate Vol fans have for Vandy. Other than it being a no win game for us they just don’t matter. They are like Memphis(Not sure which program is insulted more by the comparison. Most likely they both would take it as a compliment.) except we have played them more.

Middle East Showdown

Reactions: Bjorn_Yesterday
Brothers Hell. As far as I am concerned, the area that makes up the Vanderbilt campus is a third world country, and I am awaiting legislature declaring it not a part of the state of Tennessee.

And somebody needs to call Adam Sparks and Joe Rexrode at the Tennessean and clue them in that spotting Vanderbilt fans in East Tennessee is a greater shot in the dark than going out in the woods trying to site a Sasquatch. So, quit trying to act like we should care; WE DON'T!

The only thing giving this legs is the Vols have endured a state of......suckage for the last 13 to 14 years. Just because Vanderbilt has chosen to rise slightly above their usual level of suckage during that time is no reason to make more of it than it is. It ain't worth naming. And this conversation was less fun than my last root canal. Next time you get this bored, go find the medic bus and donate blood. I don't think you are crazy; you just erased all doubt.

Edit: And when you donate blood? ALL OF IT!

Vandy will always be Tennessee's little brother.

Neyland put an end to this game being a rivalry game for Vol fans. As for the Vandy folks, sure they hate us, I just don’t get the hate Vol fans have for Vandy. Other than it being a no win game for us they just don’t matter. They are like Memphis(Not sure which program is insulted more by the comparison. Most likely they both would take it as a compliment.) except we have played them more.

Middle East Showdown
The really sad thing I've noticed over the last few years is Vols fans incessantly making fun of their stadium/facilities, particularly after they beat us. It reminds me of fans of Big Ten schools, after an SEC school wins another title or a big game over a Big Ten school, saying stuff like "but the SEC is so bad at academics!" It is such a hokey and pathetic thing to say.

They aren't even trying to have elite facilities or football program. Why make fun of them? The fact that we are 2-5 since 2012 against them is beyond embarrassing, and only 1 of the losses was close. Perhaps the most embarrassing stat you can come up with over the last decade plus.

Reactions: Titan05 and MocVol
The really sad thing I've noticed over the last few years is Vols fans incessantly making fun of their stadium/facilities, particularly after they beat us. It reminds me of fans of Big Ten schools, after an SEC school wins another title or a big game over a Big Ten school, saying stuff like "but the SEC is so bad at academics!" It is such a hokey and pathetic thing to say.

They aren't even trying to have elite facilities or football program. Why make fun of them? The fact that we are 2-5 since 2012 against them is beyond embarrassing, and only 1 of the losses was close. Perhaps the most embarrassing stat you can come up with over the last decade plus.
To say that losing to them is the most embarrassing thing to happen over kthe last decade is making fun of them.

The embarrassment is our level of play over that past few years. I expect CJP&S to get that corrected in 2019

Reactions: BucksnortVol
To say that losing to them is the most embarrassing thing to happen over kthe last decade is making fun of them.

The embarrassment is our level of play over that past few years. I expect CJP&S to get that corrected in 2019
It's simply a statement of fact. Look at the relative resources of both programs. 100% of Vandy's own fans would tell you it's embarrassing for Tennessee to lose to them 5 times in a 7 year period.

I'll make fun of them by saying a loss to them is an embarrassment, not bash their stadium. They just kicked our ass, again, and a lot of the immediate reaction from VolTwitter was making fun of how small their stadium was.

Reactions: Titan05
It's simply a statement of fact. Look at the relative resources of both programs. 100% of Vandy's own fans would tell you it's embarrassing for Tennessee to lose to them 5 times in a 7 year period.

I'll make fun of them by saying a loss to them is an embarrassment, not bash their stadium. They just kicked our ass, again, and a lot of the immediate reaction from VolTwitter was making fun of how small their stadium was.

Is one way of making fun of them better than another? Even if a fan is only stating facts.

Is one way of making fun of them better than another? Even if a fan is only stating facts.
"You're stadium sucks" is just a petty, lazy, and stupid insult that's also an opinion. Vanderbilt isn't even trying to have an elite facility there, much less one that competes with Tennessee's.

It essentially is a statement of fact that a program with Vandy's resources and commitment beating Tennessee 5 out of 7 years is embarrassing. When someone who isn't even attempting to compete on your playing field is consistently beating you, that's embarrassing.

"You're stadium sucks" is just a petty, lazy, and stupid insult that's also an opinion. Vanderbilt isn't even trying to have an elite facility there, much less one that competes with Tennessee's.

It essentially is a statement of fact that a program with Vandy's resources and commitment beating Tennessee 5 out of 7 years is embarrassing. When someone who isn't even attempting to compete on your playing field is consistently beating you, that's embarrassing.
Don’t get me wrong, their Stadium is small, just like it is an embarrassment to UT to get beat by them. I just don’t see either insult being a higher class insult than the other.

VN Store

Back