Should we be nervous..

It's no secret that he wasn't helping us out by nudging any non-USC prospects our way. Some say he was actively discouraging kids from coming here even though he knew he wouldn't sign them. I don't know the truth of the matter but I will be highly disappointed and inclined to believe the worst if CTM doesn't land us some big fish this class.

Well their WR board doesn't look great at the moment.

Very bleak looking ... at this point in 2013, we had at least six 4-star busts committed!

(I kid, I kid!)

It's only May. And 247 has us in the top 25 with four 4+ star commits already. Our 3-star RB could pretty easily get a ratings boost, as well.

Pruitt has taken the exact opposite approach to Butch on recruiting. He seems to take his time rather than obsessing with public perception. I think Butch was happy to sign any 4-star just because it was good publicity, but that led to a large number of duds; or alternatively, situations where players transferred (see Daniel Helm).

I don't claim to know how we'll finish, but no reason to be worried in May. And many of the teams ranked above us are ahead mostly on volume anyway (e.g. Northwestern, Iowa, UNC, GT).

The spring evaluation period runs through the end of the month. After that and the summer camp bumps, things will pick up as the coaches decide which offers are committable. Pruitt found some guys at camps last year that weren't even on most people's radar. Look for that again this year. And some of our big targets will be announcing this summer. Late May into early August-- that's when things start rolling.

Currently, we are around 30th and 10th in the sec. Please tell me we’re gonna do better than this before this class is done? Seems like to me we’re always “in the top 4-6” but the top guys seem to always pick another school? Are we gonna get it turned around?
It’s coaching time. We don’t get 7 wins and a bowl, it won’t mean s...

FYP

This is 1985 all over again

Oh, God if that were only true. Sugar Vols, Reagan, incredible economy, beat the $#@! out of communists in Central America, and my black, 4-speed, high-output (chick-magnet) Trans Am. Nope, not a redneck (no Rebel flags) - but had a lot of fun.

Worried? Let's see what's on board so far...
QB with Tyler Bray arm talent..
RB with Jeremy Banks size & Ty speed..
A Nick Saban edge rusher..
A top247 d tackle..
A Jeremy Pruitt hand picked corner..
A 6'2 ballhawk JUCO corner..
And about to land a 6'3 instate DB that would usually be LSU bound.
And this is all before June, around the time Butch usually takes 15 three stars at orange carpet day.

But.....you can’t win without the horses. So it doesn’t seem that simple at all, at least not at Tennessee.

I didn't mean we had to win 10 games this year. We cant keep going 5-7 and expect a top 5 class, and act surprised when we keep finishing second for recruits like Ratledge. Need to win 7 at least this year and look more competitive against Bammer. I think this staff can and will get good enough players to win with. But the two go hand in hand.

We’ll make a push in the early signing period again and finish top 12-15 again. Hopefully this staff can earn its money through player development. Just don’t see it being elite in recruiting, not likely to pull top 5 classes. Can still win at a high level, see Clemson.
If Butch Jones can, I think this staff can...

Currently, we are around 30th and 10th in the sec. Please tell me we’re gonna do better than this before this class is done? Seems like to me we’re always “in the top 4-6” but the top guys seem to always pick another school? Are we gonna get it turned around?
Now that our two JUCO's are ranked we're 19th nationally and 6th in the SEC on Rivals.

A couple of years ago, the insiders told us not to worry about early signing day and CJP coaching Bama in the playoffs because we still had Feb. That didn't turn out so well. I don't think fans understand how the time line has been accelerated. The top programs that some of our coaches came from are doing more than fine without them so I think it's completely unrealistic to think that their past service is a selling point. Most of the guys on our staff were recruiting against us 18 months ago, or less, and it's probably tough to walk back what they told recruits as employees of other programs. Someone probably should've thought about that when deciding who would replace Butch.

Our staff recruiting for their previous school has no bearing on what they tell recruits. They still see them on coming to play for them. Most recruits committ to Coach's more than a school. It wouldn't have mattered who we hired, the coach would have been recruiting to his previous school. Thats why you see so many de commits when a coach goes somewhere else. It hasn't hurt Kirby Smart, Mullen,Tom Herman, Jimbo Fisher etc with their staffs and them having recruited elsewhere before taking their current jobs. Coaching changes happen yearly and in big numbers, so it's not gonna affect TN any differently. Previous recruiting and coaching success is a huge recruiting tool.

CJP was still recruiting kids to TN when he was coaching Ala in the playoff. He was hired so close to the early signing period that it was never going to be a great class. We still finished in the top 20 and almost 80% of that class committed to CJP and his staff.

I'm still flabbergasted that some fans think that UT had its pick of top-tier CFB coaches, but "settled" for Pruitt. To call that delusional is being kind.

What out-of-touch fans like OP don't realize is that if Pruitt's gone in two years, then UT is going to be scraping the bottom of the CFB coaching barrel for candidates. Pruitt needs to have some success to turn this program around, whether its 8 wins or 12 wins.

We wont ever have to scrape the bottom for a HC. Just like GA hiring Kirby. No different that us hiring Pruitt. Neither had ever been a HC and had very similar Assistant Coaching Resumes. Actually Pruitt's was more impressive than Kirby's. Look at Ohio St..Did they go hire an elite,accomplished HC to replace Meyer ? Absolutely not. Did Fla when Spurrier or Urban left? Nope they had Zook, Strong,Muschamp and Mcelwain. I wouldn't call Mullen an elite HC either. Fla St didn't, USC didn't, Clemson didn't, We didn't with Fulmer, LSU definitely didn't, Auburn didn't etc. Ala didn't with Curry,Shula,Perkins,Stallings or Debose. They got lucky with Saban after Mike Riley, Rich Rod and others turned them down and was right place, right time with Saban the 2nd run.

Pruitt's resume was better than Smart's, Dabo,Strong,Fulmer,Muschamp( when Fla hired him),Zook,Debose,Shula, Point is very rarely are big name, elite HC's hired for elite jobs. CJP was a very good hire. I dont believe we have any more yrs below 500 with him here. Will he win Championships? Who knows. But from a recruiting standpoint, our staff is as good as it gets. When we start winning ,then battling for the #1 class should become the norm.

Very bleak looking ... at this point in 2013, we had at least six 4-star busts committed!

(I kid, I kid!)

It's only May. And 247 has us in the top 25 with four 4+ star commits already. Our 3-star RB could pretty easily get a ratings boost, as well.

Pruitt has taken the exact opposite approach to Butch on recruiting. He seems to take his time rather than obsessing with public perception. I think Butch was happy to sign any 4-star just because it was good publicity, but that led to a large number of duds; or alternatively, situations where players transferred (see Daniel Helm).

I don't claim to know how we'll finish, but no reason to be worried in May. And many of the teams ranked above us are ahead mostly on volume anyway (e.g. Northwestern, Iowa, UNC, GT).
Helm transferred because Jones made him write “I am a p***y” 100 times or somethin because Helm didn’t cooperate when Jones told the team to start chop blocking to “take out their knees...” Believe it was vs Bama. Just another delightful story from the Butch era.

Our staff recruiting for their previous school has no bearing on what they tell recruits. They still see them on coming to play for them. Most recruits committ to Coach's more than a school. It wouldn't have mattered who we hired, the coach would have been recruiting to his previous school. Thats why you see so many de commits when a coach goes somewhere else. It hasn't hurt Kirby Smart, Mullen,Tom Herman, Jimbo Fisher etc with their staffs and them having recruited elsewhere before taking their current jobs. Coaching changes happen yearly and in big numbers, so it's not gonna affect TN any differently. Previous recruiting and coaching success is a huge recruiting tool.

CJP was still recruiting kids to TN when he was coaching Ala in the playoff. He was hired so close to the early signing period that it was never going to be a great class. We still finished in the top 20 and almost 80% of that class committed to CJP and his staff.
I'm trying to recall all the kids who decomitted from Bama to join us when we hired CJP andi'm waiting on those UGA decommits who are following Chaney. Hiring these plug and play assistants from dynasty-type programs is more often than not fools' gold because in those cases, it is the program and head coach that kids are committing to and not a position coach or coordinator.

I'm trying to recall all the kids who decomitted from Bama to join us when we hired CJP andi'm waiting on those UGA decommits who are following Chaney. Hiring these plug and play assistants from dynasty-type programs is more often than not fools' gold because in those cases, it is the program and head coach that kids are committing to and not a position coach or coordinator.
Nobody's happier for ammo against Pruitt than you right?

Nobody's happier for ammo against Pruitt than you right?
I just find it odd that Tennessee somehow has to be the exception to all the generalizations that would in any way imply we made a poor hire or are not building back towards national title contention. I said at the time of the hire that Pruitt would not last and nothing I've seen thus far changes my mind. However, I am open to considering any new factual information that presents itself. End of the day, I want the Vols to win every game they play and sign every recruit at the top of their board no matter who the coach is.

We wont ever have to scrape the bottom for a HC. Just like GA hiring Kirby. No different that us hiring Pruitt. Neither had ever been a HC and had very similar Assistant Coaching Resumes. Actually Pruitt's was more impressive than Kirby's. Look at Ohio St..Did they go hire an elite,accomplished HC to replace Meyer ? Absolutely not. Did Fla when Spurrier or Urban left? Nope they had Zook, Strong,Muschamp and Mcelwain. I wouldn't call Mullen an elite HC either. Fla St didn't, USC didn't, Clemson didn't, We didn't with Fulmer, LSU definitely didn't, Auburn didn't etc. Ala didn't with Curry,Shula,Perkins,Stallings or Debose. They got lucky with Saban after Mike Riley, Rich Rod and others turned them down and was right place, right time with Saban the 2nd run.

Pruitt's resume was better than Smart's, Dabo,Strong,Fulmer,Muschamp( when Fla hired him),Zook,Debose,Shula, Point is very rarely are big name, elite HC's hired for elite jobs. CJP was a very good hire. I dont believe we have any more yrs below 500 with him here. Will he win Championships? Who knows. But from a recruiting standpoint, our staff is as good as it gets. When we start winning ,then battling for the #1 class should become the norm.
Either you have not really compared the two or Bless your heart.

VN Store

Back