Should UT voluntarily eliminate postseason with some 'ships to clean up NCAA mess?

Something tells me that we don't need to worry about banning post season play this year. It would be a nice thing (post season play) to see happen.....But I don't see it this year. I see progress in the offense and 4 wins (which is better than last year) and hopefully a defense that can defend the slants.
That's kinda the point. We are "sacrificing" a post season bowl in a season where we may not make a post season bowl. So it looks like we are complying with the NCAA while not really losing anything substantial. Because we aren't going to a New Years' Six bowl anyway.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
That is the NCAA's M.O. - Punish the hell out of beaten down P5 teams and non P5 teams while turning a blind eye to elite programs...

Yep. If Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama did the exact same thing Tennessee would get a worse punishment out of the three, guaranteed.

Yep. If Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama did the exact same thing Tennessee would get a worse punishment out of the three, guaranteed.

In 2008, Memphis and Kansas basketball both played an ineligible player who could not spell Dog if you spotted them the D and the O. One team got punished and had to vacate a bunch of stuff. The other team received no punishment. Wanna guess who got off?

So it looks like we are complying with the NCAA while not really losing anything substantial. Because we aren't going to a New Years' Six bowl anyway.
A bowl ban also means the school will not receive a share of the SEC bowl payout. That was about $8 million a season for Ole Miss.

Nah. Pin the tail on the Pruitt and hope it sticks.

If we are competitive and do make a bowl game, VN will roast the administration for the self-imposed ban.

After the UNC scandal and their handling of the NCAA. UT shouldn't freely give up $h!+
I agree. We have given up enough...The NCAA is still hasn't addressed LSU, Auburn, and others. I would tie their hands up legally so it would be drawn out for years. Kansas Arizona just other programs doing equally if not worse.

Well, my question would be, if we gave up this season for a bowl game, and say that we win, then they don’t do anything then I say we just punished ourselves. What if they punish us in 2022-2023, and not 2021?

Are you kidding me? This team will be lucky to win 4 games this year. There is no way this team will be bowl eligible. More than likely we will be 3-9

I don't think we should start punishing ourselves. Look at the beating the team and the school has already taken. Let them do their job and see how much the want to punish the innocent. It might be less severe in the long run. Self punishment is stupid unless there is an agreement that that's as far as it goes.

Are you kidding me? This team will be lucky to win 4 games this year. There is no way this team will be bowl eligible. More than likely we will be 3-9
Got to have some confidence with Heupel. I think we will be just fine. I think we get to a bowl game this year.

I had assumed that if we are even bowl eligible at the end of this season, we would opt out in an effort to curtail whatever sanctions the NCAA might hand down. That would be 2 years in a row, not going to a bowl. I can't imagine the NCAA wanting to enforce anything more severe than that, at least in terms of bowl games.

As for scholarship reductions, I mean we're already 16 scholly's short on this team and I don't know if we are even planning on signing 25 in the 2022 signing class.

They probably won't have a decision until 2027 so I wouldn't do anything. They have a LSU coach on a FBI tape admitting paying players and nothing has been done to date and that was well over a year ago. The NCAA is incapable of handing down timely decisions so I don't know why at this point you would volunteer anything. It's sad, the school had done it's job, found out it had a problem and fired ones involved. You would think a timely ruling would happen. North Carolina got it's wrist slapped for covering up a academic scandal and Miami never got anything for buying players and everything else under the sun and LSU basketball coach is still coaching after admitting on a tape they bought players. The NCAA is too slow and inept, it's become a farce. GBO!!!!!

Irregular poster, 90's graduate that has been watching this situation from afar since giving up season tickets in 2017. Hoping, praying, contemplated sacrificing first born (well maybe a limb) to see some progression back to the "good 'ole days".

All kidding aside, it seems that some programs have had some success with a plan to vacate some scholly's and postseason play to get ahead of sanctions imposed by the NCAA. Does any pragmatist/realist have faith that we can get any kind of substantial traction this season to even worry about a sacrifice of this nature? Admittedly, UT cut ties with the HC and some players (albeit for selfish intentions I'm afraid) so would this move even be warranted? Just interested to see the consensus of this board, but with McDonald's bags of cash to animal abuse, regaining institutional control with a sound proactive plan by our AD and compliance department makes strategic sense.

jim-mora-playoffsjpg-6553f3b198edb26c.jpg

That's kinda the point. We are "sacrificing" a post season bowl in a season where we may not make a post season bowl. So it looks like we are complying with the NCAA while not really losing anything substantial. Because we aren't going to a New Years' Six bowl anyway.

I don't see it being a sacrifice when you can't make it to post season play. That's like talking about a bus ride to a park when you can't even board the bus. We won't even be given the chance to walk to the park!
Sacrifice in my world is not that....And not reality.

Last edited:
I don't see it being a sacrifice when you can't make it to post season play. That's like talking about a bus ride to a park when you can't even board the bus. We won't even be given the chance to walk to the park!
Sacrifice in my world is not that....And not reality.
It doesn't matter how you or I see, it matters how the NCAA will view it. If the NCAA thinks we are giving something up, the hope is that they will not pile on more than what we are "sacrificing".

If Tennessee goes 7&5 or 6&6 they will go to a bowl unless we volunteer to skip any bowl game this year.

VN Store

Back