Should the Volunteers leadership have tried to hide the recruiting violations?

Should our leadership have hidden the violations? And why didn't they?

• Leadership should have hidden the violations from the world; they went public to avoid buyout

Votes: 50 19.9%
  • Leadership should have hidden the violations; but avoiding buyout wasn't their motivation

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Leadership did the right thing admitting the violations; they did it to avoid Pruitt buyout

Votes: 83 33.1%
  • Leadership did the right thing admitting the violations; the buyout was not their motivation

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • I don't have a clear opinion on these two questions

Votes: 23 9.2%

• Total voters
I lean on the side that the Admin did the right thing by being forthcoming. But, I’m still gonna be pissed if the NCAA hits us beyond our own self sanctions. New AD and compliance staff will earn their keep if they convince NCAA dogs from hitting us harshly.

BTW, my guess is that UT is purposely signing less than 25 initial counters in ‘20-‘21, and will be using this signing shortage as one of our biggest self sanctions. (My guess will go out the window if we sign several transfers in the coming weeks.)

I have no problem with the person going to Chancellor with the issue. My problem has always been the leak to the media. With this action, all the coaching hires had to be made through the lens of what our competitors provided. Hence the thought we had someone only to find out the last minute discussion with their current team yielded a different response.

What should have happened is the Chancellor started the investigation internally, hired the law firm if needed, and advised anyone from the media who happen to inquire about it that we have a Compliance Department internally that deals with all NCAA issues and we also do not comment on any current, potential, or hypothetical investigations until completed. Hence the media would find out after the internal investigation was finished like Florida's NCAA investigation.

Unfortunately, now we will have similar problems with HS recruits we are convincing to sign in December having to navigate around whatever Smart, Saban, Mullen, or Dabo might be telling them about our program. They will have a blank canvas to paint whatever picture is appropriate in their eyes.

Reactions: FïreBall
It’s going to be hard to tell until everything comes out whether we found violations and freaked out to mitigate the damage or if we used them as an opportunity the get out of a contract.

This is mostly opinion.

-Not everybody ($) wanted Fulmer in as AD.
-There were some of those same people that didn't like him also didn't like Pruitt. And not just as a coach. He pissed off some of the wrong people.
-Fulmer wasn't firing Pruitt for going 3-7 this year and Plowman nor Boyd were going to force his hand for that reason either.
-The only way Pruitt was getting fired was for a situation like the one that unfolded. Which also meant Fulmer was probably gone with him. There really wasn't a way to do that other than the way it was done.
-I think the buyout was a convenient byproduct of him being attached to the situation.

Reality is, had he been in the middle of a 7-3 or 8-2 record in his 3rd season, this button doesn't get pushed. He opened the door by not being very well liked and then falling on his face.

I don’t think they had any choice to disclose the violations. Rumors are flying as it is.

Not paying Peanut head his buyout was extra benefit. That guy may go down as the worst head coach in SEC history

I don’t think the buyout was the sole factor of self reporting but I believe it was discussed. They did the right thing regardless.

Go VOLS

Reactions: N.ohio vol
To have a valid opinion, we need to know the specifics!!! Who did what? Buyout nor NCAA at this point does not matter!

Do people believe that UT didn't pay players or recruits before Pruitt and/or they won't continue to pay players or recruits after Pruitt?

Every school does it. Even Mississippi State does it.

Seems to me that Tennessee ratted itself out to get out of a buyout.

Whether it's right or not, to compete you have to have the same advantages that other schools have.

If Tennessee tried to right the ship then we would probably recruit as well as Vanderbilt.

That's basically what Tennessee is now. Just better facilities.

It almost feels that they wanted Fulmer out as well. The only way to somewhat force both was to proceed with the investigation. Honestly probably should have fired Pruitt after the GAST debacle. I get that might have been a little premature. Although the lack of fight from the team from the start was pretty obvious.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
It almost feels that they wanted Fulmer out as well. The only way to somewhat force both was to proceed with the investigation. Honestly probably should have fired Pruitt after the GAST debacle. I get that might have been a little premature. Although the lack of fight from the team from the start was pretty obvious.
. Ridiculous. You know what happens when you cheat and get caught and then deny it. Fired and in the case of Pearl, a 3 year show cause. Plain stupid.

As long as it's just a rumor or scuttlebutt, you can ignore it. Once it comes to a manager as a formal complaint or issue you have to act correctly from that point on is my view.

VN Store

Back