Should the NCAA Tournament drop the automatic conference bids?

Should the NCAA Tournament drop the automatic conference bids?

• Total voters
I hate that winning the conference tournament gets the automatic bid.

The victory by Georgia is great for them, but should it negate an entire year of crappy play? And how about San Diego getting the bid over St. Mary's and Gonzaga in a conference tournament held ON THEIR HOME FLOOR?

I don't think you can outright just drop them. It just wouldn't be fair to exclude over half of the teams from the process of finding the champion. You don't KNOW whether a team can compete or not. If you did, there would not be so many upsets every year.

The Cinderella phenomenon is what makes the tournament interesting. George Mason in the final four? It still sounds unbelievable. And by taking away the automatic bids, that would never of happened because they wouldn't have been "good" (popular, well known, large fan base) enough to even have cracked the field.

I mean, why have a tournament at all, if we already "know" who the best teams are? It is better to have something guaranteed by merit, i.e. automatically qualifying by winning your conference.

George Mason got an at-large that year, so yes they would have still been in the field.

By this argument, you might as well just go with 32 teams instead of 64. It's not like the other 32 have a chance of winning, right?

Keep the automatic bids. Get rid of the play-in game -- or, if you must have it, make two of the major conference at-large teams play it. Why should Kentucky skip right into the field of 64, while a team that won its conference tourney has to play the extra game?

Since the NCAA expanded the field from 32 to 64 teams no team higher then a #8 seed has won the tournament. So it would not have the eliminated an NCAA tournment champion if the field would have been 32 instead of 64 teams.

As I said in another post, the highest seeded teams to make the final 4 were #11 George Mason, and #11 LSU. So it would have probably eliminated those teams from the field in a 32 team tournament.

The NCAA tournament is the best event in all of sports - don't mess with perfection.

With the exception of the Selection Committees. I must agree. Bobby knight said it best when he said a bunch of people want on the committee and when they get there they have no idea what they are doing. A very true statement.

With the exception of the Selection Committees. I must agree. Bobby knight said it best when he said a bunch of people want on the committee and when they get there they have no idea what they are doing. A very true statement.

How would you do it differently? I'm not being sarcastic/poking fun. I am actually wondering what a good alternative to this would be.

Why not just eliminate the reg season and create a year long, round-robin tourney of all 300+ teams. Kind of a kill 2 birds thing

How would you do it differently? I'm not being sarcastic/poking fun. I am actually wondering what a good alternative to this would be.

Don't get me wrong, I love the NCAA tournament.

But I think I might like the NCAA baseball tournament format a little bit better. I like the idea of a 8 team double elimination tournament at the end of the season.

A 32 team tournament playing into an 8 team double elimination tournament would probably be my preference.

But the NCAA basketball tournament is great.

Since the NCAA expanded the field from 32 to 64 teams no team higher then a #8 seed has won the tournament. So it would not have the eliminated an NCAA tournment champion if the field would have been 32 instead of 64 teams.

As I said in another post, the highest seeded teams to make the final 4 were #11 George Mason, and #11 LSU. So it would have probably eliminated those teams from the field in a 32 team tournament.

So you'd be in favor of reducing the field back to 32? If your position is that automatic bids should be stripped because it lets in teams that don't have a chance of winning, then the logical extension of that position is that you should only let in teams that have a chance at the title. 32 would seem to be sufficient, then, and therefore the whole first round is a waste of time. Is that what you're saying?

(Not to put words in your mouth or anything.)

So you'd be in favor of reducing the field back to 32? If your position is that automatic bids should be stripped because it lets in teams that don't have a chance of winning, then the logical extension of that position is that you should only let in teams that have a chance at the title. 32 would seem to be sufficient, then, and therefore the whole first round is a waste of time. Is that what you're saying?

(Not to put words in your mouth or anything.)

Taking the top 32 ranked teams would be fine with me. The top ranked 64 teams kind of cheapens the regular season a little bit to me. How hard is it play well enough to be ranked in the top 64?

get rid of the conf. tournaments. Auto bids to the reg season winners. then your at large pool increases a bit, and you dont' have to worry about a sub .500 team like GA making it, when clearly, they aren't worthy. a weekend long, 4 game stretch determines that, but i've got teams that have a 30+ game resume that is definitely better.....that's really not fair.

GA might have a chance if there weren't so many days between games. They should have played 3 or 4 exhibition games right up to the first round.

32 auto bids to each conference champ. Other 32 going to the 32 with highest RPI.

If that happened this year:

About 7 mid majors would have different teams that were conference champs and...Kansas St, Kentucky, Oregon, and Georgia would be out. Dayton, Illinois St, UMass, and Creighton would be in.

The tournament is a perfect set up as it is. The committee just needs to put the best at larges in - which they usually miss on 1 or 2. However, bubble teams who complain should have won 1 more game.

VN Store

Back