Should the ncaa change the format of March madness

I can see your point on that when a team has a great season, then just lays an egg and it’s over, but I also think that’s part of what makes March madness the best postseason in sports. Every minute of energy game is critical, and you better bring it or risk going home. Fun to watch David take down Goliath every year.

Make it a playoff type of layout.

Best of two moves onto to play the next opponent

Kinda unfair to determine who is the better team based off of 1 night

They will as soon as the finances make sense. Fairness and parity aren’t their objectives. Maximizing their bottom line is.

But rather than having best of 3 (you posted best of 2 - ?) I think that double elimination for the Sweet 16 teams does make sense. Applying DE to the round of 32 creates too long of a tournament.

No, March Madness is the most fun out of all the major sports tournaments, while it sucks to have your team get tossed by St Mary’s Poly Tech, it’s also incredibly fun.

It's a dumb idea--but greed drives the sports entertainment industry--and both pro and college consistently
try to expand and extend playoffs to suck maximum dollars out of TV viewers. So anything's possible....

I would like to skip the First 4 Dayton games and go back to 64.
Only change I might consider would be a cap on number of teams per conference.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
No, March Madness is the most fun out of all the major sports tournaments, while it sucks to have your team get tossed by St Mary’s Poly Tech, it’s also incredibly fun.
This 100%.Why mess with one of the most exciting sports events in all of sports.

Reactions: WillisWG
I can see your point on that when a team has a great season, then just lays an egg and it’s over, but I also think that’s part of what makes March madness the best postseason in sports. Every minute of energy game is critical, and you better bring it or risk going home. Fun to watch David take down Goliath every year.
Not fun watching teams who've been good all year waste time playing against duds who may actually luck up and win a game but not deserve it. A series would all but eliminate fluke "victories" and leave us with the best teams headed towards the Final Four.

Reactions: Vols till I fall

Yep, it's a sport where a lot of the time the best team gets knocked out because of a bad matchup, player injury, refs calling completely different from their conference refs and on and on. It's fun because there are so many factors that can cause sudden death and a team that you don't match up with gets knocked out or you miss the bad matchups by lucky bracket draws and all of sudden you as a no name team is in the elite 8 and so on. What makes it fun IMO.

Are you talking Chess ? I bet, less than 5 people got that 70's (I think?) reference
Yep, chess all right. FIDE changed the format of the tournament (winner had to win 6 games). Fisher wanted the old format so he forfeited his title to Karpov.
The time after that, Karpov and Korchnoi played for months, playing draw after draw. Karpov finally did win though.

If the goal is to find the nation's best team, yes: More March, less madness.

But tournaments nor playoffs necessarily reveal the "best" team, as all good sports have a "rock-paper-scissors" aspect that defies "best." If you want to determine the "best" team in any sport for any season, fans talking at and past each other in a forum thread or call-in radio show are as good a means as any.

What we're left with are revenue-generating spectator events that produce an eventual "official winner" in each sport each year.

Heck no ! Leave March Madness alone , only thing that makes sense would be to go to a field of 48 or so . IMO

VN Store

Back