Share your memories....

This may be a repeat thread but I don't care. Everyone share your most memorable moment as a vol fan. It can be games, plays, games you went to with friends, etc. just share your most memorable moments.

Myself, I remember going to the UT- LSU game in the early 90s with my dad it was pouring rain and we went to the dollar store and got ponchos. We sat in the end zone where the visiting team comes out on the 1st row. Man I thought I was big stuff.

Hanging out with my friends, and UNLV at UT happened to be on in the background. We were just chatting it up, then they mention Erik Ainge's name, and we all whip around to watch the tv and spoke nary a word the rest of the game.

Too many to mention....

My grandfather went to UT, was a huge fan (actually died a few days after we won the National Championship, was buried with paper carrying the headline announcing it).

My Dad went to UT, Was SGA president, went through law school there, was in the band (thus we have to listen to the trumpet solo during halftime), etc etc..... if a UT game is on, we are going to be watching it, whether in Knoxville, or at home on TV.

Anyhow, growing up with those two, along with the rest of the family being huge fans as well, UT became part of the family traditions. Every Thanksgiving we would all get together and would watch the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Without fail, every time we watched, my grandfather would get all riled up over how the announcers badmouthed UT, not giving them a shot... I think it took somewhere around 10 years till that tape broke.

Of course Thanksgiving time was when we played Vandy, so it was always nice to get to go see us beat up on them. We usually either rented a chalet in Gatlinburg or just stayed in Kingsport at their house for the holiday so it was a short trip. Dont think we ever went there having tickets beforehand, and my grandfather refused to buy them until close to kickoff (sometimes even after), trying to get the best deal..

Of course I have seen tons of the big games as well. Florida in the rain drenched Swamp, two Championship games, beating that overrated Rick Mirer in Knoxville, and tons more. I still remember helton going down and seeing Peyton come in, and watching how hard Shuler threw the ball.

I am sure I am leaving out a ton of the "big games", but the ones i remember best are the ones where I went with my dad, grandfather and uncle (who actually played football for virginia tech, so we all root for them as well). Some of them i barely even remember, as i was so little i had hardly a clue what was going on, just remember a ton of orange and white and "The Big T".

My grandfather went to UT, was a huge fan (actually died a few days after we won the National Championship, was buried with paper carrying the headline announcing it).

Good stories Austin!!!!!!!!!

1996 Alabama game - We stunk up the joint and gave up a game tying TD with about 2 minutes to go. We got the ball back on our own 20 and CPF started running off tackle plays to run the clock out and go to overtime. The crowd booed and the jackass Bammer sitting beside me was taunting everybody. On the very next play, Jay Graham went off tackle again, but this time he broke through the line and the secondary that had walked up to stop the run was nowhere in sight. 79 yards later Graham scored the winning TD. As the run was taking place, the Bammer yelled, "Where the #$% is the safety?" to which the guy in front of us yelled back, "Underneath Cosey Coleman!!"

1994 Georgia game - We went into Athens with first baseman Todd Helton at QB and absolutely mauled GA. My soon to be wife and I walked out of the stadium early in the 4th quarter and saw one of the saddest things I've ever seen - a 5 year old boy and an extremely pissed off wife watching a grown man stumbling drunk and actually crying. :eek:lol: Through his tears I actually heard him say, "This never used to happen when Hershel was here." :eek:lol:

1981 - Ga Tech game - the first game my Dad ever took me to. I was only 8, but I do remember Fuad Reveiz nailing a 60 yard FG attempt . . . unfortunately, I think we lost that game, but I saw a 60 yard FG and I got to ride the MARTA train in Atlanta. Up to that point it was easily the coolest day of my life.

'95 Citrus Bowl - The Volunteers completely owned that overrated Heisman Trophy winner - Eddie George. Nobody gave the Vols' defense a chance against him. They proved everybody wrong.

Jay Graham's game-winning run against Alabama.

The Nash, Copeland, Price trio of 1997. Plus, the emergence of a freshman named Jamal Lewis.

The Travis duo of 1998. Stephens and Henry.

1998 Florida game, Arkansas game and Fiesta Bowl. (What a year that was, eh?)

The Tim Couch/Peyton Manning shootout - 1997.

1997 and 1998 SEC Championship games. Both of those were hard on the 'ole nerves.

2001 Citrus Bowl. The Volunteers proved that the Big 10 was slow, and not on par with the SEC.

There's many more, I just can't think right now.

I'm 24 but the first time I ever went to a Vols game was a few years ago for the opener against Southern Mississippi. I was sitting in the end zone and we had SM pinned against their own goal. The stadium was making so much noise it was unbelievable. The QB dropped back to pass and was destroyed in the end zone for a safety and I swear the stadium actually started shaking. It was the best sports moment of my life. The rush was amazing.

DD

1998 - Tennessee 22, Georgia 3

My brother got tickets to the game in Athens. RB Jamal Lewis had been injured the week before against Auburn and the Georgia fans were quite cocky, talking alot of smack before the game. From what I saw, the Vols fans had a quiet confidence. No. 7 Georgia was favored... the gameday crew from ESPN was there... and the Georgia fans were chanting "overrated" quite loudly before the game. The Vols led 9-6 at the half and routed the Dawgs 22-3. Sophomore RB Travis Stephens rushed for 107 yards on 20 carries... RB Travis Henry rushed for 53 yards on 10 carries. Tee Martin threw TD passes to Cedrick Wilson and Peerless Price. Quincy Carter finished completing only 14-of-37 for 195 yards and 2 interceptions. By the 4th quarter, most Georgia fans had cleared out of the stadium as the Vol faithful chanted "overrated".

I was also in attendance for the victories over Alabama in 1996, 1998, and 2000.

Looks like a great opportunity for my first post on this board...

First, most memorable from 5 to 1:

#5 Arkansas '98 - I was living in Memphis and watching the game at a friend's apartment downtown, about ready to jump from the 8th floor window when cheers came from the other room. Stoerner had fumbled and the rest was history. Especially the part about me streaking down Main Street Memphis if we won. :eek:

#4 Alabama '95 - I was in college at the time, keg party at a friend's place. First play - Manning to Kent - 80 yards - touchdown. Game never really close. Keg not full for very long.

#3 Florida '01 - I attended this game in Gainesville, and few things are more satisfying than seeing a bunch of arrogant gator fans taking there medicine and throwing away their rose stems as all their hopes and dreams were crushed in their house - back when their house still meant something.

#2 Notre Dame '91 - After the first half I could hardly bare to watch, but my parents continued to do so. I couldn't believe the comeback, still can't really, but I think my usually 12" vertical jump magically increased by about 3 fold when (was it Floyd Miley's) big ole butt got in the way of their chip shot field goal at the end. Wow, still brings back chills.

#1 Florida &#39;98 - First game I attended with my wife (then girlfriend). I&#39;m usually pretty stoic, but I shed a tear when we won. I&#39;ve always had a special distaste for Florida and to see 5 years of frustration end in a frenzied night game a Neyland was just too much. My wife still gives me a hard time about it... <_< And Al Wilson is still my favorite VOL.

Most painful

#5 Auburn &#39;90 - I think we were up 26-9 at one point. Big game on ESPN I remember. Looked like we were going to do it but we gave it up.

#4 Florida &#39;00 - I was at this game and Gafney still didn&#39;t make the catch. Period.

#3 Florida &#39;95 - Tale of 3 halves. Up 30-14 at one point, we were all cursing and hollaring at Spurrier while we were winning, and cursing and hollaring at Spurrier (and Jay Graham, although I still like the guy) when we threw it all away. Still makes me mad.

#2 Alabama &#39;93 - Argh&#33;&#33; Gave them a TD and 2 point conversion in the 4th quarter to let them tie it up. David Palmer @#&#036;%&#33;&#33;

#1 Florida &#39;96 - sigh... A summer&#39;s worth of buildup, a night and days worth of tailgating, Manning v Wuerffle, #2 v #3 (I think). Billed as one of the biggest games ever at Neyland. Of course we all know what happened. I feel sorry for the other fans sitting around us. My mother wouldn&#39;t have been proud. :shakehead:

Honorable mentions:

Michigan &#39;01 Citrus Bowl - The VOLS smackdown the Tennessee of the north.

Arkansas &#39;90 Cotton Bowl - Chuck Webb runs wild.

Ohio State &#39;96 Citrus Bowl - Anyone remember Bill Duff?

Miami &#39;86 Sugar Bowl - Would have been on the top 5 list, but I was a little wipper-snapper then. All we did at school the next day (Cedar Bluff intermediate) was watch the tape of the game.

Alabama &#39;82 - See above. I do remember the story of Kirk Trevor, the KSO conductor, saying "how about them VOLS&#33;" or something to that effect during a performance that night.

Auburn &#39;89 - Thomas Woods, Reggie Cobb, rainstorm, VOLS win.

Way to many to mention.But I guess I would have to say last saturday with my daughter. You know most people just dont get it. Why the hair stands up on the back of your neck every time the VOLS run through the T and take the field.Or that sudden shiver that runs up your spin after they score for us to take the lead in a big game. ALL VOL fans know and they understand and seeing my daughter get it ment a lot to me. I also would like to throw in that my step-father played for BAMA. We never saw eye to eye and now that Im grown and get to see the disappointment on his face year after year has been great too..LOL

this one is kinda different folks but here goes....there are so many great moments its hard to rank any of them but this happened to me and i wasn&#39;t at the game or even watching it, heck I couldn&#39;t even listen on the radio...anyway my boss at the time had season tickets ,the year was 1990 (Ithink, and I don&#39;t even remember the opponent) ... and he leaves the farm early to go to the game and leaves me in charge. 5 &#39;oclock and I&#39;m the only one left on the farm and I&#39;m checking on the Maternity cows and this young cow has just had a new baby ...no problem...yet. I do my routine - vacinate the baby , record the birth, ect.... I go back to check on them before I leave 4 home and the cow is prolapsing ( technical term 4 womb turning inside out...yeah its hanging out of the cow) well of course I have never seen this before and I call the Vet School ... no answer so I go back to do what I can ( the cow kept trying to roll over and over on this hillside and I&#39;m right there rolling with her) About 6 oclock i realize that the long sleeved shirt I wore to work that morning was at the office and with the sun going down it&#39;s starting to get cold. During the game we scored a bunch and I could hear the fireworks going off across the river and I was like "hell yeah&#33;" and i could see the cheerleaders doing pushups in my mind and hear John Ward in my mind counting down the TD runs&#33; Anyway the boss gets back from the game about 10:30 and here I am with this cow knowing we just kicked some major :shakeit: cause I lost count of the explosions. Luckily his son (a VET) was with him and the Cow survived and I survived and the Vols won in a blowout&#33; Told you it was different but I will never forget that night&#33;

* Hearing John Ward saying "What time is it? You know what time it is. It&#39;s FOOTBALL TIME in TENNESSEE&#33;"

* Watching Peyton and Casey conduct the band after big victories.

* Freezing my butt off to see the Vol Walk for the first time.

* Calling my friend Tim, (who was killed in an accident this summer) and both of us whooping and hollering over the phone after every Vol touchdown. ( I miss you, Tim.)

Too many to list, but here are a few:

Throwing sugar cubes during the Vandy game in 1985.

Sitting in the pouring rain as Shuler and Co. take care of business with FL in 1992.

"it is, good...no it is no good, it is no good." (@ND 1990)

Actual words from Bobby Denton vs. ECU 1995 "Time out...for the dog".

Releasing the balloons at Neyland.

Tearing down the goal post in 1998 vs. FL.

Hearing that No. 1 was knocked off after the UAB game in &#39;98, making UT the new No. 1.

The sound of the crowd during the final TD drive against Arkansas in 1998.

And the list goes on and on and on...

I REMEMBER GOING TO THE MALL THIS YEAR AND GETTING AUTOGRAPHS OF ERIK AINGE, JASON ALLEN, BRENT SCHAEFFER,BRET SMITH, PHILLIP FULMER,JAYSON SWAIN,GERALD RIGGS, XAVIER MITCHELL, KEVIN BURNETT,ROBERT MECHEM, DUSTIN COLQUITT., MEMBERS OF O-LINE, PARYS HARLSON, ANTWAN STEWART,DERRICK TINSLEY,JUSTIN REED, AND MOOOOORRRREE...IT WAS SOOO COOL....THE PLAYERS WERE LAUGHING..AND HAVING FUN....I LOVE THIS TEAM...GREAT ATTITUDE....THEY ARE REALLY NICE TOO

MEMBERS OF O-LINE

Poor O line&#33; :lol:

I haven&#39;t been to many games but have lot&#39;s of great memories.

**1996 Tennessee vs. Nebraska, Orange Bowl (I know, Iknow, just listen)
Being born in Tennessee and living in South Florida, it was cool to see my team come down and play in a big bowl. My Dad was a sports writer for the Chattanooga News Free Press in his younger days so he scored passes to the practices at Barry University. My Dad, brother, sister and I went to the practice and took loads of pictures of Peyton and his softball size knee (gross). They got killed 42-17 but it still was a good time.

**1998 The whole season was amazing but
-The Gator game
-The Arkansas game
-The FS who game

**2001 vs. LSU W-26-18
Revenge for LSU and happiness after 9/11

**2001 vs. Florida W-34-32
I had many UF friends there painted with roses in there mouths. They still hear rocky top ringing in there heads&#33; :D

**2002 Arkansas W-41-38 (6 OT)
What a game...WHITTEN BABY&#33;

**2002 vs. Miami L-26-3
We got our butts kicked but it was my first home game. I got one good cheer with Houstons big run in the opening minutes

**2003 vs. Florida W-24-10

**2003 vs. Miami W-10-6
Revenge is sweet.

**2004 vs. Georgia
:cross:

I also have many but I will keep it to two I will never forget...

#2 - Last year an old college friend of mine and his wife called me and said they had tickets to the Alabama game. I said we need to get something to stay in by the stadium and tailgate. My friends wife said laughing that her parents had an old Nomad 18 foot travel trailer. I said heck...I&#39;m not trying to impress anyone...let&#39;s use it&#33; That Friday I drive down from Kentucky and arrive in Memphis at 8:00 in the morning. We load up and head out from memphis aroun 10:00 am pulling a 1978 nomad 18 foot trailer&#33; LOLOLOL Off we go down the highway with our Tennessee Flags on the suburban and trailer in tow heading to Bryant Denny stadium...We arrive a little before 5:00 p.m. and get in line behind all the Alabama RVs in staging to go park on campus. At this point we are the only Tennesse people in line. We get out and begin to meet folks while we are waiting to go park and we meet a very nice person in front of us who said just follow him and he will hook us up with a good parking place. Well the time came to go park and we do just that and follow him. We end up parking close to the stadium next to him and about 200 other Alabama &#036;100,000 rigs. There we are...a 1978 18&#39; Nomad&#33; LOLOLOLOL Our new friend unloads his golf cart ...we pop a few beers and he shows us around and introduces us to other people. We pop a few more beers ... they offer us supper.... pop a few more beers....load up in his golf cart again and he shows us where most UT fans park because they do not know better....and we go off in about a 10 minute drive WAY across campus... and he was right...the Tennessee RVs where way away from the stadium. We hung out with them for a while and then went back to our camp.

Hit the sack aroun 2:00 a.m.

Saturday .... wake to a knock our our flemsy door aroun 8:00 a.m. Some of the Alabama folk we meet invited us over for breakfast. We head over and begin with a huge buffet breakfast they set up and Bloody Marrys....They had some TV&#39;s out and we were watching Gameday and such...talking about UT and Alabama history....Then we realize we forgot to bring some special drink to sneak into the stadium. A alabama man spoke up and said he had something we could take and he gave us some Crown. Then we said we also forgot to bring something to carry it with... He gave us a pouch to put it in and we were set. We make it over to the stadium that afternoon to our seats and watch a great game of many overtimes&#33; After the game we head back to the trailer and offer a few beers to the alabama folk .... sleep at 1:00 a.m.

Sunday we woke about 8:00 a.m. Say bye...pull out around 9:00 a.m. and while we drive back to Memphis we chukle to each other...we drank their beer, ate their food, and kicked their A&#036;&#036;. We also stated that the Nomad was 1-0&#33;

#1 For New Years 1985-86 we went to the BIG EASY for the sugar bowl. My Dad got us great tickets and we were so happy to see UT win. The Miami fans were very obnoxious about Vinny T. and how our defense was in trouble.... I was so happy to see my hero do well ... Dale Jones&#33;

1. Helping tear down the goalpost at Neyland in 1989 after beating Auburn (and my parents seeing me do it on Natl TV on CBS)

2. 1986 Sugar Bowl over Miami in New Orleans

3. 1979 vs Boston College ( my first game seeing the Vols at Neyland)

4. 1985 - The Vols upset #1 Auburn in Knoxville

5. 1984 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta - booing their band cause they looked horribly tacky in halloween costumes and sounded worse

I have more, those are just the first ones that popped into my head&#33;

:D

My dad went to (old) DB and my Uncle went there as well. I grew up in memphis so i went to High School here before i went off to Knoxvegas.

1985 Sugar bowl when keith jackson had to admit on air the Vols just may have this thing wrapped up....and Vinny Testeverde was sacked several times on running plays....its my opinion that game has affected his career in the NFL, he was never cocky after that game.

Wow some great stories folks.Some of them brought back some fond memories of the past.I guess my favorite memory of Tennessee is when I became a Vols Fan.Pretty lame but that&#39;s all I have.One of these days I am going to get to see live Vols game.

Bama in &#39;82...I was sitting amongst some Bama fans and I can still hear them saying before kickoffs.."Dont kick it to Gault&#33;" Florida in &#39;98 was something I&#39;ll never forget either......I couldn&#39;t talk for three days.

Man those are some great posts and some great games&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back