Shane Beamer to be hired at SC

I had to read up a bit as I honestly didn’t know a whole lot about Shane Beamer. A few things do stick out.

-Masters Degree in Sports Management
-In 2009 at South Carolina, Beamer was nominated for the Frank Broyles Award, which goes annually to the nation’s top assistant coach.
-As the Gamecocks’ recruiting coordinator, his 2009 class was ranked 12th-best by both Rivals and Scout, and the 2010 and 2011 classes were ranked in the Top 25.
-He comes to Carolina from Oklahoma, where he has served as the assistant head coach for offense for the last three seasons. The Sooners led the nation in total offense, scoring offense and yards per play in 2018.

Bottom line- Its safe to assume, there was some familiarity there given his history with the Gamecocks and I have a feeling the Ole Ball Coach had some input in this decision. I would have probably preferred head coaching experience but I don’t think I would hate the hire if I’m an SC fan.

He was probably the best HC he could afford. That is one reason I think Satterfield wasn't selected.

Worst SEC hire since Derek Dooley.

3 types of successful head coach hires in college:
(*) Proven track record as a head coach,
(*) Proven track record as OC or DC at a major P5 program,
(*) Semi-successful NFL coach

There are a few exceptions (e.g. Swinney), but it's rare for a position coach who has never been OC or DC to work out. Feels very much like a Derek Dooley or Ron Zook level hire.

I don't know why they would pass on Napier and Chadwell. Chadwell has spent most of his career in the Carolinas. No one is a guaranteed success in the SEC, but Chadwell would've made much more sense.

VN Store

Back