Shaka Smart To Marquette

They might try but I doubt he’d leave. He can get paid at Bama and have less pressure than he’d face at Texas. I don’t see Oats leaving Bama unless a blue blood or NBA team goes after him.
Texas >>>> Alabama

I'm so sick of the double standard with coaches and players. Coaches do it all the time. And spare us the pearl clutching about what you're "teaching the kids".
I think the truth lies in the middle. Also, there’s nothing preventing any player from leaving a program at any time

Reactions: tennrich1
Coaches are professionals. College athletes are not. They’re the ones playing the game and the rules are set up to govern their play.

And as far as what lessons are being taught, it’s a dumb argument because that’s not what the transfer rules are about at all. However it’s true that for the vast majority of these kids, after they leave college, they won’t be able to just skip town if things aren’t going their way. But while they’re playing they should be able to go where they feel is best for them and do it within the NCAA rules.

I'd say he legitimately left with no threat of being fired this season. Unless he's just stupid any way. Texas would have owed him 7.1 million guaranteed money to fire him and he'd still have gotten the Marquette job. But Marquette is a better basketball school than Texas and is fairly close to his hometown and Chicago is a very fertile recruiting ground.

I'll give Texas credit they will pull that fire trigger often. Shaka got fired for same reason as Barnes...wasn't winning tourney games....NIT doesn't count that just shows your team underperformed

Barnes was not fired at Texas, because of his coaching. He was fired because he refused to fire an assistant coach that the AD wanted fired. In Barnes opinion there was not ANY reason to fire the assistant, other than the AD's dislike of the assistant. I will applaud any man that has enough courage to stand up and do the right thing. That AD(Steve Patterson) that fired Barnes was then fired at Texas a couple of years later, because he was ineffective and had created bad vibes on campus.

Was he on the hot seat? I know he had a first round tourney exit, but I thought his year was decent. Asking seriously as I dont follow the wrong color orange that closely.
He had every scholarship player back and added a 5-star recruit to a team that finished 3rd in the Big 12 and won 19 games. So this year should have been better but it really wasn’t. They win 19 games and finished 3rd again. They did win the Big 12 tournament but only had to beat Texas Tech and OK St to do it as Kansas didn’t play Texas in the semifinal game, giving UT a day between games and a huge advantage over OK St. Smart simply wasn’t getting it done. He hadn’t won a single NCAA tournament game in 6 years and won less than 56% of his games.

I'm so sick of the double standard with coaches and players. Coaches do it all the time. And spare us the pearl clutching about what you're "teaching the kids".
He is correct about adversity and younger people but I’m not so sure that’s unique to the current generation. But I agree that kids shouldn’t be restricted on transfers. Schools can choose to not sign the kid if that’s a concern for them.

Speaking of pearl clutching, Beard may be their target right now but don't be surprised if a very familiar name pops up who reportedly is bored with the "loveliest village on the plains" lifestyle.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I'll give Texas credit they will pull that fire trigger often. Shaka got fired for same reason as Barnes...wasn't winning tourney games....NIT doesn't count that just shows your team underperformed
We pull the fire trigger often too (football)...just can’t seem to upgrade.

Reactions: VolnJC
Speaking of pearl clutching, Beard may be their target right now but don't be surprised if a very familiar name pops up who reportedly is bored with the "loveliest village on the plains" lifestyle.
Just heard the College GameDay crew mention Pearl's name might be mentioned in the Texas job mix...Mentioned Musselman too.

Reactions: VolnJC
Win 20+ games next year and get fired, or seek greener pastures ?! Smart move on his part, no pun intended.

tenor.gif

The CULTURE in the Administration
Perhaps it’s the culture in the university. Or even the entire state! Are you very familiar with the culture there? What is it about culture that allows you to recruit well and retain players yet make bad coaching decisions?

VN Store

Back