Shades of Clausen

My first memory of Casey was when as a freshman against Alabama his helmet was knocked off & he continued to scramble, hitting a receiver then getting decked. Knew no fear.

I was at that game when Casey started against Alabama, it was a beautiful Autumn afternoon and Tennessee’s defense just stood up Bama’s offense at the line of scrimmage time and time again.
A fond memory I won’t forget anytime soon, we sat just in front of Casey’s mom and dad

My first memory of Casey was when as a freshman against Alabama his helmet was knocked off & he continued to scramble, hitting a receiver then getting decked. Knew no fear.
In toughness there may be a similarity, I noticed JG has done better once he gets hit a time or 2. I remember us playing Florida down there when Clausen was QB and early on Casey wasn't in rhythm very well and he got blasted on the sideline, should have been a late hit but it wasn't called. That got Casey fired up and he proceeded to go off on the gator defense with a great day and vol victory. Casey was great when the game was on the line.

Good to see people around who remember how good Casey actually was here. 2nd only to Peyton. 9,700 yards passing...75 TDS with only 31INTs....14-1 on the road...CAREER 139.8 QBR...that 14 and 1 includes 2 trips to Florida, 2 trips to Gumpville, and 2 trips to UGA...the kid had icewater in his veins. He did just have an average arm, but he played smart and fearless. I have always said that if he were from chattanooga instead of California...he would have streets named after him on the Hill and downtown. He got a bad rep just because he was the blonde haired California kid that some here judged prematurely as cocky. He never got in any trouble, and was 2nd only to Peyton on the field...and he beat Florida. Bray is the only QB we have had in the last 15 years who could take a game over anywhere close to Casey. Dobbs had much better legs, Bray had a much better arm...but all Casey did was win. He had a couple bad games, and rumor has it that he could outdrink anyone on the team...but he was ready to go into opposing stadiums and leave crowds quiet and disappointed...and hearing Rocky Top all night long. We need another Casey, badly. Hope Shrout or the kid behind him stacks up.

JG does have his toughness. But thats it

No. Not to say it couldn't happen but those will be some big shoes to fill. Anyway here is hoping he gets in the conversation.

Impossible to compare. Most will say “no” because they can’t separate the players’ abilities from the teams’ success. Clausen had one of the best combinations of offensive line and defense in the country along with the best stable of running backs in the SEC if not for Cadillac and Brown at Auburn. So of course Clausen had more success.

Personally, I think JG has just as much ability. Maybe more.

Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.

I don't see any resemblance at all. Clausen had a lot of finesse with his passes JG throws darts. Clausen had a much better supporting cast so its hard to compare them. He was a road warrior hope JG follows suit.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Does anyone else see a bit of Casey Clausen in JG? To me ( at least from what I remember I was really young when Casey played) they both have a similar on the field presence and skill set. I really think if JG gets anywhere close to adequate pass protection that he could become one of the better QB's in the conference.
Clausen was infinitely more talented from the moment he stepped on the field. Both were seemingly tough, if that's the comparison you were going for. As for talent, especially passing talent, they aren't in the same area code.

Reactions: Alto1
Not even a little bit...JG couldn't lace Clausens shoes.

With all due respect to JG, Casey was tough, gritty, and he found a way to win, especially on the road.

JG is taking some hits and he is growing up fast. If I had to compare him to someone, it would be a Crompton/Ainge hybrid.

Reactions: feathersax
So just judging potential, JG similar to Shuler?

Not even close. No offense, but this comparison might be worse than the Clausen one. Shuler was an exceptional athlete. His running and scrambling abilities were legit unlike Guarantano's. Plus his arm was ridiculous too. Guarantano's arm is definitely strong, but Shuler's seem to be in a class by itself . Also, as bad as Shuler was at reading defenses(in the NFL), it appears just from watching the games, that Guarantano could be even worse.

All you need to do is look up some Shuler highlights/games from the 1992 and 1993 seasons to see how good he was.

Nothing at all against JG, but you either have that "Joe Montana or Tom Brady, I'm gonna beat you, and I don't care what you do" look about them, or you don't...along with a great deal of talent. JG may end up being a really fine SEC/NFL QB. He probably has more raw tools and measurables than Casey. (disclaimer: I'm not so sure Casey's "Ice Man" look wouldn't have been an "OH Sh*T" look, if he were playing behind the OL's that JG has played behind.)

So just judging potential, JG similar to Shuler?
If I'm looking back and just evaluating talent, and not considering OL's or supporting defenses, I'd say he's probably most like Tee. Tee was extremely accurate on his close/mid range passes, but, at this point, Tee probably a better runner. Shuler was a raw talent to the extent that he could take a busted play and make it a home run. He's the type of player, that if we had him now, would be an equalizer that could have put us on pretty even playing field w/ WVU. That's not JG, at this point. I do think there's the potential, if JG gets time to throw, that we could evolve into a pretty well balanced offense as we move thru the season, which could get us some wins late in the year, as talent on the team evolves.

Rick Clausen....maybe

Blasphemy. I watched Rick do the impossible against LSU. These days those types of wins are a pipe dream. Rick was not the most talented, but he’s a legend and his name shall not be forsaken.

On a side note, Bob Davie told Casey he wasn’t talented enough to play for Norte Dame and Casey whooped that *@s. Rick was passed over at LSU.

If I'm looking back and just evaluating talent, and not considering OL's or supporting defenses, I'd say he's probably most like Tee. Tee was extremely accurate on his close/mid range passes, but, at this point, Tee probably a better runner. Shuler was a raw talent to the extent that he could take a busted play and make it a home run. He's the type of player, that if we had him now, would be an equalizer that could have put us on pretty even playing field w/ WVU. That's not JG, at this point. I do think there's the potential, if JG gets time to throw, that we could evolve into a pretty well balanced offense as we move thru the season, which could get us some wins late in the year, as talent on the team evolves.

His Sr year, Fulmer consistently and very publicly called Tee the best player in college football. Line or no line, Tee was one of the best of that class. JG ain’t even close. But I do like his toughness so far and I haven’t given up on him yet.

It's probably been that long since we've had a guy stand in the pocket and make plays.

Well Bray, but it seems just as long
One thing Casey had never had was an understanding of what the pocket was. Yes we had a very good offensive line at that time and when the pocket started forming, he would invariably start flapping his elbows like big bird and trying to find a way to run out of it. Which he had no running ability. Casey was very good at running essentially a 2-minute offense and really nothing else. Which also means that he might be a very good quarterback in these days because that is the type of quarterback that does well in a spread offense.

Last edited:
His Sr year, Fulmer consistently and very publicly called Tee the best player in college football. Line or no line, Tee was one of the best of that class. JG ain’t even close. But I do like his toughness so far and I haven’t given up on him yet.
I'm talking more about his junior year (year 3), this is year 2 for JG playing...VN had plenty of doubts about Tee's ability as a first year starter, though he played with a great OL, All SEC RB's and WR's, along with the best D we've ever had. Tee was efficient and my point of comparison is that I think JG's every bit as good a passer as Tee, and probably compares most to him that Casey or any other Vol QB I can think of?

Tee Martin was an average QB at best. He benefitted greatly the same way that Clausen did. Great coaching and stellar talent all around on both sides of the ball. Think about it, what player on our current team would even sniff the starting lineup on the 98-2003 Vols? Maybe Smith. Thats it.

Unfortunately this is as about as unfair debate as you can get. Clausen and Martin had Fulmer and his staff to coach them up. JG has had zero coaching until this year.

VN Store

Back