Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

tell the Senator to keep da gubmunt's nose out of sports scheduling and work on da gubmunt's responsibilities

It's definitely not unanimous required. UF/UGA/USC all have a voting alliance to vote against any new teams in those states, which obviously means that it's less than 14/14. Maybe supermajority. [which would be 10/14]

I disagree that this is a waste of senator time. The state legislature wants more money to stay in the state, which means trying to get UT and Memphis to play each other. It happens that the interests of the University of Tennessee don't identically align with the state gov't.

Reactions: TNfan#2
If Memphis replaced Vandy in the SEC do u know how hard it would be to recruit there??? It would basically cut off west tn.

It would probably suck a lot of talent out of Arkansas and northern Mississippi as well.

Annually wouldn't make sense. I wouldn't be opposed to a home and home once a decade.

Memphis hasn't done near as much as UT obviously, though they've also only been at the D-1 FBS levels since the 80s or 90s, can't remember when.

They've done more in the last decade though then Vanderbilt has in the last century, so I have to give them credit for that.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Long term there's no way that UT-Vandy remains as competitive as it was this decade [just look at them firing their AD for spending too much on athletics], having a permanently competitive in-state rivalry would be cool. The idea of having a game at LP is interesting as well, although I doubt they'd agree to permanent Neyland-LP-Neyland-LP... would probably take Neyland-LP-Neyland-Liberty at minimum.

Relatedly, if Vanderbilt ever leaves the SEC, I'm way more interested in scheduling Memphis than continuing to schedule Vandy.

If Vanderbilt left I'd want either Virginia or North Carolina. Either would make the SEC stronger. However, Duke or Wake Forest might be better options. Either way, the SEC would remain "Dixie" and not contaminated with alien DNA.

I said I'm not a fan of the cupcake game scheduling in my post. If it was up to me we'd play respectable opponents every week

If that had been the case this past season, UT would have finished at best 5-7, and that's assuming Vandy or Kentucky didn't decide to add insult to injury.

I can understand not wanting to play FCS teams like ETSU or this coming season Furman. As an ETSU alumni, aside from having a game on tv and radio for once, aside from the money it didn't do anything in 2018. You could have played Tulsa or a MAC school or someone and still won handily, and at the expense of less money, ETSU could have played another FCS team and maybe ended the year 9-3 instead of 8-4.

Memphis is no SEC team, but they are at least at the FBS level, and the last 6 years they've definitely taken things up a step or two. It's also hard to tell if it's a short term issue or not with their recent run of good luck. A couple good years under 1 decent coach is understandable. Six good years under 2 different coaches, that's a bit more interesting.

If that had been the case this past season, UT would have finished at best 5-7, and that's assuming Vandy or Kentucky didn't decide to add insult to injury.

I can understand not wanting to play FCS teams like ETSU or this coming season Furman. As an ETSU alumni, aside from having a game on tv and radio for once, aside from the money it didn't do anything in 2018. You could have played Tulsa or a MAC school or someone and still won handily, and at the expense of less money, ETSU could have played another FCS team and maybe ended the year 9-3 instead of 8-4.

Memphis is no SEC team, but they are at least at the FBS level, and the last 6 years they've definitely taken things up a step or two. It's also hard to tell if it's a short term issue or not with their recent run of good luck. A couple good years under 1 decent coach is understandable. Six good years under 2 different coaches, that's a bit more interesting.
As a native memphian i can tell u that honestly they just started to put interest into that football program. For decades it was none existent. Thats why so many of us from the area who love football also love vol football. The tiger football program was literally neglected. I was raised in that era and we didnt even know they had a football team growing up lol. It was UT or nothing. Tommy West actually woke up the program and it took him being fired to do so. They have pretty much been building their program since DeAngelo Williams. Since 2000 we have 12 winning seasons and they have 10.

Reactions: TNfan#2
As a native memphian i can tell u that honestly they just started to put interest into that football program. For decades it was none existent. Thats why so many of us from the area who love football also love vol football. The tiger football program was literally neglected. I was raised in that era and we didnt even know they had a football team growing up lol. It was UT or nothing. Tommy West actually woke up the program and it took him being fired to do so. They have pretty much been building their program since DeAngelo Williams. Since 2000 we have 12 winning seasons and they have 10.

Even against mostly weak opponents, hitting or exceeding 10 wins is something many Power 5 schools struggle with, let alone 3 times in six years. Any idea of the recent success has resulted in any alumni or boosters or whatever suddenly opening up their checkbooks?

Apples and watermelons. There is no comparison to the league they play in versus trying to win in the SEC. Anybody with a pulse should have a winning record with the schedule Memphis plays. In one of Fuentes’ 10 win seasons, the record of the opponents in those 10 wins was 40 and 80.

Apples and watermelons. There is no comparison to the league they play in versus trying to win in the SEC. Anybody with a pulse should have a winning record with the schedule Memphis plays. In one of Fuentes’ 10 win seasons, the record of the opponents in those 10 wins was 40 and 80.
Tell that to Boise st. We all know what the talent level is in the SEC but its football not basketball. The most talented teams dont always win. U can build a very good program without 5 stars and if they buy in u can beat anybody. Auburn had your same mentality and UCF ( same conference as memphis)kicked their tail on a national stage.

Tell that to Boise st. We all know what the talent level is in the SEC but its football not basketball. The most talented teams dont always win. U can build a very good program without 5 stars and if they buy in u can beat anybody. Auburn had your same mentality and UCF ( same conference as memphis)kicked their tail on a national stage.

Boise State is lightyears ahead of Memphis, and they've been very consistent at getting 10 or more wins every year and Top 25 rankings. They where very consistent at doing well below the FBS level for a long time, and since they moved up to FBS level in 1996 they've made or exceeded the 10 win mark 17 times, finished undefeated twice, And had 13 seasons in the Top 25.

Boise State is lightyears ahead of Memphis, and they've been very consistent at getting 10 or more wins every year and Top 25 rankings. They where very consistent at doing well below the FBS level for a long time, and since they moved up to FBS level in 1996 they've made or exceeded the 10 win mark 17 times, finished undefeated twice, And had 13 seasons in the Top 25.
The comparison wasnt to Memphis. It was Boise st being an example of not being from the SEC or rolling in 5 star recruits and still being able to compete with the best in the country. The was in response to the last guy talking about schedules. As far as Boise st accomplishments to memphis' there are 0 comparisons. I already said the football program was non existent in the era I grew up watching cfb. This is why so many people in Memphis are fans of UT football.

I don’t put much stock in bowl game results. You never know which team is going to show up. Auburn had the same mentality as Alabama did a few years ago against Utah. Neither team cared about being there, didn’t get up and got beat. If they are focused and ready to go in a game that means something, the top SEC teams will beat a G5 team the vast majority of the time. Let those teams go through the SEC meat grinder and I’m betting they won’t have those gaudy records.

The comparison wasnt to Memphis. It was Boise st being an example of not being from the SEC or rolling in 5 star recruits and still being able to compete with the best in the country. The was in response to the last guy talking about schedules. As far as Boise st accomplishments to memphis' there are 0 comparisons. I already said the football program was non existent in the era I grew up watching cfb. This is why so many people in Memphis are fans of UT football.
. What was the score when Boise went to Georgia in the middle of the season a few years ago? Don’t remember the exact score but wasn’t it like 44 to 0? Again, none of those G5 schools play a tough schedule. Sure a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then but again, put them in a P5 schedule week in and week out and you won’t see those 12 and 0 records. They are lucky the NCAA threw them a bone and gave them a spot in the New Years 6 games.

. What was the score when Boise went to Georgia in the middle of the season a few years ago? Don’t remember the exact score but wasn’t it like 44 to 0? Again, none of those G5 schools play a tough schedule. Sure a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then but again, put them in a P5 schedule week in and week out and you won’t see those 12 and 0 records. They are lucky the NCAA threw them a bone and gave them a spot in the New Years 6 games.
Guess u forgot us against Ga st. huh??? What about App st over Michigan?? There is no such thing as a sure thing in football. Of course on paper an SEC school should dominate any school not just non power 5. Look at recruiting rankings every year and the SEC will have 7 out of the top 10. U still have to develope players and get super stars to play as a TEAM. For every big loss u can bring up for boise u can also bring up a big win. Recently both schools have put more players in the NFL then we have so there is some talent at non power 5 schools. Memphis should never join the SEC becuase it doesnt benifit UT period, so i dnt care to see it. Instead of us getting 3 whitehaven LB's u would see them sign whitehaven's entire starting defense plus players from the other 150 high schools in Memphis. That SEC brand is powerful and when u put that brand with even a decent mid teir team u get Missouri. Memphis would be Mizzou 2.0 based off the talent in the area.

So for those G5 teams that can and do want to step it up to the next level, what can they do. You can't have 30 teams stuffed into the SEC or ACC, and a lot of people would see P5 schools never playing a single G5 team ever again.

For those talking about Memphis joining or not joining the SEC, which will likely never happen, what are people's opinions on them joining the Big 12.

Last edited:
Be careful. Memphis with SEC revenue would be a scary thing.

Memphis will always be Memphis it is in their genes.
A lot more has to happen for Memphis to be Scary.
There are plenty of SEC schools that have been drawing SEC Revenue.
I think the SEC is very comfortable with 14 teams and I don't see Memphis ever becoming a member of the SEC.
They have had a couple of good years, good coaching and this is a couple of State Representatives beating their chest to get votes and reelected....

Reactions: Doberman
Memphis will always be Memphis it is in their genes.
A lot more has to happen for Memphis to be Scary.
There are plenty of SEC schools that have been drawing SEC Revenue.
I think the SEC is very comfortable with 14 teams and I don't see Memphis ever becoming a member of the SEC.
They have had a couple of good years, good coaching and this is a couple of State Representatives beating their chest to get votes and reelected....
My post was a response to someone saying Memphis should join the SEC, in a sense mocking them. Of course that won’t happen. All I’m saying is if Memphis had the clout of a power five conference and the revenue that comes with it, they would be a formidable football school. I don’t see how you could argue that.

My post was a response to someone saying Memphis should join the SEC, in a sense mocking them. Of course that won’t happen. All I’m saying is if Memphis had the clout of a power five conference and the revenue that comes with it, they would be a formidable football school. I don’t see how you could argue that.

Formidable as in how?

More formidable than they are now, yes.

If (hilarious that its even discussed) they were to join the SEC, they’d be on par with Vandy, UK, and Miss St. The worst versions of those schools.

Also, the talent in Memphis is OK. Just ok, and some years not good at all. We tend to overrate the area on this forum.

Memphis is surrounded on all sides, in close proximity, by SEC programs more prestigious than they will ever be, revenue or not.

The new Vandy, with sh*ty academics to boot.

Now basketball hmmm......

VN Store

Back