Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

I don't know. I'm torn, would it be an advantage for Tennessee to play a football game in Memphis for recruiting?

I can see a pro and a con for it as money wont be there for an away game and that senator is just wanting a big pay day game to come into Memphis.

I'm for it. UM has played better than we of late so would be competition and maybe not unlike the Bama - Barn Iron Bowl. We'd have access to the Memphis area talent pool and stop the talent hemorrhaging to Miss., Bama, Ark., LSU, and other raiders. A little culture exposure m i g h t reduce some of the barely suppressed Bama-level hatred east Tennesseans have for west Tennesseans.

I agree. My first thought was: why is this something that the government thinks it has jurisdiction over? Do any other states have sports matchups that were deemed mandatory by the state government?

I could be wrong but I think Oklahoma vs Okie st, UNC vs Duke, and maybe VT vs Virginia are that way.

Reactions: clarencepeabody
I wish UT would play Memphis in all sports every year; however, we can't subsidize them by giving them a biannual home/home series that no other non P5 team ever gets in football.

I'm for this if it's a fair proposal that has economics factored into it. Methinks Kelsey is just pandering to his base

I could careless if we play in football every year. I think all other sports would be fine though if it makes sense financially.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I would like Memphis to replace Vandy in the SEC East. Vandy football is not doing anything to receive their share of the profits.
If Memphis replaced Vandy in the SEC do u know how hard it would be to recruit there??? It would basically cut off west tn.

Can Memphis match the payout Tennessee will receive for playing other road non-conference opponents like OU? I guess likely no so this would be financial loss for UT.

Reactions: Mjewell
Tennessee is the land grant university of the state and big brother to every other public university in the state. What do we have to gain by scheduling memfus in football? When we are where we should be, we get more than our fair share of football recruits. Basketball maybe, because memfus is at least traditionally relevant in that sport. MTSU and ETSU even less of an incentive to schedule. If we want to beat up on our state system little brothers like UTC and UTM, then once a decade to fill their coffers back up.

Tennessee needs to schedule P5 non conference foes that are relevant like OU, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, etc. Any sisters of the poor that we pay to play should be strategic imo.

Maybe if Memphis state hired a b-ball coach that wasn’t a baby or a punk.

Our coach didn’t whine or make up excuses after a loss, and that’s not too much to ask from an opponent.

I would like Memphis to replace Vandy in the SEC East. Vandy football is not doing anything to receive their share of the profits.
This is bizarre. Vandy is a founding member of the SEC and has the potential to be a serious player in all sports, not just baseball. Besides that, kicking out a nationally respected academic university in favor of 'Tiger High' would validate the attitude of the Big Ten that the SEC consists only of football factories. Being a UT grad, I've got a serious interest in academic reputation. It's more important to me than how many NFLers my alma mater churns out.

I'm okay with a matchup every 4 or 5 years or maybe a home and home every decade, but a yearly matchup is of little benefit to TN.

I’m okay with it every year...every sport...

We are big brother...and will remain just that..

UT-Memphis all-time football series..

UT 22-1

UT-Memphis all-time basketball series...(Memphis=basketball school)

UT 15-12

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

Why would you ever want to give them the clout of being a member of the SEC?

Asking Memphis State to join the SEC would be the equivalent of the rich family in town bringing in the little kid from the wrong side of the tracks that has a pissy attitude and a long rap sheet because they felt bad for him.

Reactions: Dumbledorange

VN Store

Back