Seeing a lot of signs Venables is OU’s man

I will say right now, I DO NOT love Josh Heupel being prominently featured in this video at the 34 second mark:

By prominently featured you mean shown for 1 1/2 seconds? yeah that was terrifying.

You're right, one of the chief factors for why people think he would not go back to OU if called is because of the frosty relationship between Heupel and the OU brass, including Stoops.

We should love that they plug a clip of him celebrating winning a national championship in Bob Stoops's first promotional/emotional marketing material with a voiceover discussing how the players are what make OU football great. That's certainly something that could never be a tea leaf towards the prospect of mending fences.

I guess there just weren't any other exciting moments that they could have used for the 55 second video.

Now, I'm not saying that Heupel will go to OU, nor am I really all that concerned. However, it's an odd clip to insert into the video given the supposed circumstances.

You're right, one of the chief factors for why people think he would not go back to OU if called is because of the frosty relationship between Heupel and the OU brass, including Stoops.

We should love that they plug a clip of him celebrating winning a national championship in Bob Stoops's first promotional/emotional marketing material with a voiceover discussing how the players are what make OU football great. That's certainly something that could never be a tea leaf towards the prospect of mending fences.

I guess there just weren't any other exciting moments that they could have used for the 55 second video.

Now, I'm not saying that Heupel will go to OU, nor am I really all that concerned. However, it's an odd clip to insert into the video given the supposed circumstances.

He won a National Championship there. That is legendary, so no not a msg imo.

If Venables leaves for OU, we are in perfect position to strike back against Clemson and recover some of the territory lost during the past 12 years.

That would be a crushing blow to their program. I hope he's the Sooner HC next year.

Clemson has won at least 10 games every year since 2010. And even in their "down year" they are 9-3 and played UGA better than anyone else did.

Wow. Time flies. Didn’t realize it has been 10 years that Clemson has been a top program. That is more than enough. They’ve had their decade of pretending to be one of the big boys. Time for them to get back to ‘normal’ so we can also get back to ‘normal’. A great start would be for them to lose their OC and DC.

Could all be fake news or smoke. But if it’s not it’s great for us. We can relax and I think Clemson would fall of their perch without a defensive mastermind or a generational QB. Figured we could dwell on a positive rumor instead of tearing our hair out in anxiety as I’ve been doing for some time now
Heard same but that just normal bs to be honest. Could be truth but pure speculation

Wow. Time flies. Didn’t realize it has been 10 years that Clemson has been a top program. That is more than enough. They’ve had their decade of pretending to be one of the big boys. Time for them to get back to ‘normal’ so we can also get back to ‘normal’. A great start would be for them to lose their OC and DC.

They didn't really become national title contenders till 2015 though. They struggled getting over that hump from being really good to being elite. Kinda like Texas A&M recently.

If Venables does go back to OU Dabo's days of winning at Clemson begins it's death spiral.

USC screwed us in 2009 with the Kiffin debacle. It could have been handled a lot better by all parties. Now they have basically done the same to Oklahoma.

It wasn't classless. It's doing your job. USC's AD at the time had one job only. Get the best coach for his program and players.

So was Stoops

I know this has been said, but most of these uber successful defensive coaches - aside from Kirby - were hired before the game began shifting to where it is today with offenses dominating defenses. Kirby and to an extent Mel Tucker (though he's in the B1G, which is a slower more pro-style league) are something of anomalies right now. The rules favor the offense, and in my estimation it's easier to have a seaosn that can be sold as successful if your offense is exciting.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I know this has been said, but most of these uber successful defensive coaches - aside from Kirby - were hired before the game began shifting to where it is today with offenses dominating defenses. Kirby and to an extent Mel Tucker (though he's in the B1G, which is a slower more pro-style league) are something of anomalies right now. The rules favor the offense, and in my estimation it's easier to have a seaosn that can be sold as successful if your offense is exciting.
The two most dominant coaches in the most dominant leagues are defensive minded coaches? That said, I think regardless of what background a coach has, the best value both. I think that is clearly Saban. He has Georgia’s number so far.

The two most dominant coaches in the most dominant leagues are defensive minded coaches? That said, I think regardless of what background a coach has, the best value both. I think that is clearly Saban. He has Georgia’s number so far.

It's true. Recruiting is an enormous part of this as well. Georgia and Alabama are utterly stocked with star players.

Likewise, Georgia's offense has been really effective this season. Unless I'm mistaken, they average over 40 points a game. The defense puts the offense in fantastic positions, but it is still producing at a super high level.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
He apparently didn’t want OUR job when it was open. (Was it ever confirmed that Fulmer reached out to him)?

I don't think so. Once Fulmer came in, there were only three names mentioned. Pruitt, Tucker, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head. (Steele, Thanks GuntersVol)

Last edited:
USC screwed us in 2009 with the Kiffin debacle. It could have been handled a lot better by all parties. Now they have basically done the same to Oklahoma.
With the early signing date as an added factor, it’s even worse in a way. Dog eat dog thing. Errybody needs to experience it. Before anyone says that Bama doesn’t? Once upon a time, A&M fleeced Dennis Franchione out from under them and they ended up with Mike Shula.

No. It was Kiffin who was classless. And why I might not think Riley was classless? Well there are 2 slight differences between Kiffin and Riley. 1st vs 5th year for starters. Riley had built something, while Kiffin bolted leaving a job not even half finished. Second, maybe he was not all that thrilled for them to join the SEC. As to going to USC, the California recruiting footprint they traditionally have might be tempting for any coach. But the leaving and taking four members of your staff with you before your ten win team has it's bowl game? No doubt, that part IS classless on Riley's part.

VN Store

Back