See you guys in 2023! [BYU fan thread, merged]

Hey Vol fans, here are some of my thoughts... hope you appreciate my perspective and honesty. I hope none of this is perceived as gloating or grandstanding (heaven knows neither team is in a position to do so!).

Here are my thoughts....

1. Both programs are down right now, but I know this was an especially brutal way for Tenn fans to lose. As thrilled as I was to win, I can empathize with the pain you're all feeling. Just a gut-wrenching way to lose a ball game.

2. There's a lot of doom and gloom on this board, understandably so. But from an outsider's perspective, let me just say that Tennessee football will be back. Sports are cyclical and even the very best of programs have their down years. USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan... and on and on. You have too much tradition and too strong of a fanbase and program to stay down forever. Stay loyal... it will be well the sweeter when you get it turned around.

3. I'm kicking myself for not attending this game. I consider your stadium and atmosphere as a top 5-10 in all of cfb, so I don't know why I didn't go. Stupid!

4. I realize you have a tough schedule (as always), so a bowl is unlikely at this point, but I genuinely hope you can improve throughout the year and at least make some noise in the SEC and cause some chaos.

I am predicting 7 wins for BYU. 2 upcoming tough games against USC and Washington, and then a bunch of games against underrated teams like Utah State, Boise State, etc.

5. Just my opinion, but I thought Tenn caught a lot of breaks in this game.

The sideline catch that went to replay and was overturned... how in the world did any official deem that "indisputably evidence" of a catch? Agree or disagree? I just hate the inconsistency of replay.

The 4th down tipped pass that was caught for a TD... that was a game-changer.

Lastly, late in the game, I though BYU got a terrible spot on a run that was marked a yard short of the first down... we then threw an incomplete ball on 3rd and 1 (why?!!) and ended up punting and squandering momentum.

Yeah, I realize I'm a homer, and you all can probably point out a lot of calls that went against Tenn, but I thought all 3 of these were HUGE breaks for Tenn.

6. The kicking from both teams in this game was really impressive. Your kicker is nails. Ours is a freshman and could be a great one.

7. For the first half, I thought your oline was dominant. In my opinion, our DL is the weakest part of our team... until teams try to attack the interior. We are loaded with 330 lb Poly run stuffers, but we severely lack lateral movement and pass rush. When Tenn failed on both 4th down attempts, I thought you were really playing to our strength by trying to attack the A gap. Off tackle gets you first down on both tries, IMO.

By the 4th quarter it seemed like we were starting to own the trenches on both sides of the ball, which honestly isn't a surprise to me. BYU is a big, physical team built a lot like Wisc and Stanford. We certainly don't have the skill athletes like Tenn, but we have some big, physical hogs.

8. From a BYU fan's perspective, this game was a "must win" kind of game. With USC and Washington coming up, we realized that a loss to Tenn would likely mean a painful 0-4 start for a program that is desperately trying to build.

Although we realize Tenn is struggling, we still recognize that any time you beat Tenn in their place it's a great win.

9. Man, I can feel the frustration of your head coach on that blown coverage. What in the world was that corner thinking? At the same time, I've seen enough alignment issues and mental mistakes by multiple players to conclude this is not a player problem but a coaching problem. The great coaches simply don't have these issues.

Will your HC survive the season?

10. Reports are trickling in on the incredible Southern hospitality your fanbase and community provided to our team and fans.

Thank you for doing cfb the right way, as opposed to Pac12 teams.

I genuinely hope many of you will come to Provo in 2023 and allow us to welcome you in return. We certainly don't tailgate like SEC fans do, but I promise a great game environment and the prettiest backdrop in cfb.

Here's to hoping both programs are back in the national spotlight when we meet up again.

Go cougs.
Go Vols.
Can't argue with anything you said. Dangit.
God bless and have a great year the rest of the way.

Reactions: CU2023
We outplayed the Cougs but blew it on mental mistakes and so-so QB play.

The only bright spot was Zach Wilson's Mom! Do you have her phone number or naughty pics by chance?

We caught a lot of breaks? The most egregious non-call of an unsportsmanlike penalty that I have ever seen, was the shoe toss. I still can't believe the refs missed that... or they did see it, and didn't call it. That was unreal.

Look buddy, you just need to get lost okay? Seriously. Your perspective sucks.

Hey CU2023, please don’t take anything negative said on here personally. People are pretty upset right now and are taking out their frustrations on their keyboards. Appreciate you coming on here and look forward to kicking y’alls butts in 2023.

I only hope that calls are consistent and for the most part I thought it was.
But so true about throwing the shoe. Then again gotta admit first time I ever saw that. Lol
Replay shows the ref standing right behind the guy, and calls nothing...never know what these refs are thinking.

Reactions: vols40
Good game, congrats. I feel like Your post is pretty fair. Especially about the room and gloom lol.
Your interior dlineman are big and strong for sure.
Y'all were athletic as I thought going in, but better equipped for the heat. We put a few long drives together early, but I don't think you had 1 cramp issue.
The sideline I believe should have remained as called. I feel like we had a few bad spots on 3rd down, but both 4th downs we got stonewalled so another foot probably didn't matter.
I really hope any of your fans that travelled (or live close God forbid lol) were treated kindly before and after the game.
Good luck this season, we definitely could use some.

Reactions: CU2023
We played horrible on offense. We left a lot of points on the field. We should have won the game despite our horrible QB play. Call it what it is...you were lucky on that play. Just like we were lucky against Georgia several years ago. You have to understand you are talking to the most beat up, unlucky fan base in All of College Football right now. We have had too many of these kinds of losses...it's just now it happens to poor BYU teams instead of Florida or Georgia or LSU or fill in the blank.

I don't know how you can say we caught a lot of breaks. The catch on the sideline that was overturned on replay looked like he had both hands on the ball and dragged his toe before going out of bounds. I understand why BYU fans weren't happy, but it didn't look like an obviously bad call.

I thought the game was called pretty evenly, but you had a player who pulled-off (or picked-up) our QB's shoe and threw it 20 yards and NOTHING happened to him. That was a blatant personal foul that should have cost you 15 yards. I'm guessing you were pretty happy with the refs on that one.

No way was there a clean enough video to prove or disprove the call made by the ref. By rule, the play should stand as called.

I can't stand the replay process because it seems refs can't be consistent in how they apply the rules. "Indesputable evidence" should be indesputable... and even the announcers clearly stated that there wasn't a clean enough picture one way or the other.

We played horrible on offense. We left a lot of points on the field. We should have won the game despite our horrible QB play. Call it what it is...you were lucky on that play. Just like we were lucky against Georgia several years ago. You have to understand you are talking to the most beat up, unlucky fan base in All of College Football right now. We have had too many of these kinds of losses...it's just now it happens to poor BYU teams instead of Florida or Georgia or LSU or fill in the blank.

Oh, no doubt we were lucky on that play. We had no business winning that game.

But we know all about bad bounces. We've lost 9 straight to our rival and 7 of those games were due to a bad bounce or something strange.

I don't know how you can say we caught a lot of breaks. The catch on the sideline that was overturned on replay looked like he had both hands on the ball and dragged his toe before going out of bounds. I understand why BYU fans weren't happy, but it didn't look like an obviously bad call.

I thought the game was called pretty evenly, but you had a player who pulled-off (or picked-up) our QB's shoe and threw it 20 yards and NOTHING happened to him. That was a blatant personal foul that should have cost you 15 yards. I'm guessing you were pretty happy with the refs on that one.

Not quite sure what to make of that whole situation and I think the ref was equally unsure of what to do. I'm sure he's never seen anything like it, nor does the rulebook say anything about it.

You see players throw towels toward the sideline... but a shoe?

Oh, no doubt we were lucky on that play. We had no business winning that game.

But we know all about bad bounces. We've lost 9 straight to our rival and 7 of those games were due to a bad bounce or something strange.

One of the broadcast guys did say he thought it looked like he was in-bounds. My guess is you felt fortunate that it was called a reception in real-time and just got pissed when it was overturned. Whether it was the right call or not is probably irrelevant. But hey, you won the game...so there's that. I wish I could say that I understand what that feels like, but it's been a while. I can say that I understand how you felt on the replay call, because we have been on the wrong end of some real head-scratchers over the years.

Hey Vol fans, here are some of my thoughts... hope you appreciate my perspective and honesty. I hope none of this is perceived as gloating or grandstanding (heaven knows neither team is in a position to do so!).

The sideline catch that went to replay and was overturned... how in the world did any official deem that "indisputably evidence" of a catch? Agree or disagree?

1)I think he indisputably caught the ball.
2) When the ball gets near Jennings, we somehow catch breaks. Look at his game winning receptions over the years. The QB does not need to be on target.
3) Your "Move the pile play" in overtime showed that you should win the game.

Good game.

The "biggest break" of the game was a complete blown coverage/mental error by one of our defensive backs. Without that play, the game ends in regulation.

Reactions: vols40

Here are my thoughts....

1. Both programs are down right now, but I know this was an especially brutal way for Tenn fans to lose. As thrilled as I was to win, I can empathize with the pain you're all feeling. Just a gut-wrenching way to lose a ball game.

2. There's a lot of doom and gloom on this board, understandably so. But from an outsider's perspective, let me just say that Tennessee football will be back. Sports are cyclical and even the very best of programs have their down years. USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan... and on and on. You have too much tradition and too strong of a fanbase and program to stay down forever. Stay loyal... it will be well the sweeter when you get it turned around.

3. I'm kicking myself for not attending this game. I consider your stadium and atmosphere as a top 5-10 in all of cfb, so I don't know why I didn't go. Stupid!

4. I realize you have a tough schedule (as always), so a bowl is unlikely at this point, but I genuinely hope you can improve throughout the year and at least make some noise in the SEC and cause some chaos.

I am predicting 7 wins for BYU. 2 upcoming tough games against USC and Washington, and then a bunch of games against underrated teams like Utah State, Boise State, etc.

The sideline catch that went to replay and was overturned... how in the world did any official deem that "indisputably evidence" of a catch? Agree or disagree? I just hate the inconsistency of replay.

Lastly, late in the game, I though BYU got a terrible spot on a run that was marked a yard short of the first down... we then threw an incomplete ball on 3rd and 1 (why?!!) and ended up punting and squandering momentum.

Yeah, I realize I'm a homer, and you all can probably point out a lot of calls that went against Tenn, but I thought all 3 of these were HUGE breaks for Tenn.

6. The kicking from both teams in this game was really impressive. Your kicker is nails. Ours is a freshman and could be a great one.

7. For the first half, I thought your oline was dominant. In my opinion, our DL is the weakest part of our team... until teams try to attack the interior. We are loaded with 330 lb Poly run stuffers, but we severely lack lateral movement and pass rush. When Tenn failed on both 4th down attempts, I thought you were really playing to our strength by trying to attack the A gap. Off tackle gets you first down on both tries, IMO.

By the 4th quarter it seemed like we were starting to own the trenches on both sides of the ball, which honestly isn't a surprise to me. BYU is a big, physical team built a lot like Wisc and Stanford. We certainly don't have the skill athletes like Tenn, but we have some big, physical hogs.

8. From a BYU fan's perspective, this game was a "must win" kind of game. With USC and Washington coming up, we realized that a loss to Tenn would likely mean a painful 0-4 start for a program that is desperately trying to build.

Although we realize Tenn is struggling, we still recognize that any time you beat Tenn in their place it's a great win.

9. Man, I can feel the frustration of your head coach on that blown coverage. What in the world was that corner thinking? At the same time, I've seen enough alignment issues and mental mistakes by multiple players to conclude this is not a player problem but a coaching problem. The great coaches simply don't have these issues.

10. Reports are trickling in on the incredible Southern hospitality your fanbase and community provided to our team and fans.

I genuinely hope many of you will come to Provo in 2023 and allow us to welcome you in return. We certainly don't tailgate like SEC fans do, but I promise a great game environment and the prettiest backdrop in cfb.

Here's to hoping both programs are back in the national spotlight when we meet up again.

Go cougs.
Go Vols.

CU - no offense intended to you or BYU fans, but the majority of Vols fans are 30+ years old and have known the Tennessee Vols our entire lives as a top-10 all-time college football program. Hearing perspectives like yours during a time like this in our history is meaningless. Not that your perspective is meaningless to you, it's just meaningless to us. The fact that Georgia State and BYU have come into Neyland Stadium and walked away with ugly wins just tells us that our program has rotted down to nothing. We don't care to hear about perspective on our team this year, the stadium environment, the tailgate environment, or any series of events that happened in the game...and the reason is because none of those things are even a shadow of what we'd want a BYU fan to experience in Knoxville. If you didn't visit here or experience a game in Neyland prior to the last few years, you still haven't experienced a real top-tier SEC football environment, and you watched the game on Saturday, you sure as heck didn't see SEC / Vols football. In a normal year, there's no way a BYU fan would look at Tennessee as a "must win" game. They would be chalking it up as a loss with maybe a sliver of hope that they could "shock the world" and come away with a win. I don't take your post as patronizing, gloating, or grandstanding, I just think you don't "get" Tennessee football because BYU has never played us while we were in our historical form.

Reactions: CJBlaze
My thoughts are we got out coached, AGAIN!
Negative. I watched it again and the plays were there. Our QB holds the ball too long. Greg McElroy seemed to sound almost hesitant to call JG out for not letting the ball go on time, like he felt bad for the guy. We left 2 touchdowns to Jennings on the field and then the long pitch and catch to Brandon Johnson that was missed. I still for the life of me can't understand what Alontae was thinking on that play when he let the receiver get behind him. AND, if Warrior makes an easy open field tackle there, the game is over. The payers just have to execute. You can clearly see the talent difference between the Freshmen and Sophomores Pruitt has recruited and the Juniors and Seniors Butch recruited. Let the young studs play, taker their lumps and gain experience. The roster flip is happening. And I do think there is some dissention in the locker room due to this. Let's buckle up and let's ride. It's gonna be sweet when we get back to the top.

Here are my thoughts....

Go cougs.
Go Vols.
Thanks now GTFO

Thank you for your perspective and compliments! I just got back from Utah a couple of weeks ago, 2nd most beautiful state in my opinion. Your fans traveled well, supported their team and they seemed to behave themselves.Tennessee fans have been through the eye of the college football storm over the past 11 years, it has had many many lows and very few highs. Even though there are some vocal fans who are calling for Pruitt's job, he will not be let go regardless of record this season. This program needs stability and his recruits who played on Saturday give us a positive outlook on what he will continue to bring in as Butch's recruits graduate or leave. Also, he completely revamped his coaching staff and I do believe it would be rated at least top five in the country if not top 10. Ansley as DC and Friend still as OL coach are my biggest question marks. Heres a picture flying the Uintas before I landed in Salt Lake City.......
.utah flight.jpg

Here are my thoughts....

Go cougs.
Go Vols.

Take your pity and your long post and shove it up your ash.

Replay shows the ref standing right behind the guy, and calls nothing...never know what these refs are thinking.

Yeah, this should be a new thread, "Caption this photo / What were the refs thinking." I'll start --

"Wow, that was a quick release. I wonder if Tennessee's qb and qb-Coach took notice on how that's supposed to work."

Reactions: njvols

VN Store

Back