See you guys in 2023! [BYU fan thread, merged]

What an amazing experience. I lived in Knoxville for 2 years in the early 2000s as a Mormon missionary. I had a strong bias against UT football because knocking on doors during UT games was the only time I was really treated poorly (looking back, I should have asked the folks if I could have come in and watched the game with them instead of trying to share a religious message). For a long time I just wanted to see UT lose.

This last weekend I traveled to Knoxville with my 2 oldest boys (10 and 7) to see the game and what an amazing experience it was. My oldest son asked me before the game why all the people are so nice. I had a lot of fans thank us before and after the game for coming out to Tennessee. During the game, the fan next to my son was the nicest friendliest fan and was so nice to us. After the game many of the fans congratulated us and wished us well.

Before this weekend, for me having anything UT related in my house would have been like having a Bama shirt as a UT fan. Now there are 4 Vols shirts in my house and my boys cannot stop telling people about how great their friends are (UT fans that sat next to us at the game).

You are a great example of sportsmanship and overall hospitality, thank you

I lived in Whitehaven for a few months when I was 12, so I've always had a side-interest in Tennessee football but far from a fan. After Saturday, I am officially converted. You guys do it right. The way you treated BYU fans at the game, the way you cheered on your team even when your players/coaches made poor plays, even Rocky Top is a great song. You are a fan base and a team I can get behind. BYU will always be #1 in my heart, but I would love to cheer the Vols along with you if you will have me! Go Vols.

Hey
What an amazing experience. I lived in Knoxville for 2 years in the early 2000s as a Mormon missionary. I had a strong bias against UT football because knocking on doors during UT games was the only time I was really treated poorly (looking back, I should have asked the folks if I could have come in and watched the game with them instead of trying to share a religious message). For a long time I just wanted to see UT lose.

This last weekend I traveled to Knoxville with my 2 oldest boys (10 and 7) to see the game and what an amazing experience it was. My oldest son asked me before the game why all the people are so nice. I had a lot of fans thank us before and after the game for coming out to Tennessee. During the game, the fan next to my son was the nicest friendliest fan and was so nice to us. After the game many of the fans congratulated us and wished us well.

Before this weekend, for me having anything UT related in my house would have been like having a Bama shirt as a UT fan. Now there are 4 Vols shirts in my house and my boys cannot stop telling people about how great their friends are (UT fans that sat next to us at the game).

You are a great example of sportsmanship and overall hospitality, thank you
Glad y'all enjoyed it! We don't mind anyone visiting Rocky top just can't be climbing ole Rocky top looking for a moonshine still and not worried about BYU doing so!

Come back any time we can't fill out the stadium and need you guys! Give us a chance to be your favorite team and when it pays off one day we can say we were fans all along

Reactions: vols40
Glad you had a good time back in Knoxville. Wish we would have held on, but it was an exciting game...we'll get ya'll next time!

Just wanted to thank you guys for your hospitality on my first trip to Knoxville. I've been to many cool stadiums including Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Boise State, Michigan State, but Tennessee was my favorite. It was by far the loudest stadium I've ever been to and your fans are so passionate and kind. Even in a tough defeat, I had multiple fans come up and congratulate us on the win. Classy stuff! Definitely a much more positive experience with your fans than LSU fans a few years back. They were awful. Anyway, just wanted to wish you guys luck the rest of the season and many of us Cougar fans will be following along cheering you guys on!

Reactions: volman85 and vols40
I thought I should drop by one last time to apologize for a certain BYU player picking up and tossing the cleat at your sideline Saturday. It was one of the most classless acts I’ve ever seen in a college football made all the much worse to do it on another team’s home field.

I apologize on behalf of Cougar Nation and every BYU fan.

Great game, great stadium and great ending! I hope you guys win out the rest of the season..

See you in 2023!!!

Ya'll get your fight song played by opponent schools anywhere else? UT is classy about that. Wish they cared more about winning. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Reactions: onevol74
Hey Vol fans, here are some of my thoughts... hope you appreciate my perspective and honesty. I hope none of this is perceived as gloating or grandstanding (heaven knows neither team is in a position to do so!).

Here are my thoughts....

1. Both programs are down right now, but I know this was an especially brutal way for Tenn fans to lose. As thrilled as I was to win, I can empathize with the pain you're all feeling. Just a gut-wrenching way to lose a ball game.

2. There's a lot of doom and gloom on this board, understandably so. But from an outsider's perspective, let me just say that Tennessee football will be back. Sports are cyclical and even the very best of programs have their down years. USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan... and on and on. You have too much tradition and too strong of a fanbase and program to stay down forever. Stay loyal... it will be well the sweeter when you get it turned around.

3. I'm kicking myself for not attending this game. I consider your stadium and atmosphere as a top 5-10 in all of cfb, so I don't know why I didn't go. Stupid!

4. I realize you have a tough schedule (as always), so a bowl is unlikely at this point, but I genuinely hope you can improve throughout the year and at least make some noise in the SEC and cause some chaos.

I am predicting 7 wins for BYU. 2 upcoming tough games against USC and Washington, and then a bunch of games against underrated teams like Utah State, Boise State, etc.

5. Just my opinion, but I thought Tenn caught a lot of breaks in this game.

The sideline catch that went to replay and was overturned... how in the world did any official deem that "indisputably evidence" of a catch? Agree or disagree? I just hate the inconsistency of replay.

The 4th down tipped pass that was caught for a TD... that was a game-changer.

Lastly, late in the game, I though BYU got a terrible spot on a run that was marked a yard short of the first down... we then threw an incomplete ball on 3rd and 1 (why?!!) and ended up punting and squandering momentum.

Yeah, I realize I'm a homer, and you all can probably point out a lot of calls that went against Tenn, but I thought all 3 of these were HUGE breaks for Tenn.

6. The kicking from both teams in this game was really impressive. Your kicker is nails. Ours is a freshman and could be a great one.

7. For the first half, I thought your oline was dominant. In my opinion, our DL is the weakest part of our team... until teams try to attack the interior. We are loaded with 330 lb Poly run stuffers, but we severely lack lateral movement and pass rush. When Tenn failed on both 4th down attempts, I thought you were really playing to our strength by trying to attack the A gap. Off tackle gets you first down on both tries, IMO.

By the 4th quarter it seemed like we were starting to own the trenches on both sides of the ball, which honestly isn't a surprise to me. BYU is a big, physical team built a lot like Wisc and Stanford. We certainly don't have the skill athletes like Tenn, but we have some big, physical hogs.

8. From a BYU fan's perspective, this game was a "must win" kind of game. With USC and Washington coming up, we realized that a loss to Tenn would likely mean a painful 0-4 start for a program that is desperately trying to build.

Although we realize Tenn is struggling, we still recognize that any time you beat Tenn in their place it's a great win.

9. Man, I can feel the frustration of your head coach on that blown coverage. What in the world was that corner thinking? At the same time, I've seen enough alignment issues and mental mistakes by multiple players to conclude this is not a player problem but a coaching problem. The great coaches simply don't have these issues.

Will your HC survive the season?

10. Reports are trickling in on the incredible Southern hospitality your fanbase and community provided to our team and fans.

Thank you for doing cfb the right way, as opposed to Pac12 teams.

I genuinely hope many of you will come to Provo in 2023 and allow us to welcome you in return. We certainly don't tailgate like SEC fans do, but I promise a great game environment and the prettiest backdrop in cfb.

Here's to hoping both programs are back in the national spotlight when we meet up again.

Go cougs.
Go Vols.

I don't know how you can say we caught a lot of breaks. The catch on the sideline that was overturned on replay looked like he had both hands on the ball and dragged his toe before going out of bounds. I understand why BYU fans weren't happy, but it didn't look like an obviously bad call.

I thought the game was called pretty evenly, but you had a player who pulled-off (or picked-up) our QB's shoe and threw it 20 yards and NOTHING happened to him. That was a blatant personal foul that should have cost you 15 yards. I'm guessing you were pretty happy with the refs on that one.

I don't know how you can say we caught a lot of breaks. The catch on the sideline that was overturned on replay looked like he had both hands on the ball and dragged his toe before going out of bounds. I understand why BYU fans weren't happy, but it didn't look like an obviously bad call.

I thought the game was called pretty evenly, but you had a player who pulled-off (or picked-up) our QB's shoe and threw it 20 yards and NOTHING happened to him. That was a blatant personal foul that should have cost you 15 yards. I'm guessing you were pretty happy with the refs on that one.

It’s cool, #99 has officially been shunned for a 10 day period.

Oh and thanks OP, not that it helps but we try to be good sports. Good luck the rest of the season.

You are fortunate that we played our "good" QB. A competent QB and this would not have been close. Gloat all you want, you beat the last place SEC team for 2019.

I only hope that calls are consistent and for the most part I thought it was.
But so true about throwing the shoe. Then again gotta admit first time I ever saw that. Lol

Reactions: CU2023
I thought the calls were fairly even throughout the game. The tipped pass/catch by Jennings was huge for TN. I think we would have won going away with better QB play.

Reactions: DonDiego and lynnh
Hey Vol fans, here are some of my thoughts... hope you appreciate my perspective and honesty. I hope none of this is perceived as gloating or grandstanding (heaven knows neither team is in a position to do so!).

Here are my thoughts....

1. Both programs are down right now, but I know this was an especially brutal way for Tenn fans to lose. As thrilled as I was to win, I can empathize with the pain you're all feeling. Just a gut-wrenching way to lose a ball game.

2. There's a lot of doom and gloom on this board, understandably so. But from an outsider's perspective, let me just say that Tennessee football will be back. Sports are cyclical and even the very best of programs have their down years. USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan... and on and on. You have too much tradition and too strong of a fanbase and program to stay down forever. Stay loyal... it will be well the sweeter when you get it turned around.

3. I'm kicking myself for not attending this game. I consider your stadium and atmosphere as a top 5-10 in all of cfb, so I don't know why I didn't go. Stupid!

4. I realize you have a tough schedule (as always), so a bowl is unlikely at this point, but I genuinely hope you can improve throughout the year and at least make some noise in the SEC and cause some chaos.

I am predicting 7 wins for BYU. 2 upcoming tough games against USC and Washington, and then a bunch of games against underrated teams like Utah State, Boise State, etc.

5. Just my opinion, but I thought Tenn caught a lot of breaks in this game.

The sideline catch that went to replay and was overturned... how in the world did any official deem that "indisputably evidence" of a catch? Agree or disagree? I just hate the inconsistency of replay.

The 4th down tipped pass that was caught for a TD... that was a game-changer.

Lastly, late in the game, I though BYU got a terrible spot on a run that was marked a yard short of the first down... we then threw an incomplete ball on 3rd and 1 (why?!!) and ended up punting and squandering momentum.

Yeah, I realize I'm a homer, and you all can probably point out a lot of calls that went against Tenn, but I thought all 3 of these were HUGE breaks for Tenn.

6. The kicking from both teams in this game was really impressive. Your kicker is nails. Ours is a freshman and could be a great one.

7. For the first half, I thought your oline was dominant. In my opinion, our DL is the weakest part of our team... until teams try to attack the interior. We are loaded with 330 lb Poly run stuffers, but we severely lack lateral movement and pass rush. When Tenn failed on both 4th down attempts, I thought you were really playing to our strength by trying to attack the A gap. Off tackle gets you first down on both tries, IMO.

By the 4th quarter it seemed like we were starting to own the trenches on both sides of the ball, which honestly isn't a surprise to me. BYU is a big, physical team built a lot like Wisc and Stanford. We certainly don't have the skill athletes like Tenn, but we have some big, physical hogs.

8. From a BYU fan's perspective, this game was a "must win" kind of game. With USC and Washington coming up, we realized that a loss to Tenn would likely mean a painful 0-4 start for a program that is desperately trying to build.

Although we realize Tenn is struggling, we still recognize that any time you beat Tenn in their place it's a great win.

9. Man, I can feel the frustration of your head coach on that blown coverage. What in the world was that corner thinking? At the same time, I've seen enough alignment issues and mental mistakes by multiple players to conclude this is not a player problem but a coaching problem. The great coaches simply don't have these issues.

Will your HC survive the season?

10. Reports are trickling in on the incredible Southern hospitality your fanbase and community provided to our team and fans.

Thank you for doing cfb the right way, as opposed to Pac12 teams.

I genuinely hope many of you will come to Provo in 2023 and allow us to welcome you in return. We certainly don't tailgate like SEC fans do, but I promise a great game environment and the prettiest backdrop in cfb.

Here's to hoping both programs are back in the national spotlight when we meet up again.

Go cougs.
Go Vols.

Appreciate the comments as you stated upfront from a BYU fan. As a Vols fan I thought they got the sideline call correct. Good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully when we go out there both teams will be drastically improved.

Reactions: CU2023 and 4chrissy
Yeah the throwing the shoe should have been a delay of game. If someone kicked the ball and delayed play it would've been a penalty.

Very good point. Has anyone else ever seen a cleat thrown?

They cynical side of me wonders if he'd simply laid the cleat on JG would he have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct? Maybe that's why he threw it. 🤣

You are a great example ofBTU sportsmanship and overall hospitality, thank you

kudos to BYU fans that attended the game...great fans....at our tailgate we met several of you.....I think y'all had as much fun as we did in spite of our attempts to sway you toward alcohol....we only succeeded once.....you travelled well, great sports fans and enjoyed having you here....hope we can do it again....

One thing you did not mention were our continuous attempts to run a screen pass. I can hardly remember us making a decent gain with that play.

Do you know that your Head coach is garbage? He will be lucky to survive the end of the year.

Mystifying in why he didn't just take the GA St game plan and annihilate us. Also, had a rough outing against the Utes as far as approach to the game.

I thought the calls were fairly even throughout the game. The tipped pass/catch by Jennings was huge for TN. I think we would have won going away with better QB play.

Guarantano's release on the ball was hesitant several times. Much of that has been due to a O-Line that has not protected him well enough. If there was a difference in winning that game and losing in OT, that was it.

I thought I should drop by one last time to apologize for a certain BYU player picking up and tossing the cleat at your sideline Saturday. It was one of the most classless acts I’ve ever seen in a college football made all the much worse to do it on another team’s home field.

I apologize on behalf of Cougar Nation and every BYU fan.

No apology necessary. With the players being handcuffed in what they can and can't celebrate.... Sometimes you get random stuff like a guy so freaking fired up he threw a cleat. Now that's funny stuff. Probably should have been at least a delay of game penalty but just when you think you have seen everything a guy throws a shoe. Good luck the rest of the way

Last edited:
Ya'll get your fight song played by opponent schools anywhere else? UT is classy about that. Wish they cared more about winning. Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Totally classless when UT students boo the opposing team and their fight song.

Reactions: vols40
Thank you CU. And by the way can you ask your quarterback to get his mom to say a prayer for our program? Thank you in advance. Go vols, go Cougars

Reactions: 4chrissy and vols40
Please ask your quarterback to get his mom to say a prayer for our program. Thank you in advance, amen.

VN Store

Back