Secret Scrimmage

I sure hope the staff has added a wide variety of new drills to improve fundamental skills. I've been saying for many years now that the program could use a fresh approach to running practices.

Zay dad stated we lost by 1 point , but shot 33% from the free throw line and was 5-24 with point blank layups and holly was not to happy about the lay ups issue, but heard we were nervous.

Can you put the link or post a screen shot? I don’t know what I would have expected from 4 freshman... I guess it’s good we got open for 24 bunnies but DANGGGGG...

However wait! I thought no fans or anybody was allowed so how’d he get stats if it wasn’t open to the public nor were stats kept? I’m soooo confused which doesn’t take make!

Reactions: Martic
A poster above stated that box scores weren't kept, so who kept the stat sheet? Shooting 33% from the FT line could be 1 for 3, so that could be misleading. Now 5 of 24 on point blank lay ups, I dare say, is worse than a nervous middle school girls team would shoot. If this is accurate, it does not portend good things. Sure it is just a scrimmage and it doesn't go in the W & L column, but the details of the day are relevant.

Given that it was the first competition of the year and the number of freshmen on the team, nerves were probably at an all-time high. Good to get it out of their system now, and CHW will undoubtedly run more layup drills. I wouldn't start wringing my hands and wailing over this.

Reactions: ruvol
Zay dad stated we lost by 1 point , but shot 33% from the free throw line and was 5-24 with point blank layups and holly was not to happy about the lay ups issue, but heard we were nervous.

I am hoping this post has a blue font. Now if Gule had posted this, I would have known it was not for real.

If this is for real, nervous or not, how do you miss that many point plank layups.

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
I haven't read anyone's response that suggests "wringing of hands" and "wailing". However, a collection of former HS All-Americans (who have a few big games "under their belts") shooting 5 of 24 on point blank layups during a scrimmage set in a vacant gym with very little at stake does give cause for concern. I don't think nerves should be an issue. We shouldn't rule out a lack of focus and attention to details.

First, off I don’t recall her saying all summer they had been working on turnovers. I heard her say they had been in the gym and working on skills. But I dont remember hearing her say we were running plays to become more comfortable to cut down on turnovers.

Also, how many quarters or periods were played? Were there 4 periods ? Did they do 6 or 8 periods which is also common. I am not gonna freak out about turnovers just yet ... now if we get to SEC and still making silly passes or getting the ball stolen then I’ll panic no doubt.

First Off , Dont first off me no offense just a personal pet peeve & if you dont remember hearing her say we were running plays to be more comfortable in order to cut down turnovers then whats the point of this debate ? Im not panicing , just tired of this episode. Hear great stories during offseason without specifications then the season starts and lackluster results are accepted . Not the LV tradition im use to thats all .

First Off , Dont first off me no offense just a personal pet peeve & if you dont remember hearing her say we were running plays to be more comfortable in order to cut down turnovers then whats the point of this debate ? Im not panicing , just tired of this episode. Hear great stories during offseason without specifications then the season starts and lackluster results are accepted . Not the LV tradition im use to thats all .

It wasn’t meant to be disrectful it was because YOU quoted and asked ME a question which is why I replied! Isn’t that what people do on here ? When the board said such and such has quoted or replied ... maybe I’ve been this whole thing wrong if not 🤔

You made this a debate see I don’t argue with people I don’t know. I was having a discussion not a debate, argument, or anything. So my pet peeve is people being on the offensive str8 off the bat. I’m glad that’s out the way and let’s see if we can respect each other.

Last edited:
Yea we’re in for a long year if any of this is true! Seriously how do you miss THAT many layups?!?! Freshmen or not, you’ve been playing basketball for how long?!?! We’re talking about TOP 100 recruits in the country in their respective classes.....we shouldn’t be missing these types of shots from the floor.

My nerves are already bad and the season hasn’t even started! 😂 Holly has to be going crazy because layups are something that I would not want to be spending time on in practice!

Yea we’re in for a long year if any of this is true! Seriously how do you miss THAT many layups?!?! Freshmen or not, you’ve been playing basketball for how long?!?! We’re talking about TOP 100 recruits in the country in their respective classes.....we shouldn’t be missing these types of shots from the floor.

My nerves are already bad and the season hasn’t even started! 😂 Holly has to be going crazy because layups are something that I would not want to be spending time on in practice!

Ive learned to expect the worse therefor you will have an overachieving attitude if they finish middle of the pack . This will be a long season for me and my fellow LV fans . Looking at our squad this is one of the weakest teams we have fielded in a long while. Yes experience is a major factor but talent wise im just not sold . Then again thats just me !

Reactions: cutiepie5
If Tennessee played that bad and only lost by 1 point, things are looking up.
I was about to say - how improved our offense is and passing if we had ‘24 open lay ups’ ... also I’m not convinced that any of this information is remotely true. If true, the worry team would need to be Duke that you allowed 24 open layups.

We've not been a good layup shooting team for several years now. Not sure if it is a lack of drills or psyche related. Hope they find a solution.

I haven't read anyone's response that suggests "wringing of hands" and "wailing". However, a collection of former HS All-Americans (who have a few big games "under their belts") shooting 5 of 24 on point blank layups during a scrimmage set in a vacant gym with very little at stake does give cause for concern. I don't think nerves should be an issue. We shouldn't rule out a lack of focus and attention to details.

Didn't take long for the wailing to start, did it? Based on some very sketchy reports about a scrimmage nobody here saw, this is "one of the weakest teams we have fielded in a long while" and "we’re in for a long year."

Didn't take long for the wailing to start, did it? Based on some very sketchy reports about a scrimmage nobody here saw, this is "one of the weakest teams we have fielded in a long while" and "we’re in for a long year."

I actually had that opinion before this imaginary scrimmage lol this just confirms it for me . Still holding out hope that we can make a FF , but i wont hold my breath.

All responses have been hypothetical based on the authenticity of the reporting. You've provided no evidence to refute it. Anyway, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and yours is no better than anyone else's.

Sure didn’t and I stand by my word, we’re in for a long year! 😊 if true about this scrimmage, I’ll say it again......WE’RE IN FOR A LONG YEAR, if not true......WE’RE STILL IN FOR A LONG YEAR!

Teams are STACKED with upperclassmen and experience on a national level this year. it’s FF or bust, that’s the standard for me, and the Lady Vols will be hard pressed to make it this year having to practice layups in practice! *shrugs*

Well if we make our layups and free throws guess we win by 20. The team will have to do this or they could lose to almost anybody in the SEC. You have to make your easy shots and free throws if you don't the other team don't beat you you beat yourself. Were gonna lose some game this season and I suspect poor shooting and not making free throws will be the reason so the point is to learn and get better that is where we haven't been very good in the past.

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
I sure hope the staff has added a wide variety of new drills to improve fundamental skills. I've been saying for many years now that the program could use a fresh approach to running practices.

Ahem.

Give me any one of them,, and if I can't improve their skillset and make them a much better player over a summer, I will get off of my soapbox, with humble pie as my just desert.
Or...Maybe I can elevate their game after all.
Only one way to find out tho

Really. Wuteva. No one comments on those scrimmages but all of sudden we are getting first hand accounts. The board was tolerable this summer. Doomsday is just setting the stage to be the first to say I told ya so, if things do go bad.

You are spreading LIES. And thats not cool.
Lying to make yoself feel what Important. geesh.

Well Rennia Mom, said the Lady Vole looked solid other teams better watch out.

Meme, sister baby cousin says the Lady Vols made every one of their three pointers.

Collins dad says the team rebounded the ball well.

SMH wuteva
Go Lady Vols.

Really. Wuteva. No one comments on those scrimmages but all of sudden we are getting first hand accounts. The board was tolerable this summer. Doomsday is just setting the stage to be the first to say I told ya so, if things do go bad.

You are spreading LIES. And thats not cool.
Lying to make yoself feel what Important. geesh.

Well Rennia Mom, said the Lady Vole looked solid other teams better watch out.

Meme, sister baby cousin says the Lady Vols made every one of their three pointers.

Collins dad says the team rebounded the ball well.

SMH wuteva
Go Lady Vols.

Well Zoderick Green, father of Zaay Green posted this below in our FB group 💁🏿‍♂️😒💁🏿‍♂️

84BA5DD6-C259-4109-9EDB-D96B63962764.png

VN Store

Back