SEC Women's Tournament

With TCU, Buffalo, West Virginia, and Indiana losing. Tennessee should be in unless someone steals a bid in conference tournaments

Reactions: MAD
In reply to Sophie being "white" there is the "white legs" theory that has been used as humor by "reverse racists" persons.
In fact there is a strong race factor in all aspects of United States relationships that has been long thought "settled" and behind
us but has arisen unnecessarily. Everyone knows what racism is concerning white people but less observed is "reverse racism."
Both "racism and "reverse racism" have no place in this country. If a white person is a proven "racist" or a black person is a proven
"reverse racist" both persons are equal trouble makers and should be exposed for what they are.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
1. I never said anything about "Reverse Racism"

2. My comment was not directed at just Non-white people.

3. I am not White.

I just think Sophie gets a bad reputation for playing physical...Is Sophie anymore physical than some of the USC,A&M or MSST players?......I don't think so.....During the MO/MSST A.Howard was knocking players to the floor and being overly physical.... I don't see anyone calling her dirty.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1 and PG1

3. I am not White.

I just think Sophie gets a bad reputation for playing physical...Is Sophie anymore physical than some of the USC,A&M or MSST players?......I don't think so.....During the MO/MSST A.Howard was knocking players to the floor and being overly physical.... I don't see anyone calling her dirty.

She’s a dirty player. It’s not because she’s physical, it’s how she’s physical. She doesn’t just use her physicality to take up space, create contact for the And-1, or move her feet and play solid defense like other players. She doesn’t go straight up on defense and force you the score over her.

She fouls you before you can ever catch the ball with a hold, a trip or a push in the lower back as the other player passes the ball. She frees herself up on offense by waiting for the official to turn their head and then shoving her defender. Plainly. She does it several times throughout a game and gets called maybe once for it.

She’s also gotten into physical altercations with other players during the game. Last season in particular there were two incidents where she shoved another player after the ball was already dead. Went out of her way to walk over to them and physically assault them during a dead ball, not even a live ball play.

I know she gets frustrated because of the defensive attention she draws. But players like McCowan, Dungee, Carter, etc. all draw just as much or more and don’t play dirty. They might run their mouth a little bit and try to take you out if it mentally, or they might mentally check-out like Carter but they don’t retaliate with physical fouls like Cunningham.

If she feels slighted by another player for some reason she’ll go out of her way to harm them. That’s why she’s a dirty player to me. White, black or otherwise.

Last edited:
If Sophie's a dirty player, then so are a number of other SEC players(USC,MSST,A&M) I will not mention by name.

You clearly don’t see the difference between dirty play and physical play. Physical play is when you use your natural, god given strength to make a tough basketball play toward the basket. Sending a shot to the third row, or taking a big charge when your team needs it. You can play physical without fouling, that was one of the basic foundations Pat Summit taught her players.

Having 3 off ball fouls a game for shoving someone in the lower back when you come off a screen isn’t physical, its dirty. Not making a move to the basket, doesn’t even have the ball in her hands and STILL creating unnecessary contact with other plays.

The last month of the regular SEC season the officials stopped calling her flops as well. Really hurt them in a few games. She’s fouled out of like 7 or 8 games this season?

Last edited:
I'm having memories of Parker and group playing MTSU at home. Game was in hand for Lady Vols and since they were short on players, Pat kept Shannon B. In to play point. As those of us who have watched an Insel coached team play know they are dirty and sure enough Shannon got popped in the nose towards end of game. The game had been testy throughout and when Shannon got hurt you could see the anger steaming out of Nikki A. She and Parker were so mad they ask Pat to be put back in and she did. Some tough love was administered in a continued beat down just as a reminder of the big dogs on the floor that day.

Oh to see those Lady Vols against this MO team with Sophie.... fun, intense game I'm sure

Reactions: VolBall09
She’s a dirty player. It’s not because she’s physical, it’s how she’s physical. She doesn’t just use her physicality to take up space, create contact for the And-1, or move her feet and play solid defense like other players. She doesn’t go straight up on defense and force you the score over her.

She fouls you before you can ever catch the ball with a hold, a trip or a push in the lower back as the other player passes the ball. She frees herself up on offense by waiting for the official to turn their head and then shoving her defender. Plainly. She does it several times throughout a game and gets called maybe once for it.

She’s also gotten into physical altercations with other players during the game. Last season in particular there were two incidents where she shoved another player after the ball was already dead. Went out of her way to walk over to them and physically assault them during a dead ball, not even a live ball play.

I know she gets frustrated because of the defensive attention she draws. But players like McCowan, Dungee, Carter, etc. all draw just as much or more and don’t play dirty. They might run their mouth a little bit and try to take you out if it mentally, or they might mentally check-out like Carter but they don’t retaliate with physical fouls like Cunningham.

If she feels slighted by another player for some reason she’ll go out of her way to harm them. That’s why she’s a dirty player to me. White, black or otherwise.
Dang! I knew there was a reason I was a fan of Cunningham! Thanks for listing even more reasons!

3. I am not White.

This is why she’s called dirty. Because SHE IS!

You clearly don’t see the difference between dirty play and physical play. Physical play is when you use your natural, god given strength to make a tough basketball play toward the basket. Sending a shot to the third row, or taking a big charge when your team needs it. You can play physical without fouling, that was one of the basic foundations Pat Summit taught her players.

Having 3 off ball fouls a game for shoving someone in the lower back when you come off a screen isn’t physical, its dirty. Not making a move to the basket, doesn’t even have the ball in her hands and STILL creating unnecessary contact with other plays.

The last month of the regular SEC season the officials stopped calling her flops as well. Really hurt them in a few games. She’s fouled out of like 7 or 8 games this season?

LOl...A.Howard was doing everything your talking about to Cunningham in yesterday's game.........Howard even tackled the MO PG to the floor.

This is why she’s called dirty. Because SHE IS!

In the first video we don't see what happened prior to Cunningham going after Wilson...I'd like to see what preceded Cunningham's actions.

In the 2nd video. The SC point guard clearly hooks Sophie with her right arm. Sophie reacts by flinging her aside. I have no problem with what Sophie did in the 2nd video. If you don't wanna get pushed, shoved or yanked aside, don't hook players with your arm.

In the first video we don't see what happened prior to Cunningham going after Wilson...I'd like to see what preceded Cunningham's actions.

In the 2nd video. The SC point guard clearly hooks Sophie with her right arm. Sophie reacts by flinging her aside. I have no problem with what Sophie did in the 2nd video. If you don't wanna get pushed, shoved or yanked aside, don't hook players with your arm.
Girl, bye. She’s dirty and it has zero to do with race. Just say you like dirty play and call it a day.

LOl...A.Howard was doing everything your talking about to Cunningham in yesterday's game.........Howard even tackled the MO PG to the floor.

Maybe so, but that isn’t habitual play for Anriel. Missouri invites that type of play and thus does not get the foul calls.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I’ve seen a lot of dirty players in my day, even played with a few. I must say that Sophie Cunningham has no equal on the dirty player list. In fact, I say she’s nasty. You can’t just watch her when she has the ball, you have to watch her all over the court. The worst part for me is when she flings the high elbows. That’s not done as part of the natural flow in playing basketball. That’s done to intentionally injure someone in case the elbow lands. Not only that, but it’s been shown already how nasty she is when she jerks on an opposing player from behind. Just plain NASTY!! I grew up with a player who would have knocked her teeth out. It was my sister!! Nasty!! 😂😂😂

I just saw the video of Cunningham pulling Cliney's hair....Now that was definitely a dirty play.

I'm starting to lean towards Cunningham being a dirty player....I still wish we had a player like Sophie on Tennessee....without the dirtiness of course.

Reactions: Bighairlol
I just saw the video of Cunningham pulling Cliney's hair....Now that was definitely a dirty play.

I'm starting to lean towards Cunningham being a dirty player....I still wish we had a player like Sophie on Tennessee....without the dirtiness of course.

Agreed.

Arkansas may not win but they are fun to watch and if it is between us and them they deserve that last spot!

It’s not between us and them though. They needed this game, no where close to being in without it.
Creme said he had Arky as first four out going into this game. Sounds like it's close. Tennessee may look better on paper, but they have 0 top 25 wins and Arky has two...plus the recent run to the SECT final.

I don't think anything is certain until next Monday. It will be interesting for sure to see how this plays out.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Will not be watching any Lady Vols games until the abysmal coaching staff is replaced. It is a travesty what has happened to such a proud program. The really sad part is that the players don't even seem to care from what I've seen.
I love the Lady Vols but at this point I do not think we deserve to go to the NCAA's. During the last month our playing and coaching has been dismal. In reality, we have been our own worse enemy, especially considering the talent on this team.

She’s dirty!

VN Store

Back